Help for good books

tomi

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
Hello

Can somebody recommend good books about German midget- and full size submarine development, especially planned/ paper projects ? I have in mind book format, similar like the Harold Foch's Fast Fighting Boats or Us submarines books by Norman Friedman.

Tomi

To answer part of your request, Osprey has a new book out on "Axis Midget Submarines", which covers the German efforts in this area.

IIRC this book had some info:

Ubootwaffe, Marine - Kleinkampfverbande 1939-1945
by Waldemar Trojca

41jRnap6mPL.jpg

Hello

Thanks for info. I have Osprey book but I cant for some reason see the picture in the second post.

Tomi

I have a copy of "Underwater Warriors" by Paul Kemp and its probably the best book on the topic. Covers the whole midget submarine story up until the 1950s. I think he also put out a version with just the chapters on the Axis midgets from WWII.

On full size boats the "Anatomy of the Ship" series has some very good books on the Type XXI, XXIII and the Walther boat (can't remember the number). They are translations of a German series of books and very data rich. Pricey but worth it if you really want to know where the loo was on a 1945 Elektro boat and other such details.

PS There is also another good German book on submarines in general and in particular their boats called "Submarine Design" by Ulrich Gabler (who designed lots of submarines). IKL give them out as promos to potential customers and the like if you can find a copy it is well worth it.

... and maybe we should still remember Erich Gröners "Die deutschen Kriegsschiffe 1815 - 1945", volume 3

Attachments

• Bild-001.jpg
    Bild-001.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 132
  • Bild-002.jpg
    Bild-002.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 134
If you're still searching, maybe this one could be interesting, too:
J.P. Mallmann-Showell, "U-Boote gegen England. Kampf und Untergang der deutschen
U-Boot-Waffe 1939-1945", probably not the most comprehensive, but containing a good
overview of the built types and variants and quite a lot of projects, too. And it's available
quite cheaply second-hand !
http://www.zvab.com/buch-suchen/titel/u-boote-gegen-england/autor/mallmann-showell

(picture from the mentioned book)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 85
Tomi, I think the best book on the technical side of the midget subs is Paul Kemp's "Midget Submarines of the Second World War": http://www.amazon.co.uk/Midget-Submarines-Second-Chatham-ShipShape/dp/1861760426/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1406288854&sr=1-1