Reaction score

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    313.5 KB · Views: 986
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 954
As memory serves, that design was a Black Horse-like vehicle... lift off from a runway under rocket power but with nearly empty LOX tanks; rendezvous would a LOX tanker, then boost suborbitally and launch an upper stage from the inner bay.

Orionblamblam said:
As memory serves, that design was a Black Horse-like vehicle... lift off from a runway under rocket power but with nearly empty LOX tanks; rendezvous would a LOX tanker, then boost suborbitally and launch an upper stage from the inner bay.

Does there seem to be many more interesting pictures, events (the AvWeek story of the unknown aircraft commented on here at SP) and stories that show possibly new 'aerospace vehicles' or am I just willing/praying for a new 'out of the black' design to come forward?

If my recollection serves it was like this in the 80's and 90's when many interesting things were happening 'in the black' and we were getting blurry pictures and speculative stories.

bobbymike said:
Does there seem to be many more interesting pictures, events (the AvWeek story of the unknown aircraft commented on here at SP) and stories that show possibly new 'aerospace vehicles' or am I just willing/praying for a new 'out of the black' design to come forward?

It's never too soon to assume that your hope is forlorn.

If my recollection serves it was like this in the 80's and 90's when many interesting things were happening 'in the black' and we were getting blurry pictures and speculative stories.

And yet relatively little came of them.

Orionblamblam said:
bobbymike said:

It's never too soon to assume that your hope is forlorn.

And yet relatively little came of them.

The expert realist vs. my optimistic naivety - damn foiled again ;D

Scott's recollection of the origin of this design is essentially correct. The design was done in the mid-1990s. The original descriptor was just Transatmospheric Vehicle and followed upon the Black Horse idea. Three different designs were done for various propellant combinations. The one shown was one of the denser propellant conbinations, as the liquid hydrogen/liquid oxygen vehicle was, as might be expected, rather bulbous. Later on Northrop Grumman wanted to show the Air Force that they wanted to be involved in military space programs, so the design was rebranded the Military Space Plane. In the early 2000s a model of this vehicle was built, rather larger than the one you see in the Northrop Grumman model shop, and mounted on the southeast corner of Building 202 in El Segundo, visible to anyone driving to the Los Angeles Air Force Station just south of the site. I guess even later it got redesignated as Second Generation Reusable Launch Vehicle.

Attachments

• MSP 3vu.jpg
    MSP 3vu.jpg
    928 KB · Views: 719
  • MSP isometric.jpg
    MSP isometric.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 656
  • MSP NGC 2002 calendar.jpg
    MSP NGC 2002 calendar.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 592
Jim, you've just made my day.
Thanks!

index.php

Chad Slattery photo from the other topic

That's one pretty spaceplane.

Any ideas on what the panel/receptacle behind the cockpit? I doubt it's a refuel receptacle considering what fuel it would use.

angmhalp said:
Any ideas on what the panel/receptacle behind the cockpit? I doubt it's a refuel receptacle considering what fuel it would use.

Most likely it'd be the liquid oxygen receptacle. If it was at all like Black Horse, it'd take off withfull fuel tanks but only enough LOX to get to a tanker aircraft. The mass of LOX generally is much greater than the fuel mass, so it makes sense to tank up on LOX.

That would be awesome to see that pulling up to a tanker.

What was even more awesome is that the tanker was a second Military Space Plane and the operation was taking place supersonically. While no one said it couldn't be done, it was considered a "sporty" proposition.

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7524.15.html

http://www.chadslattery.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/ASconcepts.pdf

JimK said:
Scott's recollection of the origin of this design is essentially correct. The design was done in the mid-1990s. The original descriptor was just Transatmospheric Vehicle and followed upon the Black Horse idea. Three different designs were done for various propellant combinations. The one shown was one of the denser propellant conbinations, as the liquid hydrogen/liquid oxygen vehicle was, as might be expected, rather bulbous.

JimK said:
What was even more awesome is that the tanker was a second Military Space Plane and the operation was taking place supersonically. While no one said it couldn't be done, it was considered a "sporty" proposition.

Thanks JimK
Was the "sporty" supersonic refuelling proposition you mention specific to this denser propellant combination?

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,4428.15.html

Mat Parry said:
Was the "sporty" supersonic refuelling proposition you mention specific to this denser propellant combination?

Yes, the refuelling was considered for the JP/H2O2 combination. Refuelling of an H2/O2 vehicle was thought to be stretching the technology, although, not generally known at the time, LH2 refuelling had been considered for the Lockheed CL-400 "Suntan", as illustrated by Jozef Gatial here: http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,16091.msg187539.html#msg187539

back then at NG El Segundo facility

Attachments

• NG 2GRLV.jpg
    NG 2GRLV.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 160
.....and let me guess, if flown, it would of had to have done great big 'S' curves in the sky to slow for landing speed.

I need a beer.

Hi.

Relevant photography from Chad Slattery Air&Space september 2009 article.

source: Chad Slattery, "Martial Arts: a model shop builds an Air Force for the future." Air & Space, 09/2009, pp.58-63

A.

Attachments

• chad-slattery-air-and-space-september-2009-photo_01.png
    chad-slattery-air-and-space-september-2009-photo_01.png
    553 KB · Views: 132
  • chad-slattery-air-and-space-september-2009-photo_02.jpg
    chad-slattery-air-and-space-september-2009-photo_02.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 507
HI,

Baseline design traditional / conservative for a winged reentry vehicle.

Inspiration (Boost Glide, not RLV) below

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,26249.msg269183.html#msg269183

A.

Would anyone happen to have any more information on the Minuteman Boost Glide Vehicle? I have tried searching the web, but only the Ebay model shows up. I was hoping to make a blueprint of it for modeling.

BlastWave said:
Would anyone happen to have any more information on the Minuteman Boost Glide Vehicle? I have tried searching the web, but only the Ebay model shows up. I was hoping to make a blueprint of it for modeling.
would you want to buy the model? ;)
A.