He 178 Artwork

Heinkel V1 blue print comparative....i think that the white line is not the real model.... :(

The first picture looks heavily retouched... And doesn't look much like the sidedrawing. The cockpit is different in shape and so is the tail.
So good luck figuring out how this bird look like.

Cheers,

Rob

Judging the small number of original photos, the first picture, although certainly "doctored"
may be relatively close to the original, I think. The He 178 is in most cases shown with a kind
of bubble canopy, that to my opinion is wrong (worst example here ::) :http://www.gemo-netz.de/rostock/diesunddas/Heinkel/Heinkel_He-178_2010-03-27.php )
A correct reconstruction may be a far away from those, we've seen so far, as that of the
He 176 !

Yes,

It'll very wrong to find the good design..... :(

When i look at the first picture of the post, the noze look more longer than the drawing...i think that's the good proportion...i just need to redesign the canopy...and totaly redesign all section of body....many sections look ovoid like the canopy sections....

More infos about it are welcome

thanks

It seems clear from the photos that there were two different cockpits on the V1.

On the upper one of the last two pictures, I would suggest, that there's no cockpit
hood at all, just the windscreen.

Feel free to transpose the look-alike F-86 fuselage - gery..

This looks extremely good. Also, I love the all-metal rendering, though I know it's only transitional.

A fighter version of the He 178 V1 ???? :p

Regards
Pioneer

I LOVE these drawings and artwork! GREAT JOB!!! ;D

Pioneer and I seem to have similar imaginations: I, too, have been contemplating how Heinkel could have built a fighter version of the He.178.

My idea is this: Heinkel installs an advanced version of the original turbojet, installs two 7.62mm machine guns in the wing roots and designates the new fighter the He-278 Sperber (Sparrow). At first the Luftwaffe rejects the aircraft, but Heinkel, ever the individualist, makes a dozen or so for demonstration purposes and gains the interest of several top notch fighter pilots like Galland to support the project. This would allow the Luftwaffe to introduce a true jet-powered fighter in 1940-1941.

Naturally, the He-178 is NOT a fighter design, merely a test item and IF a true combat fighter version SHOULD have been made (the He-278, which could also have shifted Heinkel's focus from the He.112 and He.100) it probably wouldn't be a very effective fighter, with limited range, time in the air, fire power, modification potential, etc. (not to ignore the fact that the engines' TBO would be measured in single hours not dozens or hundreds). However, it WOULD have given the Luftwaffe early jet experience and COULD have induced Hitler to support the concept of an all-jet Luftwaffe.

But this is alternate history and we would have to "modify" Hitler's attitude somewhat and GET RID OF GOERING, MILCH and UDET!

OK, 'nuff said. Time to switch off the imagination engine.

Good work so far!

Chuck

Cutaway Heinkel He-178 free interpretation by Motocar

8615797899_496e12e3ee_k.jpg