Register here

Author Topic: Global Military Spending - NEWS ONLY  (Read 45180 times)

Offline kaiserd

• CLEARANCE: Secret
  • I really should change my personal text
Re: Global Military Spending - NEWS ONLY
« Reply #240 on: March 18, 2017, 01:21:24 am »
http://www.realcleardefense.com/articles/2017/03/09/spending_on_defensehow_much_is_enough_110937.html

1991               2015           % increase

Social Security                                              $272B             $882B            +324%
    Medicare                                                      $123B              $646B            +525%
    Medicaid                                                        $98B              $545B           +556%
    Income assistance/welfare                              $53B              $218B           +411%
    Disability compensation                                  $48B              $143B           +298%
    Food Stamps                                                 $17B                $80B             +470%
    Defense                                                      $306B               $582B           +190%*

Disgusting isn't it?  The safety of the country can go hang as long as the entitlements keep flowing.

Per the figures above defence spending increases 190 percent during this period, approx 2.5 times the rate of inflation during this period. Considering this period also featured the near total economic and military collapse of your main rival (USSR) and that US continues to spend far far more on defence than anyone else and have by far the most powerful military in the world your claim of the safety of your country being left to go hang has no rational basis re: the figures above.
If your disgusted at spending on the US social welfare system perhaps an actual political forum would be a better match for the discussion you want to have?

Online bobbymike

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
« Reply #241 on: March 18, 2017, 07:53:22 am »
http://www.realcleardefense.com/articles/2017/03/09/spending_on_defensehow_much_is_enough_110937.html

1991               2015           % increase

Social Security                                              $272B             $882B            +324%
    Medicare                                                      $123B              $646B            +525%
    Medicaid                                                        $98B              $545B           +556%
    Income assistance/welfare                              $53B              $218B           +411%
    Disability compensation                                  $48B              $143B           +298%
    Food Stamps                                                 $17B                $80B             +470%
    Defense                                                      $306B               $582B           +190%*

Disgusting isn't it?  The safety of the country can go hang as long as the entitlements keep flowing.

Per the figures above defence spending increases 190 percent during this period, approx 2.5 times the rate of inflation during this period. Considering this period also featured the near total economic and military collapse of your main rival (USSR) and that US continues to spend far far more on defence than anyone else and have by far the most powerful military in the world your claim of the safety of your country being left to go hang has no rational basis re: the figures above.
If your disgusted at spending on the US social welfare system perhaps an actual political forum would be a better match for the discussion you want to have?
According to a US Inflation calculation website cumulative inflation over this period is 78.9% (178.9 of 1991's value) making defense spending of $306B in 1991 equal to $547B today. So don't know where you got 2.5 times figure from?

That said and despite my full agreement with sferrin this is a news only thread.
"I love those who can smile in trouble, who can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink, but they whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves their conduct, will pursue their principles unto death." - Leonardo da Vinci

Online bobbymike

"I love those who can smile in trouble, who can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink, but they whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves their conduct, will pursue their principles unto death." - Leonardo da Vinci

Online bobbymike

« Reply #243 on: March 19, 2017, 12:19:39 am »
NATO spending percentage of GDP

Online bobbymike

« Reply #244 on: March 20, 2017, 06:06:08 pm »
http://www.nationaldefensemagazine.org/blog/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=2446

Pentagon: $30B Budget Bump in 2017 Only a ‘Down Payment’

Offline bring_it_on

« Reply #245 on: March 21, 2017, 01:12:40 pm »
We really don't need another public policy debate given that the budget has really only increased by 3-4% over what Obama had in his FYDP. The problem with entitlement spending in the US has to do with its dramatic growth and how policy decisions have almost exclusively focused on the symptoms and not the underlying cause.
Old radar types never die; they just phased array - Unknown

Online bobbymike

Online bobbymike

« Reply #247 on: April 04, 2017, 06:43:20 pm »

Heritage Foundation Dakota Wood on DOD spending requirements.

Online bobbymike

Offline zaphd

• CLEARANCE: Restricted
« Reply #249 on: May 01, 2017, 08:08:10 am »
http://www.defensenews.com/articles/us-lawmakers-reach-2017-budget-deal

Anyone find a link to the actual budget document?

Edit: found it, the Bill text division C pdf at https://rules.house.gov/bill/115/hr-244
Super-heavy reading with all the line items, but we can expect to see many news stories about it soon
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 08:54:47 am by zaphd »

Online bobbymike

Online bobbymike

« Reply #251 on: May 12, 2017, 01:48:01 am »
https://beta.usaspending.gov/#/

Not just military spending but an interesting site.

Online bobbymike

« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 10:59:50 am by bobbymike »

Offline Kadija_Man

« Reply #253 on: May 16, 2017, 09:57:05 pm »
Day before yesterday, the Australian Government just announced an $Aus89 Billion naval ship building plan

The plan is to build "12 submarines, nine frigates and 12 offshore patrol vessels for the Australian navy as well as 19 Pacific patrol boats to be given to neighbouring countries."   The ships are to be built in Adelaide, South Australia and Perth, Western Australia. 

However, this will still not avoid the "valley of death" in the Australian ship building industry, with the job losses which accompany the end of one project and the start of another, several months later.  Also it means foreign workers will still be employed to build these ships.  The present Australian Government and it's predecessors are too much wedded to the "stop-start" idea of ship projects rather than one of continuous building.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 01:45:55 am by Jemiba »

Online bobbymike