Pre-History of Aviation Topics?

papacavy

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
Does anybody, other than myself, have an interest in pre-Wright Brothers aviation history? This may make for an interesting forum. How about airships from 1700-Today?

Chuck ;D

papacavy said:
Does anybody, other than myself, have an interest in pre-Wright Brothers aviation history? This may make for an interesting forum. How about airships from 1700-Today?

Not really my cup of tea, but I'm sure some people do have an interest for these, so it's cool to ask!

A forum, probably not... but a topic, why not? We do have a few things here and there on the forum, but not a dedicated topic. This could be it I guess!

And as usual, if one particular designer or project really gets sufficient exposure / coverage to justify a topic of its own, I guess the mods can always split it from thiis thread...

I'm not an expert on pre-flight era projects but I have some info about it. Why not?

I have a fair amount of original books and periodical runs, from pre-Wright Era, mostly from Austria, Germany, France, and some of the Early U.S. large volumes, as well, Beautiful illustrations (scarce photos) and artwork in some of them, but don't get into them as much as other Eras...Currently trying to find new homes for them, but it is a task made difficult, by the expensive shipping/mailing costs to Europe..One favorite is a long run of L'Aerophile, but Especially the very special set of gilded, hand tooled, special libray bindings for the first three years of 1893-1895. Previous owner was an advanced collector who said the were very painful to part with. Some of the other French volumes are quite elaborate, with many bizarre designs, illustrated. and the usual, pre-Wright Tissandier publications etc. I have a very nice publication written and signed by Clement Ader, that came with a large collection purchase from France, It was marked as one of the collectors most important and valuable items. Today's aviation collectors seem to have "relatively" little appreciation of Ader.
By the way, if you believe that the REAL REASON the Wright Brothers were granted Aero Club of America's Aviator's certificates numbers 4 and 5, (instead of the #1 and 2 they deserved) through an "innocent" process of issuing the first five "in alphabetical order," (as is currently accepted all over the "Internet" and even the EAA websites history!) You would be Wrong!

I would propose to post such themes just in the "Early Projects" sections. An "Even earlier
projetcs " section wouldn't make much sense, I think. Would be just good, to put, say,
posts aboutobservation balloons, that already were used ong before the beginning of the
20th century and actually kind of "series products" into the Aerospace section.
Otherwise it's a great idea, I think !

Back
Top Bottom