Rohrbach Huge Flying Boat Project

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Hi,

here is a drawing a four-engined huge flying boat aircraft,designed by Hans
Rohrbach,all details are in Modern Mechanix magazine,I suspect in that
paint my done by the author,so I put it in this section,until we can see,if
it was a real design or a hypothetical one.

http://blog.modernmechanix.com/my-new-atlantic-air-liner/

Attachments

• Rohrbach 1.jpg
    Rohrbach 1.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 420
  • Rohrbach 2.jpg
    Rohrbach 2.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 393
I think that when the design emanates from an established company or designer it belongs in the regular sections, but I could be wrong of course.

Stargazer said:
I think that when the design emanates from an established company or designer it belongs in the regular sections, but I could be wrong of course.

OK Stargazer,

and I will check from a friend about it.

An interesting find indeed, as the designer himself, Hans Rohrbach, tells us about this concept !
Maybe it would be helpful to have the other pages of the article, too. Principally I would second
Stargazer, but even great designers have their dreams. He says, that he actually had designed
this flying boat, but from the text it may well be, that he just collected changes he thought to be
needed, like internal engines and probably a different hull shape to improve seakeeping.

I have attached two drawings and a photo of a model, presumably the same aircraft mentioned in the article posted above. The confusing thing to me is the name "Hans" Rohrbach. I thought his first name was Adolf.

You're absolutely right, of course, thanks for that clue !
Had a quick look for Hans Rohrbach and indeed, there seem to have been "another" Rohrbach.
If you look at the "BIBLI0GRAPHY OF AERONAUTICS" ( https://info.aiaa.org/tac/ETMG/HISTC/Gardner/Shared%20Documents/U.S.%20WPA%20Bibliography%20of%20Aeronautics%20-%20Part%205%20Seaplane_%20Part%206%20Flying%20Boats_%20Part%207%20Amphibians%201938.pdf )
you'll find both, though Hans is only mentioned with this design from an article in "Popular Aviation". Another mention of
him can be found here https://archive.org/stream/dermotorwagen2519auto/dermotorwagen2519auto_djvu.txt.
It's about an invention in the field automotive engineering and yes, Adolf Rohrbach was somewhat busy in that field, too.
So, just a confusion of the forenames could be the reason, but as thankfully the article showed us the portrait of Hans Rohrbach,
we can compare it to that of Adolf Rohrbach and I think, they are different persons.
Of course, to the publishers of "Modern Mechanix", this seems not to have been clear, because the "well-known designer"
without doubt was Adolf Rohrbach, not Hans !

Attachments

• Adolf_Rohrbach.JPG
    Adolf_Rohrbach.JPG
    23.9 KB · Views: 35
  • Hans_Rohrbach.png
    Hans_Rohrbach.png
    50.5 KB · Views: 220
dave_t said:
I have attached two drawings and a photo of a model, presumably the same aircraft mentioned in the article posted above. The confusing thing to me is the name "Hans" Rohrbach. I thought his first name was Adolf.

Great find Dave,and welcome aboard,

For my dear Jemiba,this designer with his concept seemed to be a true airplane Project,maybe
we can transfer it to Early Aircraft Section.

hesham said:
...this designer with his concept seemed to be a true airplane Project...

There definitely were both, Adolf Rohrbach, who was responsible for those aircraft well known by the
name "Rohrbach", and Hans Rohrbach, obviously working in a technical field, too, but from what is
known just with the short (and only?) spell into aviation. Without the obviously erroneous mixing of
those two persons by that magazine, that idea probably would never have come to light. Can't see
still yet, that it was more, than just an idea, so this theme is well placed here, I think.

OK my dear Jemiba,

and we can consider it a mistake and this design related to Adolf Rohrbach.

From Flying Boat Handout.

Attachments

• 10.png
    10.png
    904.6 KB · Views: 18
Back
Top Bottom