Yarrow models in a North Shields Grocer's shop

CJGibson

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
I had a search for something similar on the forum, but found nowt.
The attached photo was taken in a grocer's shop in North Shields, just down the Tyne from Yarrow's warship yard.

Thought someone on the forum could identify them. The upper one looks most interesting.

Chris

Attachments

• WP_20140802_14_34_05_Pro.jpg
    WP_20140802_14_34_05_Pro.jpg
    331.4 KB · Views: 938
Well the armament looks like the Bofors ASW mortar up front followed by the French 100mm light weight gun turret and some Standard box launchers at the stern. So most likely an export design offering circa 1970s?

The lower one is the Island class patrol ship that we used in the 80s, the upper one looks to be an export corvette design probably in competition with Vospers

Sorry for the thread 'Necromancy', but just came across your picture Chris.
Not sure where you found it, but see the attached (identical) picture - same date etc. The date is the Metadata tag from my original photo, it was taken on a Nokia Lunia 1020 mobile phone.
I took this in Castle Road in Portsmouth. The models were in the window of a shop selling Militaria.
Sorry.

Attachments

• 2014-08-02 14.34.04.jpg
    2014-08-02 14.34.04.jpg
    338.9 KB · Views: 494
This picture is from Google earth and the arrow shows the shop window where the models were. The shop has changed hands from when I took the picture....

Attachments

• Castle Road, Southsea 2.png
    Castle Road, Southsea 2.png
    966.4 KB · Views: 438
I am confused, but interested.

Nokia 1020 is correct, but I haven't been to Portsmouth since 1992! Mind you, I use my phone as a phone and a camera, so the GPS probably wasn't switched on anyway. It confuses Them.

North Shields, as in Geordieland, is hundreds of miles from Portsmouth.

Chris

Well oil beef hooked!

On Google Earth Street view you can walk into the shop and look around! Lots of ship models on display.

It's on Union Quay, North Shields.

Mods, is it the done thing to post these? If not, please delete them.

Chris

Attachments

• The Grocer.jpg
    The Grocer.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 338
  • inside shop.jpg
    inside shop.jpg
    320.5 KB · Views: 348
CJGibson said:
Mods, is it the done thing to post these? If not, please delete them.

At least one project is included, so it's absolutely ok, I think. ;)

Chris.
The only thing I can say is SPOOKY!!!
It is bizarre that the display layout is the same in two completely separate towns!
There must be a rift in the space/time continuum :eek:

Hi,
Sorry for dredging this thread up again, but I stumbled across it just recently and noticed that the model in question looks a lot like a design that was called the Vicker's Vedette. I think that there were different variants proposed, but it the bottom part of the image below you can see a version outfitted with a BOFORS ASW mortar forward, what looks like a 4.5in gun aft of that, and some sort of box launchers at the stern.

Pat
$_3.JPG