UGLIEST Aircraft Built and Flown

Steve Pace

Aviation History Writer
Reaction score
Two of the ugliest aircraft that were built and flown is the pair of Boeing X-32 JSF Concept Demonstration Aircraft. -SP

A carrier-load of X-32s still wouldn't compete with a single Blackburn Blackburn.

It was a clever psy-ops aircraft, enemy sailors would go into convulsions of laughter and / or horror at its approach.

On those occasions when the headwind wasn't too strong it could even approach within a mile or two of the target ship and drop its torpedo, which actually departed from the aircraft at considerable speed due to the revulsion effect.

LOL! But the X-32 was hit by the proverbial Ugly Stick! -SP

I submit the Parnall Prawn flying boat with it's tilting shaft kluge and tiny airscrew. Unsurprisingly, it never flew.

LWS-6 Żubr (PZL.30 Żubr)...

cheers,
Robin.

Attachments

• PZL.30.jpeg
    PZL.30.jpeg
    25.7 KB · Views: 510
Any French Multiplace de combat up to the mid thirties.
Also, the Blackburn Cubaroo and many of the strange and fugly planes found here:
http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/aviation/planes-only-mother-could-love-37305.html

Makes one wonder how such critters - that have to sneak up on a glass of water to get a drink - actually get off the ground! -SP

Steve Pace said:
Two of the ugliest aircraft that were built and flown is the pair of Boeing X-32 JSF Concept Demonstration Aircraft. -SP

hey! it's not that bad. Only needs minor touch ups ;)

Loire 301 'La Lessiveuse'
index.php

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,22128.msg222734.html#msg222734

Short Sturgeon SB.3

Attachments

• short sturgeon sb.3 2.jpg
    short sturgeon sb.3 2.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 444
  • short sturgeon sb.3.jpg
    short sturgeon sb.3.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 450
I agree with other's who said x-32 not too bad. At least it looked somewhat sea-gull like.

But some of these:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 52
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 56
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 40
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 49
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 57
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 43
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 430
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 441
Triton said:
The Boeing X-32 is a looker compared to the Bennett PL-11 Airtruck. ;)

Transavia PL-12 Airtruk wasn't much better :)

Attachments

• 68180_big.jpg
    68180_big.jpg
    788.3 KB · Views: 43
Boeing EC-135E (ARIA)

Attachments

• Boeing EC-135E ARIA.png
    Boeing EC-135E ARIA.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 31
'Nimrod AEW3 wasn't much of a looker either'

It flew better than the MR.2 though.
I would make a rule for this thread that AEW types are NOT included and their being less than handsome goes with the job.

Chris

There's just an incredible amount of UGLY aircraft in the world! -SP

The Fiat 7002, I agree... I think the Filper Beta was a beauty though... (the eye of the beholder thing).

So many ugly aircraft! How about the Pemberton-Billing P.B. 31 Nighthawk? The De Lackner Cloudster? The DeKallis Air-Truck? The Koun Kouns-Craft ? The Kutnar Rotorplane? The O'Neill Pea Pod? I have lots more, but I'll have to go and dig them...

Attachments

• Pea Pod on grass.jpg
    Pea Pod on grass.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 43
  • Kutnar Rotorplane.jpg
    Kutnar Rotorplane.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 43
  • Koun Kouns-Craft.jpg
    Koun Kouns-Craft.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 57
  • DeKallis Air-Truck.jpg
    DeKallis Air-Truck.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 55
  • LacknerHelicopter.jpg
    LacknerHelicopter.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 54
  • 7329L.jpg
    7329L.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 69
  • FIAT 7002_191.jpg
    FIAT 7002_191.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 63
My money would have to be on the previously pictured guppy.

The x-32 isn't that bad from a top and side planform, just from in front where it looks like a basking shark.

Is it true that the USMC did a touch up on the harrier just to make it look a little more appetizing?

A few years ago I would have added in the x-21a but it's grown on me over the years and now I rather like it.

Surely the me-323 qualifies, that is one ungainly looking bastard of a thing. The fact that you could strap engines on that thing and make it fly challenges everything I intuit about aerodynamics.

As a Cobra guy... posterior ugly! It's no wonder Apache pilots have an inferiority complex and compensate with big watches and egos!

Attachments

• ah64dl.jpg
    ah64dl.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 45
yasotay said:
As a Cobra guy... posterior ugly! It's no wonder Apache pilots have an inferiority complex and compensate with big watches and egos!
To quote Jerry Scutts: "It seems that current technology pays little heed to cleanliness of line, but the AH-1S still retains something of the sleekness of the original HueyCobra, far more so than its successor, the dramatically ugly AH-64 Apache."

Still, the Apache has a special kind of beauty, IMHO.

I forgot to add the b-24. Not as bad an offender as some here but for me it's definately to ugly sister of the US ww2 bombers.

It's funny seeing all these aircraft that if put along side traditionally accepted ugly aircraft would make them seem pretty streamlined and cool. The BUFF and double ugly etc. You think they are growing on people?

phrenzy said:
I forgot to add the b-24. Not as bad an offender as some here but for me it's definately to ugly sister of the US ww2 bombers.

How can you call something that pretty ugly? ;)

b91b72c14a1f201874568fcdcac80487.jpg

GTX said:
phrenzy said:

How can you call something that pretty ugly? ;)

b91b72c14a1f201874568fcdcac80487.jpg

Those are some nice paint schemes but if you put it next to a polished aluminium b-17 or b-29 I don't think you'd get many votes for the liberator in a beauty contest.

Beauty, as they say is skin deep. I'd prefer the B-24 over the B-17 any day and a Lancaster over them all.

The Lancaster is my favourite ww2 bomber, though maybe not my favorite looking (unless you count the mosquito which would win on both counts).
The B-24 looks good from a top view plan form but it's more boat than plane from most angles for me.

How about the Yak 38U (Forger) twin seater? A worthy contender.

Attachments

• yak-38___forger_b.jpg
    yak-38___forger_b.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 328
Just a word to say that contrary to what I wrote further up, the Kutnar Rotowing (NOT Rotorwing) was only built in scale model form. :-[