I'm looking for 3D models for business

tiikki

Why I really should change my personal text?
Reaction score
Website
tiikki.blogspot.com
Hello,

First of all I'm not sure if this is the best sub forum, admins are free to move this to another sub forum.

I'm planning to set up a 3D printing firm in Finland and I think that there would be market for ships, aircraft, tanks, from a list with set prices. To kick-start it I would need those models. I've found some with GPL or with CC license with permission to commercial use, but most of them were CC-NC which forbids commercial use.

I'm sure that from here I could find artists with ready 3D models and I'm sure that it would be possible to find an agreement about reimbursement (royalty from each printed product comes to my mind first). Currently I'm planning to start operations on September, but it is not fixed.

Tuomo

I have some experiences with modeling for 3D printing and I had idea to prepare some from my hundreds planes models for 3D printing, too. Let me know, pls

Jozef

Hello,
This is an interesting project, do you plan to make them as finished objects or as model kits ?
Adrien

c460 said:
Hello,
This is an interesting project, do you plan to make them as finished objects or as model kits ?
Adrien

Not decided yet. And in the case of kits there would be only few parts in any case.
Scale would have impact in it (gamers use scales like 1/3000 and 1/6000) and also design as there are things hard to make as a single pieces. And in the case of big aircraft and large scale the physical dimensions of the printer might not be enough.
Painting is almost certainly out of the question if I don't get collaborators doing it. I would only mess it :D

Tuomo

c460 said:
Hello,
Adrien

Now it is decided.

We (me and Jozef) will start with model kits for rare models. As the project is still in the early days we will provide more information later.

Tuomo

I guess standard models like F-15, F-16... wouldnt make sense for 3D printing, since model kits are much cheaper. Maybe for secret projects configurations like Luft46 etc would make sense. 3D printing is not yet as cheap as it should be!

Hey guys, What type pf printer are you planning on using? I currently am doing some plane projects through www.sandboxr.com for one of my upcoming video games which you can see below. we are going to kickstart it so the 3d prints will be pledge rewards and then later through sandboxr be items you can buy at anytime. Similar to what I did with Endersgame the movie for Lionsgate last year.

Attachments

• A10 hawg print final sandboxr.jpg
    A10 hawg print final sandboxr.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 368
  • a10 hawg.jpg
    a10 hawg.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 365
Of course we want to do mainly unique collections

Attachments

• zdr_07.jpg
    zdr_07.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 45
  • zdr_05.jpg
    zdr_05.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 44
  • zdr_01.jpg
    zdr_01.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 73
  • LFI 412.jpg
    LFI 412.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 75
  • HawkerP1134i2_sc2.jpg
    HawkerP1134i2_sc2.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 61
  • Sample_1000_3_01.jpg
    Sample_1000_3_01.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 60
  • sample_20a.jpg
    sample_20a.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 61
  • Sample_Lockheed-AMSA-1968.jpg
    Sample_Lockheed-AMSA-1968.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 359
  • sample_va559_10.jpg
    sample_va559_10.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 362
  • sample111.jpg
    sample111.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 373
3D printing is most suitable for unique or short production runs so for usual modeling scales the mass market items wont be on the list.

For printer technology there are multiple options, with different strengths. Usually there are four things costing money: finish quality, speed, size and colors. I most likely have to buy multiple printers (for different purposes), but for the model kits I've decided to go for quite good and smooth finish quality (best machine which I can afford) so far I've asked printed examples from 3D Systems Projet 3500-series.

Tuomo

I ve had really good experience with the Fortus 250. The problem when printing a aircraft model is that even if it is a really good printer you still have to do the surface finish yourself with filler and sand paper for coloring it afterwards. Also dont forget the advantage of 3D printing: data and manufacturing is split so you could sell the data directly to people with a printer too!

Now would be a good time to give some additional information.
Current prime candidates for 3D printer in my company are:
for accuracy work: ProJet 3500HDMax
for ABSplastic: Dimenssion SST 1200es (extremely similar to Fortus 250)
for color: ProJet 460Plus and used DESIGNmate CX (same as ZPrinter Z510 and should be between ProJet 460 and 660 as 3D System now owns ZPrinter)

The model kits will be produced mainly with 3500 (most likely solely.)
Example picture of the best print quality with it is attached.

Attachments

• XHD1.JPG
    XHD1.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 75