Missile Unknown To Me

circle-5

ACCESS: Top Secret
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I think it's British. It might be a cruise missile. If it's an easy one, I accept the shame. If it's obscure, I appreciate the help.

Attachments

• Possibly ALCM Possibly GB.jpg
    Possibly ALCM Possibly GB.jpg
    494.7 KB · Views: 615
Morning Circle-5,

Nice model, I have looked through my bestiary of Avro Weapons Research Department projects and looks like it might be a Z.127 from 1963. This was to be powered by a RB.145, weigh 7800lb at launch, 37ft long and had a design range of 750nm. Could also be an early version of the Rolls-Royce/Elliotts/Shorts SLAM, "souped up Blue Steel" and please forgive my levity...It's from Private Eye and I couldn't resist.

Chris

Attachments

• Image1.png
    Image1.png
    656.2 KB · Views: 545
Thank you Chris,

I appreciate your narrowing down the identification -- glad my assumptions weren't too far off the mark.

BTW, this Avro Z.127 is shown here performing a barrel roll, to mock the enemy. It's intentional...

Ah, so they did fit the jinker system after all.

Chris

the model show some similarity to the Bristol "Grand Slam II" Stand off weapon

A design that fly 2408 km range, using air launch with solid booster then ram jet at Mach 3 then mach 2 at low level to target.
the model looks like Grand Slame II, but missing two solid booster rocket for kickstart the ramjet

source:
British secret projects: hypersonic, ramjets & Missiles
by Chris Gibson & Tony Buttler
Midland

Is this model missing the forward part of its air intake? I think Chris is right that this is most likely the Z.127, though it has similarities to the RR/Shorts/Elliots SLAM and the BSEL low level cruise missile, but the intake seems far too short, as does the vertical tail surface...?

Also, 7,800lb seems quite light for a 37ft missile, even such a slender one as this? With a missile as slender as the Z.127, and at that weight and if the wings could be made folding, two semi-recessed under a Vulcan seems plausible?

Last edited:
Is this model missing the forward part of its air intake? I think Chris is right that this is most likely the Z.127, though it has similarities to the RR/Shorts/Elliots SLAM and the BSEL low level cruise missile, but the intake seems far too short, as does the vertical tail surface...?

Also, 7,800lb seems quite light for a 37ft missile, even such a slender one as this? With a missile as slender as the Z.127, and at that weight and if the wings could be made folding, two semi-recessed under a Vulcan seems plausible?
The intake does look too short - the width of the intake matches the width of the flat area in front of it, but i think the forward lip of the intake should match the start of the yellow-coloured compression ramp.

The intake does look too short - the width of the intake matches the width of the flat area in front of it, but i think the forward lip of the intake should match the start of the yellow-coloured compression ramp.