Martin A-15, the B-10 ground attack concept

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Hi,

http://books.google.com.eg/books?id=GmFhOCYckfQC&pg=PA418&dq=MARTIN+xa-15&lr=&num=100&as_brr=3&as_pt=BOOKS&cd=1#v=onepage&q=MARTIN%20xa-15&f=true

Attachments

• A-15.JPG
    A-15.JPG
    13.7 KB · Views: 260
I'm trying to find some concrete information/drawings on the above project, but thus far to no avail.
This was a suggested version of the B-10 as a ground attack aircraft, and I'd like to find out just how far it got, ie conceptual drawings, etc. The Martin Museum has nothing, and thus far I've not found anything at NARA II although there is obviously much to look through.
Can anyone help?
Thanks in advance.
AlanG

[size=14pt]From J.F. Baugher website
Martin XA-15

Last revised July 1, 2000

In May of 1934, an attack version of the Martin YB-10 twin-engined bomber was proposed under the designation XA-15. It was to have had two 750 hp Wright R-1820-25 engines. Wingspan was to have been 70 feet 6 inches, and length was to have been 44 feet 8 inches. Gross weight was to have been 12,356 pounds, and maximum speed was estimated to be 214 mph at 4500 feet.

The design was dropped in favor of the faster Curtiss XA-14 before anything could be built.

Sources:

1. American Combat Planes, Third Enlarged Edition, Ray Wagner, Doubleday, 1982.

2. US Army Aircraft, 1908-1946, James C. Fahey, Ships and Aircraft, 1946.
[/size]

Here is the only picture I have ever found of the XA-15. No idea where I found it - must have been a very long time ago.

Attachments

• A-15.JPG
    A-15.JPG
    20.8 KB · Views: 553
That's a Lloyd S. Jones line drawing most likely from his U.S. Bombers book. -SP

Yes, I agree it is a Lloyd Jones drawing and is exactly the same as in his US Bomber's book (just checked), except that in that book the drawing is not labelled as XA-15. So, it is possible that somebody tinkered with that drawing and that, in turn, may indicate that the drawing may not be accurate.
Again, a lot of 'possible' and 'may'.....

Indeed , I was puzzled by this drawing since a long time and after I made
many comparissions with other Martin B-10/12/14 drawings and illustrations I think
this is not a ground attack aircraft...

Perhaps we should contemplate, that the attack version may just have differed from the bomber by
addition of more fixed weapons, some armour and maybe different bomb shackles for carrying a
greater number of smaller bombs ? Such modifications wouldn't be recognisable in the 3-view, I think.
On most 3-views it probably is difficult to tell a P-51A/B from an A-36, just to name another example.

If we could find more about the planned armament for
this aircraft we should have a better idea about the 'looks' of it...

The 3 view that Jos found comes from : American Attack Aircraft since 1926
by E.R.Johnson Mc Farland & Co. (p.418-419)

No further info but this:

1 ton lighter than the bomber
estimated speed 215 mph.
Martin 1934-35 project dropped in favour of the Curtiss XA-14

Considering the planned fighter version was still pretty similar to the basic B-10, one can imagine the A-15 must have been even closer to it in layout.

Back
Top Bottom