He 178 Artwork

Beautiful! But I don´t understand why a V-1 - the first prototype -needs a camo at all?? ???

Athpilot, Just a "style" exercise....this project was never be continued and this plane had a very modern shape that inspired some greats "postwar" planes...in US and CCCP...

I wanted to give him one nice"camo dress"....why not. ??? some "prewar"performance gliders (like DFS Habitch) were paint in "camo" for test...

Jemiba, it's not a "reconstruction" of He 178, but i would like to find (with the more fidelity) the real shape of this plane.

I think that the replica is not faithful has the original...like the tail root that is not circular but rectangular and this very "strange" canopy that is not "aerodynamic". ;)
not in body continuity..

Attachments

• canopy real.jpeg
    canopy real.jpeg
    30.1 KB · Views: 34
  • canopy.jpeg
    canopy.jpeg
    51.8 KB · Views: 30
Nose of replica look not the same as original...not the same shape..not the same angle...

Attachments

• he178-nose.jpg
    he178-nose.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 27
  • replica nose.jpeg
    replica nose.jpeg
    45.6 KB · Views: 33
  • original nose.jpg
    original nose.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 44
.. and especially the canopy looks wrong to me !

wooden wings and landing gear... ;)

Attachments

• rhino.49.jpg
    rhino.49.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 45
  • rhino.48.jpg
    rhino.48.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 45
  • rhino.47.jpg
    rhino.47.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 40
  • rhino.43.jpg
    rhino.43.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 37
  • rhino.42.jpg
    rhino.42.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 34
  • rhino.41.jpg
    rhino.41.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 37
  • rhino.40.jpg
    rhino.40.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 31
  • rhino.39.jpg
    rhino.39.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 38
  • rhino.38.jpg
    rhino.38.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 41
  • rhino.37.jpg
    rhino.37.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 40
The website on found these on lists a creation date of 1939 for these drawings. I'm not sure of their origin, but they appear much closer to the real deal then many of the 3-views floating around the net.

Maybe someone can regonize the style of the drawings?

Also comparing them with the one known cutaway should help. It looks to me like the cockpit is a bit different, but I'm on my phone so I can't do the comparison myself.

Attachments

• AKG2640683.jpg
    AKG2640683.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 44
  • AKG2640684.jpg
    AKG2640684.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 44
  • AKG2640685.jpg
    AKG2640685.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 48
gery said:
wooden wings... ;)

BTW, the very comprehensive article by Uwe Jack in the VliegerRevueX N° 50 unmasks the
often read statement, that the He 178 had wooden wings as an error, which is based on an
interview with an Heinkel employee, who erroneously mixed up the He 178 with the He 162,
as the former was a full metal construction.

Please Jemiba ...send me the article.... ;)

Sienar..for me not an authentic drawing dated of 1939.....canopy isn't the same that flying plane and the air intake too....

article sent

As you know...wood parts reduct rcs.....

like dehavilland mosquito....many allied and axis planes wings were made in wood.....

Attachments

• Fuse to wing (5).jpg
    Fuse to wing (5).jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 33
  • fin and rudder fitted from front.jpg
    fin and rudder fitted from front.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 30
  • de-Havilland-Mosquito-Fuselage-Fabrication.jpg
    de-Havilland-Mosquito-Fuselage-Fabrication.jpg
    282.6 KB · Views: 30
Speaking of that FR article, have you seen the online supplement for it? It has some scans of the scant documents that have survived on this aircraft; http://www.fliegerrevuex.aero/1939-start-ins-dusenzeitalter/

Also the book Heinkel Raketen und Strahlflugzeuge has some good info on the 178 as well as a photo I haven't seen before. There is also nice info on the jet engine used in the 178. As it turns out the squarish exhaust on the 178 was a simple variable geometry nozzle for the jet engine, chosen to expedite production of the prototype.

There is also a CIOS report that has a very poorly produced image of the 178, but this is another one I haven't seen elsewhere either. There is a good chance that the photo in the report if of much better quality then this scan.

I also assume that you have seen the cut away posted by jemiba? That is probably the best source of a valid heinke drawing but it is problematic when compared to photos of the actual aircraft - wing root too far forward, canopy that it too bulbous, ect. It may have been a drawing of the V2.

Attachments

• 178 front view.jpg
    178 front view.jpg
    290 KB · Views: 162
  • 178 cios.jpg
    178 cios.jpg
    516.4 KB · Views: 145
In the FliegerRevueX N° 50 article, the rectangular exhaust is said to have been an early attempt
for thrust vectoring. Guide vanes should be installed to ease take off with that tail dragger aircraft,
but were never actually fitted, from what is known.

"No specific data regarding the important jetpipe dimensions and interface with the He S3B exhaust flange could be uncovered. Scaling of the He 178 aircraft drawing from Wagner (5) indicated that the jetpipe diameter was of the order 650 cm2 . This is unfortunate has the actual dimensions would have served as another cycle performance balance. It is peculiar that none of the references comment on the final nozzle shape of the He 178 aircraft, which from several photographs externally appears to be oval. Additional correspondence with Prisell (2) stated that the nozzle was more or less rectangular with rounded corners and adjustable flaps, so different nozzle areas could be tested to optimize installed engine performance"

Source; http://www.tfd.chalmers.se/~thgr/gasturbiner/Material_for_generating_slides/Lecture1/HeinkelsEngine_ASME_2004.pdf

And a interrogation with a prisoner of war, possibly in 45/46, states the following;

"The propulsive "tuyere" is in the tail of the fuselage."

The interrogation summary is produced in full in Hans Von Ohain: Elegance in Flight by Margaret Conner

Looking at the cross section of the 178 I think you can just make out the nozzle flaps, highlighted in red in the enclosed image.

Attachments

• heinkel highlight.jpg
    heinkel highlight.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 134
In the mentioned FR it is said, that the idea originally came from a meeting between von Ohain
and Wernher von Braun, who had fitted "Strahlruder" (guide vanes) into the nozzles of his later
rocket designs.

I know that you have probably seen these, but do you have them in this resolution?

Attachments

• 155_He178V21.jpg
    155_He178V21.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 124
  • he-178-heckansicht.jpg.4979656 (2).jpg
    he-178-heckansicht.jpg.4979656 (2).jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 115
  • 2011_12_Heinkel_He_178_USAF.jpg
    2011_12_Heinkel_He_178_USAF.jpg
    801.5 KB · Views: 70
Many thanks sienar...i have got just the low res.... ;) ;)

I'm very interesting about the landing gear....have you got some infos, picts or blue print..???.Thanks

Hello all, I am planning to make an RC model HE178, and would need to get a good quality image of the Motorcar cutaway:

Any other cutaway available???

Found some sort of RC model drawings, but I dont have more info:

Hope someone can help with more information