South African small to medium calibre weapon prototypes, concepts, projects etc.

sa_bushwar said:
The 7.62mm R1 short barrel, folding stock rifle in use by the anti pouching units in the Kruger National Park.

I've occasionally heard references to those units carrying a few special bronze bullets, which act like a massive soft-point against charging beasts. Any truth in that? Can't find anything online about it.

Kiltonge said:
Kadija_Man said:
IIRC they had 2-3 inches cut off the barrel and about 1.5 inches off the butt. I fired one, once at the range and it had a recoil which was nothing short of vicious. What was the recoil on this South African like?

That's quite interesting because the L1A1-F1 was claimed by Lithgow to have lower recoil! They advertised it as having 80% of the full-length rifle's recoil, making it suitable for smaller-framed soldiers.

Generally a shorter barrel with the same ammunition will have lower recoil impulse, since the bullet velocity is lower and usually some powder is burned outside the barrel.

Sadly the UK forces have an ( irrational ) institutional aversion to any form of firearms modification / improvement so I only ever encountered the full-length L1A1

Not sure where you heard that. I know from firing the shortened L1a1 it had quite a kick. So did the L2a1 that the SASR shortened in Vietnam, according to my friends who served there in the SAS. I'm also aware that the .303in No.5 had quite a kick as well, having fired that one as well, and it had a shorter barrel than the No.III SMLE.

The other question was, why was the barrel shortened? What advantage did they see in doing so? Was it to make it handier or was there some other reasoning?

FALs are known to cycle well down to 16" barrels, so for short-range engagements there's not much point carrying the extra 5" of barrel weight.

Except the accuracy would be worse, with the shorter barrel. The longer the barrel, the higher the muzzle velocity and therefore decreased dispersion.

Kiltonge said:
That's quite interesting because the L1A1-F1 was claimed by Lithgow to have lower recoil! They advertised it as having 80% of the full-length rifle's recoil, making it suitable for smaller-framed soldiers.

The L1A1/F1 did NOT have a shorter barrel at all from the standard L1A1 SLR made at Lithgow. The barrel was an identical tube to the other SLRs. The L1A1/F1 achieved its shorter length by fitting a new flash hider that had recoil brake features and the shorter of three standard stock lengths (long, medium and short were available for all SLRs).

compton_effect said:
As a old army sergeant once told me. A R5 will make sure the other guy stays behind a tree. The R1 will go fetch him for you.

I am late to this conversation, but I have to say that compton_effect's comment made me laugh out loud. I am going to use that one if ever I need to distinguish between "concealment" and "cover."

As a side note to the special R1s (FN-FALs) used by the South African wildlife rangers, I can say that Kenya Wildlife Service rangers carry Kalashnikov AK-101s in 5.56mm, distinguishable by their polymer furniture and straight magazines, unlike most other Kenyan military and police that use 7.62 x 39mm AKs of one sort or another. Apparently, stopping charging beasts is less of an issue for KWS than dealling with predators that walk on two legs.

Re cover vs concealment

A former member of the Rhodesian security forces told me the same. The 'terrs' would hide behind trees or a dense bush, which afforded little protection from a 7.62mm round from a FAL/L1A1/R1. Perhaps some of his more lurid tales were true after all. Oddly enough he was telling me all these stories while supping ale in downtown Luanda in 1987!

Chris

By the later years of the VietNam War the Australian Army was issuing about 200 M16s alongside 500 SLRs per infantry battalion. These M16s were used by forward scouts, leaders and commanders because of their lighter weight and easy to control burst fire capability. There are many anecdotes about the lack of penetrative power of the M16 rounds. Even that branches and heavy water soaked leaves would be enough to de-energise them. But these rifles fired the older M193 round which was later replaced by the heavier SS109 round with a lot more stability and penetration.

CJGibson said:
Perhaps some of his more lurid tales were true after all. Oddly enough he was telling me all these stories while supping ale in downtown Luanda in 1987!

Chris

I don't know what lurid tales he told you, however if it included himself, my experience with anyone telling you his lurid war tales is that it's the clearest and instant indicator that he's perhaps a bit of a bull-s***er, those who have been in combat never want to talk about it - and pretty much avoid it at all costs.

Moving on, I think the above regards the short barrel R1 (FN FAL) and the R4 (modified Galil) is perhaps a bit subjective - I've fired both and yes the short barrel R1 does have a bit of a kick, and the R4 has practically no kick at all (or even sound of the shot - all you really hear is the slide/cocking handle striking back on the receiver). It would depend on how large you are and what you want out of the weapon (in combat), personally I would have no hesitation in choosing the R4.

