Lürssen Multi Role Light Frigate - future-design

Length: 105 m
Width: 15 m
Draught: 3.8 m

Main machinery: 4 diesel 20V
Output: 36,400 kW
Speed: approx. 28 knots

Source:
http://www.lurssen-defence.com/en/naval-vessels/frigates/multi-role-light-frigate.php

Attachments

• bild_04.jpg
    bild_04.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 1,240
  • bild_06.jpg
    bild_06.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 1,204
  • bild_07.jpg
    bild_07.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 1,156
  • bild_09.jpg
    bild_09.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 1,120
  • bild_10.jpg
    bild_10.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 1,102
Model of Lürssen Multi Role Light Frigate

Source:
http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/57/64/b0/5764b0b6142903150513a501f0e13dcc.jpg

Attachments

• 5764b0b6142903150513a501f0e13dcc.jpg
    5764b0b6142903150513a501f0e13dcc.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 266
Interesting that the concept pic shows somewhat deep azipods but the model shows conventional propulsion.

Very interesting design! Following cutting edge trends whilst retaining conventional necessities and a decent beam-length ratio.

If the various systems weren't over-speced it could even get customers at the upper end of the OPV market which is particularly buoyant at the moment.

C

Looks very similar to the future frigate design published in a German journal in Feb 2002.

Fregatte der Zukunft
FDZ 2020
Fregatte 2020

(concept study)

6,000 tons
90 days endurance
crew of 100
3x32 VLS
2 RAM launchers
2 laser CIWS

Attachments

• Fregatte der Zukunft4.jpg
    Fregatte der Zukunft4.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 189
  • Fregatte der Zukunft3.jpg
    Fregatte der Zukunft3.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 174
  • Fregatte der Zukunft2.jpg
    Fregatte der Zukunft2.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 175
  • Fregatte der Zukunft1.jpg
    Fregatte der Zukunft1.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 184
I think that the last image in the first post - bild_10.jpg (and also perhaps bild_06/07 - is actually of a slightly different, older concept for a littoral combat ship. It uses pods for cruise and submerged advanced waterjets just aft of midships for high speeds. If you look closely there are some other differences in the superstructure.

I suspect that the current design is an update of the older one, which was produced to similar requirements as the LCS - i.e. high speed.

Attached is the only documentation I have on it.

RP1

For reference, this was placed on-line at: http://www.marineforum.info/HEFT_5-2004/Kampfschiff/kampfschiff.html, which is now dead.

Attachments

• kampfschiff_abwehr_mf052004.pdf
    470.9 KB · Views: 80
Is there a particular advantage to midship placement of submerged waterjets here, such as cleaner flow for the waterjet intake?

Thanks for this interesting article, RP1 !
I especially like the mentioned idea, that " ... for fending off and combating asymmetric threats,
deception and camouflage is of special importance. So painting the ship tropical white instead
of grey should be considered and it should get a yacht-like silhouette, with retractable weapons
and hidden sensors .."

Back to the Q-ships of WW I ! ;)

@Ouroboros;

Well, there are several issues that may have played a part:

• Ensuring an undisturbed flow
Improving cavitation performance by deeper submergence
Improving survivability by distributing propulsors
Distributing weight (pods and waterjets are both heavy!) and thus avoiding excessive trim / bending moment / strange hull shapes to stop both
Reducing interference with propellers aft
Lack of space in the hull aft

Against this are the problems of docking, drag (but the submerged waterjet has this wherever it is placed), possible debris ingestion and reduced steering effectiveness of the waterjets.

RP1

Jemiba said:
Thanks for this interesting article, RP1 !
I especially like the mentioned idea, that " ... for fending off and combating asymmetric threats,
deception and camouflage is of special importance. So painting the ship tropical white instead
of grey should be considered and it should get a yacht-like silhouette, with retractable weapons
and hidden sensors .."

You know, I was thinking that it looked more like a yacht than a warship.

