Top Contributor
Reaction score
Website
www.generalstaff.org
Found at NARA II.

MIT RAD Lab Project (AN/APG-5-47)

Taken at Bedford on 4-11-1945.

Described as:
Fuselage bulge to accomodate LHTR + range unit in P-51.

Attachments

• P-51D Bulged Radar.jpg
    P-51D Bulged Radar.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 223
Where did they put the antenna?! I know it was a slightly smaller dish than the AGLT, but not that small.

Is it technically feasable to radiate through the propeller disc?

Afaik early Fairey Fireflies had their podded radar unit inluding the dish antenna centrally under the fuselage behind the propeller arc. I do not know if this arrangement lead to a performance penalty for the radar.

Is it technically feasable to radiate through the propeller disc?

Afaik early Fairey Fireflies had their podded radar unit inluding the dish antenna centrally under the fuselage behind the propeller arc. I do not know if this arrangement lead to a performance penalty for the radar.
If you have relatively small antenna (which many were in times of props) and have it placed under/over rotor, you can theoretically synchronyse it with blades (same as with MGs). But that would take some effort and should be looked at specific radars with their pulse lenght/frequency. With CW radars... That won't be too handy imo.

Would not the returning signals be partially blocked by the advancing propblade? Of course a short pulse length could help. Would be interesting to know how Fairey did it.