It was very well known within the SADF that the R1's 7,62mm round would punch right through rather large trees and kill the person hiding behind it, for this reason a few soldiers would use it (funny enough mostly members of 201/202/203 Bn's who were predominantly Bushman/San, and who are naturally very small in stature). The R4's 5.56mm round was susceptible to being deflected by things like grass and leaves, especially once it started heading out some distance.

I've seen some interesting footage of both being fired into separate 25 Liter metal drums filled with water, the R1 punched a clean hole straight through the drum (which hardly moved at all) and a little trickle of water gurgled out each small hole. The R4 shot on the other hand blew the barrel right off the ground, splitting it all down the join on the one side, blowing the water out with much force all over the place.

It all relates to the energy (Jules) being imparted by the round - the NATO 5.56mm has a far larger charge behind it in relation to the NATO 7.62mm round, and so due to it's much higher velocity, delivers likewise to the target. The 5.56mm round therefore also causes a lot more major trauma and tissue damage to the area around the wound, in addition it is inherently unstable, so although the aerodynamics keeps it stable in flight, once it hits a hard object (like a human body), it starts to tumble slightly as the rear end of the round is much heavier than the front which it starts to flip over as physics laws take place - this then causes the higher transfer of energy into the target and therefore additional trauma compared to a stable round like that of the 7.62mm round (that simply punches a clean hole straight through).

That's all in simplistic terms - I'm not going to drag out figures and stats etc...

We have digressed a fair bit off topic though - back onto topic - here is a pic of the BXP 9mm sub-machine gun field stripped. Personally I think that 9mm sub machine guns are a bit of a waste for anything more than police work.

Attachments

• BXP-11.jpg
    BXP-11.jpg
    280.5 KB · Views: 397
Chatting to a guy thats still in the army,started out as an MP at 201Bn at Omega, the bushmen guys often referred to the R4 as a "dassie geweer".(Rock Hyrax rifle)

Will post pic of my lm5,h5,bxp and a deactivated Sanna sometime.

Just another pic of the CR-21 - but interesting in that it is equipped with a laser pointer, torch and bayonet (which is handy for everything but fighting with).

Attachments

• CR21-a.jpg
    CR21-a.jpg
    313.6 KB · Views: 365
The NTW when it was still in it's prototype form - It seemed to find a home in a few different companies over the years, finally ending up with LIW. Here with Aerotek, called the AMR and only offered in 20X82mm form - it was later offered in 12,7mm, 14,5mm and 20mm (X 82) calibers - it is now only offered in 20X82 and 14,5mm.

There have been a few changes made, one of the more obvious is the now fluted barrel, different muzzle breaks and various other differences. They have also developed two different recoil systems, blue cap for cold and very cold climates and the standard red cab for mild to very hot climates. It can also be configured for 20 or 14,5mm options in less than a minute.

The NTW was used by a South African Special forces NCO to make a 2,2Km range kill in the DRC recently (as part of the U.N. forces against the M23 rebels), apparently this is the 5th or 6th longest recorded sniper kill. He was using the 14,5mm version.

I did not think this much of a weapon when I first saw it, thinking that introducing an anti-material rifle into a a rather over-crowded market would not be the wisest of decisions. However over the years they seem to have done pretty well with selling it, I was even told by a LIW representative at one of the defence shows, that the British SAS had bought a couple for their own use - can anyone confirm that?

Attachments

• AMR-12.jpg
    AMR-12.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 345
  • AMR-13.jpg
    AMR-13.jpg
    319.7 KB · Views: 323
Here's another odd one - designed/modified for the civilian market - a pump action R4 - 5.56mm, no wonder it did not go much past the prototype stage...

Attachments

• Vector H-5.jpg
    Vector H-5.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 316
Graugrun said:
Here's another odd one - designed/modified for the civilian market - a pump action R4 - 5.56mm, no wonder it did not go much past the prototype stage...

*Some modern interpretations:

Attachments

• h5 IMG_2723.jpg
    h5 IMG_2723.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 126
  • h5 c8_zps5f97087b.jpg
    h5 c8_zps5f97087b.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 100
  • h5 c6_zps947ed595.jpg
    h5 c6_zps947ed595.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 110
  • H5 AndrewLARGE.jpg
    H5 AndrewLARGE.jpg
    328.2 KB · Views: 106
  • h5 10606068_10152642274437065_7304236670783225074_n.jpg
    h5 10606068_10152642274437065_7304236670783225074_n.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 117
  • h5 534712_10151144308021864_193440618_n.jpg
    h5 534712_10151144308021864_193440618_n.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 126
  • h5 420115_10150592396807336_651612361_n.jpg
    h5 420115_10150592396807336_651612361_n.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 144
Thse app popped up in South America somewhere a while back...

