Early Infrared Systems

RyanC

Crazy Researcher
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Website
www.generalstaff.org
The US Military's "Z Binoculars" c. 1944-45; developed as a compact active IR viewing device that would be used for either night-time driving or in conjunction with weapon mounted illuminators -- during tests with the "Z Binoculars" at Fort Belvoir, VA; they found that if you mounted the active IR light source onto a weapon, all you had to do was move the weapon so that the bright circle of active IR light was illuminating the target's center mass; and fire rapidly -- dispersion would then land most of your shots into the circle of IR illumination.

Edit: 100 of these were ordered c.1945; but with the end of the war after Japan capitulated; the order was canceled.

Attachments

• Z-Binoculars.jpg
    Z-Binoculars.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 520
Re: Active Infrared Systems

And here is a photograph of the Z-Binoculars in conjunction with a IR equipped M3 Carbine being tested at Fort Belvoir, VA circa November 1946. (SC 261501)

Attachments

• Z-Binos_SC-261501.jpg
    Z-Binos_SC-261501.jpg
    746 KB · Views: 343

M3 or M3A1 sub-machine gun, not carbine. Although I do find it interesting that they trialled it on the M3 SMG. Learned something new...and that's always cool.:)

What was the effective range of the Z-Binoculars? I suspect it was quite short and the M3 SMG was the only useful weapon at such short ranges.

John21 said:
Although I do find it interesting that they trialled it on the M3 SMG.

They also trialled it on M1919s, M1918 BAR, M1 Garand too I think.

Changed the title from Active Infrared to "Early Infrared" because of this little device.

PENROD.

it's a passive infrared system similar to today's thermal sights; but c.1945ish.

Basically something really warm walking in front of it sets off an alarm; I think.

Attachments

• Penrod.jpg
    Penrod.jpg
    457.6 KB · Views: 142
  • PenrodBack.jpg
    PenrodBack.jpg
    396.7 KB · Views: 118
IRRAD - Infra Red RADar.

Basically a ranging system using infrared that used special reflectors that could be carried forward via scouting parties; allowing you to survey a position in total (visible light) darkness for bringing up artillery or whatever.

Attachments

• IRRAD_Complete.jpg
    IRRAD_Complete.jpg
    769.8 KB · Views: 114
  • IRRAD_Open.jpg
    IRRAD_Open.jpg
    598.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IRRAD_Inside_2.jpg
    IRRAD_Inside_2.jpg
    589.4 KB · Views: 12