your favorite documentaries

phrenzy

as long as all they ask me about is the air war...
Reaction score
I have a week and a bit left of uni holidays and I'd really like to get some documentary watching in. I'm a bit of a documentary junkie at the best of times so I'm always after suggestions. I figure people here will have some pretty interesting suggestions in line with my own interests and since I'm also pretty sure other people will be interested in some good documentaries a new thread would be worthwhile.

To kick things off here are a few of my favorites along with a few I've found recently:

The frontiers of flight: an excellent series covering the primarily American history if early flight. It's aged a little but in a very charming way, it's always interesting and has great interviews with some genuine legends, some no longer around to be interviewed (they dont make Bob Hoovers or Scott Crossfields anymore ).

World at war: an in depth look at world War 2 in 26 episodes. Another older series but this allowed them to get interviews with everyone from Adolf Galland to Louis Mountbatten. Very interesting and more informative than a semester uni course on the subject. Lawrence olivier narrates with great effect.

All watched over by machines of loving grace: don't let the title put you off, it is as eccentric as is sounds but it's also deeply fascinating. It's a look at how modern theories describing human nature and our place in the world have changed over time and how our view of ourselves effects Everything from government policy to the lives of the scientist and philosophers who research such things. Don't let my inadequate description out you off, it's a great series. It's from Adam Curtis and it certainly has his trademark style but it works well in the series favor.

War with gwynne dyer: another older series that is trapped in the cold war but for that reason is interesting both in its own right and for its historiography. Gwynne, a former Navy man, looks at the structure, psychology and logic of the military and war.

The three rocketeers: a great bbc one off on reaction engines and its history and current work on the engine they hope will power the skylon.

A lot of them are available on YouTube if your feeling cheeky, I think all of them are worth a watch if you have time.

I'd love some more serious aerospace documentaries, perhaps a little more in depth than Great Planes, but anything that appeals to most of the people here will likely appeal to me so anything interesting on any topic will do.

Have at it!

Does it have to be aviation related? I like the "When we left Earth" series. I also heard good things about the new Cosmos series.

phrenzy said:
World at war: an in depth look at world War 2 in 26 episodes. Another older series but this allowed them to get interviews with everyone from Adolf Galland to Louis Mountbatten. Very interesting and more informative than a semester uni course on the subject. Lawrence olivier narrates with great effect.

Watched that as a kid - maybe 10-11 years old. Deeply affected me - very powerful viewing.

An American Adventure: The Rocket Pilots

A great documentary on the X-15 program produced by NBC in 1981. I remember watching it on TV when it first aired and catching it sporadically over the years.

YouTube has to be appreciated for making it possible for the masses to see video that would rarely be seen were it not for the efforts of the YouTube posters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07nZxVxX8n4

RadicalDisconnect said:
Does it have to be aviation related? I like the "When we left Earth" series. I also heard good things about the new Cosmos series.

I don't think it has to be aviation related, I'd be fairly confident that general curiosity is a pretty universal theme on this forum.

"Moon Machines" Discovery channel doku about the Apollo program

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0llpEor_YAY

6 episode with never before seen footage and guy building the hardware talk about it!

one: The Saturn V Rocket
two: The Command Module
three: The Navigation Computer
four: The Lunar Module
five: The Space Suit
six: The Lunar Rover

I enjoyed Wings on the Discovery Channel. The series also incorporated Great Planes. I also enjoyed the unrelated Wings of Russia series.

Triton said:
I enjoyed Wings on the Discovery Channel. The series also incorporated Great Planes. I also enjoyed the unrelated Wings of Russia series.

There were also some good ones on The Learning Channel as well as The History Channel. Good luck trying to find any of those documentaries though. :'(

I also found Su-27: The Best Fighter in the World to be a very interesting documentary on the development of the Sukhoi Su-27.

sferrin said:
Triton said:

There were also some good ones on The Learning Channel as well as The History Channel. Good luck trying to find any of those documentaries though. :'(

*Cough* YouTube *Cough*

PaulMM (Overscan) said:
phrenzy said:

Watched that as a kid - maybe 10-11 years old. Deeply affected me - very powerful viewing.

Still the benchmark against which all other war doco's are measured. I too watched it as a child and have copies here - have watched a number of times.