*BXP on the right
*Vektor SP1 in centre

Attachments

• bxp Browning-pistolaysubfusilsudafrican.jpg
    bxp Browning-pistolaysubfusilsudafrican.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 124
Close-ups on my H5

Attachments

• h5 IMG-20120926-00977.jpg
    h5 IMG-20120926-00977.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 85
  • h5 IMG-20120926-00979.jpg
    h5 IMG-20120926-00979.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 75
  • h5 IMG-20120926-00981.jpg
    h5 IMG-20120926-00981.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 72
  • H5h_zpsfcf5ad4d.jpg
    H5h_zpsfcf5ad4d.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 120
Its the French LARC F1 89mm rocket launcher. A South African 99mm version was developed in the 1980s called the FT5 and built at great cost but large numbers of captured RPG7s provided the capability to the SADF.

Yep, Abraham's got it; disregard my suggestion.

Abraham Gubler said:
Its the French LARC F1 89mm rocket launcher. A South African 99mm version was developed in the 1980s called the FT5 and built at great cost but large numbers of captured RPG7s provided the capability to the SADF.

Thanks for the ID!

Abraham Gubler said:

Here is a shot of the FT5, said to have an effective range of 400m.

Attachments

• DSC01861 FT5.jpg
    DSC01861 FT5.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 1,224
Abraham Gubler said:
Its the French LARC F1 89mm rocket launcher.
Minor correction: It should read LRAC, as in Lance Roquettes Anti-Char.

As the Somchem FT-5 was produced - I'm only posting it's brochure as reference for the above discussion.

Interestingly the 3rd warhead they developed for it, the High Explosive Multi- Purpose (HEMP) made a rather good impression on RUAG of Switzerland, who bought a license to produce it (and then further developed it). The Swiss then also sold the tech to the Bulgarians IIRC, who used it as a new warhead for one of their improved/replacement RPG-7 developments.

Attachments

• FT-5-01.jpg
    FT-5-01.jpg
    492.2 KB · Views: 1,203
  • FT-5-06.jpg
    FT-5-06.jpg
    275.5 KB · Views: 260
  • FT-5-05.jpg
    FT-5-05.jpg
    397.9 KB · Views: 285
  • FT-5-04.jpg
    FT-5-04.jpg
    327.1 KB · Views: 1,031
  • FT-5-03.jpg
    FT-5-03.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 1,089
  • FT-5-02.jpg
    FT-5-02.jpg
    564.5 KB · Views: 1,199
eGLaS-35 - it's gun was the newly developed EMAK 35mm cam driven cannon, I have posted EMAK's brochure elsewhere but will move it to this thread where it belongs.

I did not think much of eGLaS until I saw the promotional video, seems like we could have used them to good effect in our anti-aircraft batteries (like at Calueque dam).

Attachments

• eGLaS-08.jpg
    eGLaS-08.jpg
    418.6 KB · Views: 352
  • eGLaS-07.jpg
    eGLaS-07.jpg
    341.1 KB · Views: 276
  • eGLaS-06.jpg
    eGLaS-06.jpg
    430.4 KB · Views: 251
  • eGLaS-05.jpg
    eGLaS-05.jpg
    421.3 KB · Views: 272
  • eGLaS-04.jpg
    eGLaS-04.jpg
    396.2 KB · Views: 281
  • eGLaS-03.jpg
    eGLaS-03.jpg
    466.1 KB · Views: 261
  • eGLaS-02.jpg
    eGLaS-02.jpg
    490.5 KB · Views: 283
  • eGLaS-01.jpg
    eGLaS-01.jpg
    361.2 KB · Views: 301
Graugrun said:
The NTW when it was still in it's prototype form - It seemed to find a home in a few different companies over the years, finally ending up with LIW. Here with Aerotek, called the AMR and only offered in 20X82mm form - it was later offered in 12,7mm, 14,5mm and 20mm (X 82) calibers - it is now only offered in 20X82 and 14,5mm.

There have been a few changes made, one of the more obvious is the now fluted barrel, different muzzle breaks and various other differences. They have also developed two different recoil systems, blue cap for cold and very cold climates and the standard red cab for mild to very hot climates. It can also be configured for 20 or 14,5mm options in less than a minute.

