ID this four engined aircraft Model

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Hi,

I found this picture to a four engined aircraft in my files,may be a bomber or transport design,can you
ID it ?,there is no identify to it on my computer.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    1.6 KB · Views: 429
Hi,

may be a Dornier Do.19,but the wing configuration differs from it !.

starviking said:
Perhaps a Supermarine 318, to specification B12/36?

May be that's right my dear Starviking,

I know I have a drawing to Supermarine Type-318,in Profile magazine,but hard to find it now.

Instead of going for the manufacturer according to the aircraft's shape, what about looking at the model itself? Perhaps it could give us some clues. It looks like it was cast in bronze or something like that. Do we know what manufacturers used to create such display models in the 1930s?

My dear Stargazer,

I think it is a recent model,but if we believe it was old,we can ask that, what a firm in 1930s displayed its model like this,I
never saw any Model to Supermarine in that form,and that's anther clue.

Yes my dear Steve,

and looks like a British design.

As Stargazer already pointed out, what can be seen on this stamplike photo looks like
a cast model. You can finde such models in many antique shops as paperweights and
they often have similarities to existing types, without a real chance to say exactly, which
type they represent.
The source of that photo may be a clue indeed ! ;)

Sorry my dear Jemiba,

I don't remember the source,but I will search about it. and Supermarine Type-318,may be
it was it.

Good luck !
Just today in a kind of life-style and furniture shop, I saw a cast model of a land based aircraft as a part
of an ashtray, with a tail wheel landing gear. And without doubt the "model" was shaped by just cutting off
the lower part of a Short Sunderlands fuselage ... ;D

Short Bros did 'bout that - to produce the Stirling though, right?

could be R. J. Mitchell’s Bomber
His Supermarine type 316 it had deltoid shaped wing.

Source:
http://johnkshelton.blogspot.be/2012/07/r-j-mitchells-bomber-and-his-death.html

There are similarities, yes, but the trailing edge of the model seems to be straight, giving the
wing a DC-3 like planform. The tailplane loks extremely rhombic on the other hand.
About that model I saw,: Yes, AFAIK some components of the Stirling were indeed "loaned2 from
the Sunderland, or t leat very similar, but here just the planing bottom was cut off and replaced
by a rounded and shallower underside. Just artistic freedom and that's what's often can be found
on such models.

My dears,

I think the Supermarine Type-318 is very close to this Model.