Elytron 2S - Box-Wing Tilt rotor

robunos

You're Mad, You Are.....
Reaction score
http://innovation.uk.msn.com/design/the-incredible-new-way-to-fly

Have to say, the disc loading appears to be a trifle high...

cheers,
Robin.

Attachments

• Elytron 2S - A6D820F42DB7E5F387499417AF95C7.jpg
    Elytron 2S - A6D820F42DB7E5F387499417AF95C7.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 886
  • Elytron 2S - FD590135B685D201D62B87DAB86A2.jpg
    Elytron 2S - FD590135B685D201D62B87DAB86A2.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 38
  • Elytron 2S - FC7FB67FBFDA1D580276A7139977B.jpg
    Elytron 2S - FC7FB67FBFDA1D580276A7139977B.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 812
  • Elytron 2S - EE5F8FC0287B20434E489FB2357F0.jpg
    Elytron 2S - EE5F8FC0287B20434E489FB2357F0.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 834
  • Elytron 2S - 88ED7BBDFD4E71A4BA6DC48801EB5.jpg
    Elytron 2S - 88ED7BBDFD4E71A4BA6DC48801EB5.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 862
  • Elytron 2S - 9962F57FF9967E3CCC9C1EB02958BC.jpg
    Elytron 2S - 9962F57FF9967E3CCC9C1EB02958BC.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 876
If you have no intention of operating around the outside of the aircraft in a hover, or landing it in dust environments (as in on landing pads), then the disc loading is probably not as much an issue. More intriguing to me is how the box wing impinges on the airflow of the rotor in the hover mode.

think in the hover mode the forward wing experienced terrible flutter

yasotay said:
...More intriguing to me is how the box wing impinges on the airflow of the rotor in the hover mode.

Haven't found any 3-view still yet, but using the side and front view from the Elytron site, I tried to
tinker a provisional upper side view and, although I'm not sure, the pure projection of the rotoprops
may been clear.Depends on the position of the rotation axis, of course ..

Attachments

• Elytron.jpg
    Elytron.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 18
yasotay said:
If you have no intention of operating around the outside of the aircraft in a hover, or landing it in dust environments (as in on landing pads), then the disc loading is probably not as much an issue. More intriguing to me is how the box wing impinges on the airflow of the rotor in the hover mode.

Oh... :-[
I was under the impression that a low disc loading was desirable for efficient hover performance...

cheers,
Robin.

Doesn't the second to last pic in the original post show a view from the top down with the rotors in hover mode? Seems to show quite a lot of clearance between the rotor disk and the wing surfaces.

robunos said:
yasotay said:

Oh... :-[
I was under the impression that a low disc loading was desirable for efficient hover performance...

cheers,
Robin.
You are correct that lower disc loading is desired or hovering. However low disk loading is usually less efficient at higher speeds. If you plan to hover for long periods then you want lower disk loading. If you want to cruise fast and only do VTOL at takeoff and landing then the higher disk loading is acceptable.

Ahh...now I understand... ;D
Another hole in my knowledge plugged..

cheers,
Robin.

Hi All -

The most recent website info - http://www.nextbigfuture.com/2016/10/vertical-takeoff-and-landing-boxwing.html

The 10 seat version is rather attractive. A large R/C model should be a good way of prototyping and getting some "optics" for the real thing.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Attachments

• 4S_Perspective_View.png
    4S_Perspective_View.png
    165.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 4S_Top_View.png
    4S_Top_View.png
    85.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 7S_Front_View.png
    7S_Front_View.png
    133.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 7S_Top_View.png
    7S_Top_View.png
    188 KB · Views: 47
  • boxwing400mph.png
    boxwing400mph.png
    46.5 KB · Views: 61
  • Elytron_AirTaxi_web.jpg
    Elytron_AirTaxi_web.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 71
  • Elytron_Oil&Gas_web.jpg
    Elytron_Oil&Gas_web.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 102
  • elytronboxwing.jpg
    elytronboxwing.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 94
  • 2S_and_7S.png
    2S_and_7S.png
    136.4 KB · Views: 46
I believe there has been a set back with this program with the demonstrator/prototype having crashed. Thankfully the pilot survived the crash.

yasotay said:

Some NASA folks have been doing some low-level work, to be followed later by wind tunnel testing. I am sure there is some adverse effect due to the presence of the wings compared to the isolated rotor case. It turns out a more troubling problem is in cruise, where depending on AOA the prop outflow messes with the lift distribution balance between front and rear wing, causing pitching moments. I shudder to think what's actually happening in transition when they're pivoting the props...

I presume they're using cyclic on the prop / rotors for pitch control in the hover? I say that because I don't see any other method (puffers / fans etc.) in the drawings.
There looks to be quite a lot of fuselage [length] relative to the radius of the prop / rotors. 'Gut feeling' says pitch control in the hover could be an issue (the V22 appears to have much larger props to get away from this...). Thoughts?

I think the website says they have the option of either a nose or tail pitch fan, the former being favored. louvers in the wing stubs provide control in the other axes.

AeroFranz said:
I think the website says they have the option of either a nose or tail pitch fan, the former being favored. louvers in the wing stubs provide control in the other axes.

Thanks for that. I think that's an option they'll be taking up.....

Ouch - amazing the pilot walked away from that...

Thanks! Mark

So a question-- if this actually ever works, would it have any applicability for military uses?