The NTW was used by a South African Special forces NCO to make a 2,2Km range kill in the DRC recently (as part of the U.N. forces against the M23 rebels), apparently this is the 5th or 6th longest recorded sniper kill. He was using the 14,5mm version.

I did not think this much of a weapon when I first saw it, thinking that introducing an anti-material rifle into a a rather over-crowded market would not be the wisest of decisions. However over the years they seem to have done pretty well with selling it, I was even told by a LIW representative at one of the defence shows, that the British SAS had bought a couple for their own use - can anyone confirm that?

It was also offered in a single calibre 20x110HS platform. I do not know if it still is.

The more I ponder it the more I'm perplexed at the ( apparent ) absence of experimental rifle cartridges for the 1970s - 1980s SADF.

Having their own ammunition production, not beholden to USA or NATO compatibility and with daily live-fire skirmishes would seem to be the perfect conditions for developing something specific to the SADF's needs.

So why did they switch to 5.56 apparently without any other experimentation? SA industry had to tool-up for producing any new cartridge, so no particular advantage for 5.56 there ( unlike smaller NATO countries that relied on US / UK / Belgian production ).

Interoperability. The SADF like the South African Government wanted to be a part of the world which had rejected it for so long under Apartheid.

Availability and marketing. 5.56 may be NATO standard but many non-NATO countries utilize and produce it. In times of war that could be vary useful to SA our potential customers.

Kadija_Man said:
Interoperability. The SADF like the South African Government wanted to be a part of the world which had rejected it for so long under Apartheid.

That's quite poignant really.

Most of the nations that had adopted 5.56 as a service round by the mid-1970s ( SE Asia, Israel, Zaire ) had done so because of the availability of weapons and ammunition funded by or provided by the USA.

So I was surprised that SA, not having these considerations, was such an eager adopter well before the NATO selection 'competition'. And given that intermediate rounds such as the 7x57 Mauser had such a long tradition in the country.

Kiltonge said:
Kadija_Man said:

Most of the nations that had adopted 5.56 as a service round by the mid-1970s ( SE Asia, Israel, Zaire ) had done so because of the availability of weapons and ammunition funded by or provided by the USA.

So I was surprised that SA, not having these considerations, was such an eager adopter well before the NATO selection 'competition'. And given that intermediate rounds such as the 7x57 Mauser had such a long tradition in the country.

i think it was simply the fact of close collaboration with Israel at the time. Here was an already developed assault rifle (Galil) to replace the 7.62mm FN. The list of close collaboration is long....The SADF's "browns" uniform, Uzzi 9mm Machine pistol, M5 120mm mortar, Kfir/Cheetah development, RSA 3 ICBM, Naval Strikecraft, Seeker UAV, etc...

http://www.milkor.net/downloads/Milkor%20Company%20Profile.pdf

Attachments

• Milkor Company Profile.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 59
Kiltonge said:

There is one single reason why the SADF acquired the R4 in 5.56x45mm. Cost. In both time and treasure. Developing a bespoke small arms ammunition nature is not an easy thing to do. Especially to the standards required for reliable military service. Even developing a customized variant of an existing SAA nature like the Australian 5.56mm F1 (temperature insensitive) or the Swiss 5.56mm GP90 (longer range accuracy) is very expensive and time consuming.

"N boer maak 'n plan" which includes prioritizing what is important above what isn't. With limited resources spending them on something of limited gain like an ideal SAA compared to far more value added investment is not good planning.

Attachments

• Inkunzi_400x300.jpg
    Inkunzi_400x300.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 568
Tony Williams made the comment that this is actually a new class of weapon, somewhere between the grenade launchers and the machine guns. It wil be interesting to see if there is is requirement/niche for this thing. Its main competitor, I think, is the very well espablished and very highly regarded and very widely used .50 BMG.

Note that this weapon is designed to used the same mounts as rifle caliber machine guns, so weight and recoil are substantially less that a .50 cal. It seems rightly to be a lighter, flatter-shooting and potentially cheaper alternative to an automatic 40mm grenade launcher.

Without a FCS ,The inzuki lacks the range of the 0,50 HMG .
the hight of trajectory of the 20 mm projectile is high with 310 ms so the sighting at long range is difficult .

The projectiles lacks of pentration and
it's radius of action is small .
The inzuki needs new ammunitions .

Nevertheless, the vehicle version is impressive .