Register here

Author Topic: DARPA Phoenix  (Read 5647 times)

Offline blackstar

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Re: DARPA Phoenix
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2017, 12:04:22 pm »
Irrespective of the merits of the lawsuit, it's really politically tone deaf on DARPA's part to award this contract given
the current political climate, the written objections of Congress and the fact that it's budgetary silly season.

Isn't being contrarian (aka advocatus diaboli) pretty much part of DARPA's mission charter though?

Martin

Well, not in that manner.

But I think marauder has it wrong. OrbitalATK probably filed the suit to prevent the awarding of the contract. If the government halted awarding contracts simply because a wounded party filed suit, nothing would ever get done. Heck, it would become common practice to simply file suit all the time to wound your competitors. Also, just because a couple of members of Congress object to a contract does not mean that they are right and everybody else is wrong. They might be full of baloney.

I'm not saying that this contract by DARPA is a good idea. I'm just saying that if DARPA thinks it is a good idea, these things should not be deterrents to action.

Offline marauder2048

• "I should really just relax"
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2017, 12:39:46 pm »
It's not a matter of the merits of the concept or the contract award just the horrible timing and the political maladroitness.

These aren't a couple of random members of Congress; they sit on the HASC and on the very subcommittee that oversees DARPA.

DARPA awarding the contract:

a. over their objections
b. during budgetary silly season
c. while DARPA has a directorship vacancy* that needs to be filled

is just stupid.

* And IMHO, the current acting director should get the nod for that role but this contract award may be a career limiting move
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 12:45:40 pm by marauder2048 »

Offline blackstar

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2017, 03:40:10 pm »

You may have noticed that it is ALL SILLY SEASON ALL THE TIME right now.

Tell me when the crazy is going to end.

Offline marauder2048

• "I should really just relax"
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2017, 06:05:52 pm »

You may have noticed that it is ALL SILLY SEASON ALL THE TIME right now.

Tell me when the crazy is going to end.

I don't see DARPA's budgetary hearings on the HASC/SASC schedules yet but they are normally late winter or early spring.

Offline Grey Havoc

• _ \\ //
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2017, 10:09:19 am »
DARPA picks SSL as satellite-servicing partner despite Orbital ATK lawsuit - See more at: http://spacenews.com/darpa-picks-ssl-as-satellite-servicing-partner-despite-orbital-atk-lawsuit

http://spacenews.com/ssl-sues-orbital-atk-over-confidential-data-breach/

Apparently relates to a NASA project codenamed 'Dragonfly', which aims to 'to advance technology for the in-space assembly and repair of satellite antennas'.
To the Stars