Richard N said:
An American Adventure: The Rocket Pilots

A great documentary on the X-15 program produced by NBC in 1981. I remember watching it on TV when it first aired and catching it sporadically over the years.

YouTube has to be appreciated for making it possible for the masses to see video that would rarely be seen were it not for the efforts of the YouTube posters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07nZxVxX8n4

This was really interesting and new to me!

More of a Docu-drama - Tom Hank's From The Earth To The Moon is a good series. Then there was that theatrical released "For All Mankind." Been years since I've seen it, but I remember enjoying it.

This next will be of little interest to others here, but you asked for favorite documentaries so I'll have to say that the old "The Making Of A Continent" from 1983 is my favorite. When I had a TV, if I heard that it was running somewhere I'd be sure to watch it.

BBC’s “Soldiers: A History of Men in Battle”, aka “The Face of Battle” written by Sir John Keegan with Richard Holmes and presented by Frederick Forsyth is a good introduction to land warfare. Each episode is structured around one of the combat arms or significant fundamentals.

PBS’s “Carrier” created by Mitchell Block and Maro Chermayeff is both an informative and entertaining look at the life and operations of a deployed US Aircraft Carrier (USS Nimitz).

BBC’s “Sailor” directed by John Purdie is similar to Carrier but 30 years earlier and HMS Ark Royal under the lens.

The Artist said:
More of a Docu-drama - Tom Hank's From The Earth To The Moon is a good series. Then there was that theatrical released "For All Mankind." Been years since I've seen it, but I remember enjoying it.

This next will be of little interest to others here, but you asked for favorite documentaries so I'll have to say that the old "The Making Of A Continent" from 1983 is my favorite. When I had a TV, if I heard that it was running somewhere I'd be sure to watch it.

I got so enthusiastic about from the earth to the moon after catching half of it on tv that I went to buy it on eBay and saw the laser disk. How couldn't I? It's one of the coolest things I own but trying to find a working laser disc player that I can get to work with my current TV is darpa hard.
Ended up with the Blu Ray though, brilliant movie.

phrenzy said:
I have a week and a bit left of uni holidays and I'd really like to get some documentary watching in. I'm a bit of a documentary junkie at the best of times so I'm always after suggestions. I figure people here will have some pretty interesting suggestions in line with my own interests and since I'm also pretty sure other people will be interested in some good documentaries a new thread would be worthwhile.

To kick things off here are a few of my favorites along with a few I've found recently:

The frontiers of flight: an excellent series covering the primarily American history if early flight. It's aged a little but in a very charming way, it's always interesting and has great interviews with some genuine legends, some no longer around to be interviewed (they dont make Bob Hoovers or Scott Crossfields anymore ).

All watched over by machines of loving grace: don't let the title put you off, it is as eccentric as is sounds but it's also deeply fascinating. It's a look at how modern theories describing human nature and our place in the world have changed over time and how our view of ourselves effects Everything from government policy to the lives of the scientist and philosophers who research such things. Don't let my inadequate description out you off, it's a great series. It's from Adam Curtis and it certainly has his trademark style but it works well in the series favor.

War with gwynne dyer: another older series that is trapped in the cold war but for that reason is interesting both in its own right and for its historiography. Gwynne, a former Navy man, looks at the structure, psychology and logic of the military and war.

The three rocketeers: a great bbc one off on reaction engines and its history and current work on the engine they hope will power the skylon.

A lot of them are available on YouTube if your feeling cheeky, I think all of them are worth a watch if you have time.

I'd love some more serious aerospace documentaries, perhaps a little more in depth than Great Planes, but anything that appeals to most of the people here will likely appeal to me so anything interesting on any topic will do.

Have at it!

Victory At Sea

World at War

Wings

The good old BBC did a 12 part series called "Reaching for the skies" looking at various aviation subjects.

It's probably a bit basic and dated but I remember loving it when it came on and watching my VHS copy loads, it's probably not great now!!!

The three Disney, Man In Space specials. And the Strombecker kits that followed.

David

'Planes that never flew' a documentary aimed especially at us lot ;D

I always wonder how small a crowd of people are enthusiasts in this field. I wonder how many degrees of Kevin bacon away we are from the history and discovery chanel aviation documentary production line producers.

I have to say though that I found planes that never flew quite good. Had and shoulders above the recycled discovery wings episodes with a new voice over and a couple of interspersed new interviews done in front of museum pieces.