The designs bears a striking resemblance to these 2007 concepts by RDN Commodore Niels Chr. Borck.

Attachments

• Concept Sketch.png
    Concept Sketch.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 262
  • Plan View.png
    Plan View.png
    778.4 KB · Views: 305
Thanks Thiel

I remember seeing that Danish proposal previously. Was there a thread dealing with it on this forum?

C

I don't think so, but I'm honestly not sure.
The abysmal search function is no help either.

Thiel said:
The designs bears a striking resemblance to these 2007 concepts by RDN Commodore Niels Chr. Borck.

That lower picture, is that suggesting some sort of podded submerged waterjet for aft propulsion?

This is what Lurssen mean by a true "multi-role" vessel! ;D

lurssen2.jpg

lurssen1.jpg

Cat is provided free of charge if you have a scar over your face. :D
But seriously, what is the intended target market for this? Paranoid Russian oligarchs? :eek:

bigvlada said:
But seriously, what is the intended target market for this? Paranoid Russian oligarchs? :eek:
Lurssen made it a few years ago as a PR stunt, to demonstrate their versatility in both the military and commercial markets.

Though the salesman I spoke to about it told me that he'd had one serious expression of interest from the Middle East... ::)

Found this art of a Lürssen stealth corvette. From the context it seems like this or something similar was supposed to be offered for the LCS program, but there are very little details.

Attachments

• LürssenStealthKorvette.jpg
    LürssenStealthKorvette.jpg
    611.2 KB · Views: 101
Found this art of a Lürssen stealth corvette. From the context it seems like this or something similar was supposed to be offered for the LCS program, but there are very little details.

I don't think Lürssen was a bidder for the US LCS program. This ship might have worked for the pre-LCS Focused-Mission High-Speed Ship, but would clearly have been too small for LCS proper (no helo deck). A lot of builders dabbled with LCS-alike ideas, on the assumption that the USN might be on to something (they weren't).

I don't think Lürssen was a bidder for the US LCS program. This ship might have worked for the pre-LCS Focused-Mission High-Speed Ship, but would clearly have been too small for LCS proper (no helo deck). A lot of builders dabbled with LCS-alike ideas, on the assumption that the USN might be on to something (they weren't).
The article (from 2003) explicitly mentions Lürssens intention to bid for LCS. But it certainly possible that Lürssen planned a larger variant of the depicted design (similar to the plans by HDW for the Visby-class). The article isnt very clear on that because it only paraphrases an Interview by Friedrich Lürssen with Naval Forces.

The article (from 2003) explicitly mentions Lürssens intention to bid for LCS. But it certainly possible that Lürssen planned a larger variant of the depicted design (similar to the plans by HDW for the Visby-class). The article isnt very clear on that because it only paraphrases an Interview by Friedrich Lürssen with Naval Forces.

Either they decided to bail when they saw the final LCS spec (FMHSS was quite a bit different) or they couldn't find a US partner. There was a lot of that going around -- I think several other European design shops simply could not find a US prime and/or shipyard to even bid.
There was also an unspoken pressure to see multiple alternative hullforms considered -- hence LM's monohull, the GD trimaran, and the Raytheon SES all in the final round (SES was a clear non-starter, TBH)

The Visby derivative (with Northrop Grumman) was dropped because they could not get to a single hull configuration for all of the desired mission parameters.

That is only slightly less ambitious than one project I worked on, which really did have 'VIP yacht', 'patrol ship', 'amphibious transport', and 'oilfield firefighting' in its statement of requirements.

That is only slightly less ambitious than one project I worked on, which really did have 'VIP yacht', 'patrol ship', 'amphibious transport', and 'oilfield firefighting' in its statement of requirements.
Hopefully not all at the same time...

It's something for a Bond villain.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gn6oo1VgPBI

"Hey Lurssen, about those OPVs you are building for Australia?"

"Could we possibly get a version of this instead?"