American Secret Projects: Fighters, Bombers and Attack Aircraft 1937-1945

PaulMM (Overscan) said:
I believe that was Bill Gunston's "Encyclopedia of the World's Combat Aircraft".
Or, perhaps, John W.R. Taylor's "Combat Aircraft of the World", published 1969, which I still have on my bookshelf!

This book is advertized as to be published under the "Classic Publishing" imprint. The question is: Will the interior design follow Classic's style as in its recent Luftwaffe books (excellent as e.g. in the Ju 88 book) or the Crecy style (appallingly poor as e.g. in those Eric Brown reprints)?

According to UK Amazon it's due for delivery 25 - 29 November, if this is of any help.

Regards

Hi All.

Thought I had better give you an update on American Secret Projects WW2. As you know Crecy have recently acquired the rights to quite a number of former Ian Allan/Midland Publishing titles and at IPMS two weeks ago I had a long chat with Jeremy from Crecy about future plans. There is of course a heap of dust to settle after a move like this and some of the forthcoming books from Ian Allan have been slowed down considerably in their publishing schedules.

No design work had been done on the new ASP by Ian Allan, but we hope to start that sometime in the New Year. I'm afraid the process of getting into print does take longer these days because most of the printing is done in India or China and then the books come to the UK by ship which adds several weeks. Alan and I hope that it will be out by the middle of next year. And hopefully JC's French Secret Projects will not be too far behind.

There are plans for new or revised titles but I must keep that quiet for the time being.

Best Wishes to you all.

Tony.

Thanks for this update !
Apart from Tonys new book, the mention of a French Secret Projects issue (by
Jean Claude Carbonel ?) for maybe next year is great news !

I shall keep on clicking the "please do not cancel my order" links that Amazon sends me and go on hoping for the best.

(On a separate but somewhat related note, my order for JSP2 was killed by Amazon despite this, but I have since re-ordered it and hope it goes through this time.)

Publication date 01 August 2015 according
to Bookdepository U.K....

I'll ask Father Christmas a few old magazines instead :)

I'll ask him for the new edition of ST: Ships Of The Line instead! B)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/147678258X/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687522&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=1416532439&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0K2CA0A6BMDAFACP6TEM

Amazon just cancelled my order for this book. Now we'll see what happens next.

Any news about this one? "Awaiting Publication" is the status on bookdepository.

The new cover design has been worked on this week, and editing and page design is I believe now underway. We hope to have it out at Telford in November.
Tony.

New cover..from Crecy

Attachments

• 9781906537487 American Secret Projects-cover.jpg
    9781906537487 American Secret Projects-cover.jpg
    798.7 KB · Views: 421

Interesting - thanks for that.

Can't find it listed on Amazon.co.uk, but I found this one from Crecy ;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/American-Aircraft-Development-WWII-1939-1945/dp/0859791882/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1431252212&sr=1-5

Amazon just informed me they were cancelling my order " because they aren't available from the supplier any longer." It's probable the real reason the price is now a lot higher than when I ordered it.

I wonder what he means by "special types" in the Norton book?

This cover shout's .... buy me ! :)

Convair tailless twin-engine patrol study from 1943?

The agressor is a Blohm und Voss P.208?

The Consol "tailless" design actually came in a variety of "flavors" as Consolidated tried to find ways to sell the concept. I can think of at least three different iterations varying in both numbers of engines and wingspan, only one of which was the patrol bomber.

The first that I have been able to find was a two-engine bomber - not specifically a patrol plane - with a wing span of 130 feet dated 11-30-41. Another variant was to have a wingspan of 134 feet with a gross weight of 90,000lbs. This version was tested in GALCIT wind tunnel in 1943. Finally, there was a 180,000lb, 180ft wing span beast sporting four engines. This final version was to have a range of 7500 miles.

There may indeed be more variants, but this is all I've found to date. All will be thoroughly covered in a future book I'm working on.

I hope this clarifies things a bit.

AlanG

A bit of digging through my files strongly indicates that the "Patrol Bomber" version, also labeled the P5Y1 by Consolidated, was an attempt to sell this tailless bomber concept to the Navy, but that it was originally developed for the AAF.

AlanG

Excellent Alan, many thanks for sharing it with us.

I'm sure your book is going to be the reference in the subject. I'm feeling anxious

Amazon is now showing a release date of Feb 2016. At a much higher price of course.

My experience with Amazon is such that I only use to determine if a book exists. They announced my first book, "Consolidated Mess" almost a year before it was actually released, allowing a researcher who despises me to get in there at the time of Amazon's given release date with a scathing review of a book he'd never seen. To the best of my knowledge, Crecy is aiming for October so as to show it off at Telford - where I hope to be in attendance!

AlanG

PS

To the Moderator, could you change the title of this string to the correct title: "American Secret Projects: Fighters, Bombers and Attack Aircraft 1937-1945"

Thank you.

AlanG

done ;)

Amazon just informed me they were cancelling my order " because they aren't available from the supplier any longer." It's probable the real reason the price is now a lot higher than when I ordered it.

Don't take that. I just fought them when they did the same thing on my pre-order of "French Destroyers 1922-56" and they gave me the original price.

Dave G

Doesn't the book include any unbuilt flying boat projects (e.g. Convair PB3Y, Boeing 320, Martin M193) or any projects featured in Convair Advanced Designs?

"Hi All.
Just to let you know that both American Secret Projects: WW2 and Volume II of the X-Planes of Europe should have gone to the printers this week. Both (I hope) will be available at IPMS Telford.
To my grizzled old eyes they look pretty good - I hope you like the contents.
Very best wishes,
Tony."

PaulMM (Overscan) said:
"Hi All.
Just to let you know that both American Secret Projects: WW2 and Volume II of the X-Planes of Europe should have gone to the printers this week. Both (I hope) will be available at IPMS Telford.
To my grizzled old eyes they look pretty good - I hope you like the contents.
Very best wishes,
Tony."

Excellent and good news,thank you my dears Paul and Tony.

Amazon now has the text from the inside flap and the back cover.

Where is this book... it was expected for the end of October 2015..?

i have made a shopping list :

1) Midland American Secret Projects
2) Convair Advanced Design : Bomber
3) Convair Advanced Design : Fighter

Today I got my copy and I am simply speechless ... A great book with many unknown projects. Thank you to the two authors. ... and the best: It's only Volume I, that is, will soon be available Volume II. AWESOME.