Stalin's balls of Steel, book about spherical AFVs

Taranov

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
Finally, book is done, release tommorow
375771_original.jpg

So, it's my fourth book and first, fully dedicated to "secret projects". Inside 304 pages with more than 50 projects of soviet spherical armored fighting vehicles. Also almost 50 pages dedicated to spherical vehicles history, from "Richardson's velocipede" to american WWII spherical vehicles projects.
Looks like April Fool joke, but it's serious book with deep research. Book based on the Central Defense Ministry archive documents, patents and science publications.
In book located reconstructions of 13 vehicles - scale pans of 11 soviet vehicles, Kugelpanzer (drawings based on the my personal measurement work in Kubinka) and "Tumbleweed tank". Unlike original drawings, scale plans made with correct armament. Also in book located 12 color renders.
At current time my book on russian only, but we have plans to made english version soon.
Soon book will be available on the Bair Books site: http://bair-books.com/en/printed/world-of-tanks/

P.S. little bonus - wallpaper and calendar with Mikov spherical tank
http://worldoftanks.ru/ru/media/1/sphere_wallpaper/
http://worldoftanks.ru/ru/media/1/sphere_calendar/

Attachments

• balls1.jpg
    balls1.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 434
  • balls2.jpg
    balls2.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 416
  • balls3.jpg
    balls3.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 406
  • balls4.jpg
    balls4.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 403
  • balls5.jpg
    balls5.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 121
  • balls6.jpg
    balls6.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 132
Looking forward to the English version (or learning Russian - whichever one comes first)

Suddenly I'm very interested on tanks. That "tanks" looks great. I'll buy you book if it's published in English.

I suppose then that I'll hold off until the English version is released but I definitely must have this book! Now, if I could bribe you to start a book on the IS-6 I could look forward to buying it too. . .

This really does look like a unique and well done book, I'm sure I'll end up reviewing it for Armorama.

Matt

I'd definitely buy an English edition! These projects look absolutely "scifey"! :)

I just received this book. I dearly wish there was an English version but as it is, the books is very interesting, the drawings impressive, and the quality of the book very high. Very well done. Now, if you could start working on a book on the IS-6 I would be eternally grateful. . . ;-)

how do we buy this book easily? Doe it ship to western europe?

A.

Edit April 2022: We'll see hat a bit late as it does not seem easy nor appropriate to even try to do business with russians those dark days.

Last edited:
Hi.

Not related but worth looking at anyway. In the Japanese popular culture, board games are very common. Many - if not all, are extremely creative from an illustrative point of view. One of theme, found today while browsing an art dealer for inspiration, showcases a steel ball for a future war.While this thread might not be the best place to post this artwork, I had no idea where it could fit anyway.

"Yamashita Kishi(?) 世界未来戦双六 [Sekai Mirai-Sen Sugoroku]. Tokyo, Shogaku Gonensei 1937 (Showa 12). Colour broadside 54x789cm. Minor signs of use, quite good. Despite the grim colour scheme - a feature of the late thirties - this is a heart-racing view of future war. It was the new year gift from the elementary school magazine for 5th graders, Shogaku Gonensei."

Source: http://richardneylon.com/japan5p4.html

A.

Moderator: feel free to move this post any othe thread if you feel it fits better.

Attachments

• Yamashita10712.jpg
    Yamashita10712.jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 38
  • Yamashita10712e.jpg
    Yamashita10712e.jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 40
A little known subject . This book is a sounds like a must for my book shelf.

"Man of steel" - but I vastly prefer Superman to Stalin... note that they played on that coincidence once - imagining Superman landed in USSR rather than America.

"Man of steel" - but I vastly prefer Superman to Stalin... note that they played on that coincidence once - imagining Superman landed in USSR rather than America.

Well... Clark Kent is nicer, that's for sure) But when you need someone to defeat a brutal Nazi regime lead by insane dictator, hell-bent on genocide of the whole nations... Joseph Juygashvili would be your man)