Ryan Disc Rotor System

vstol

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
Website
www.vtol.org
Does anyone know anything about the attached graphic? I got it from boxkite manyyears ago, who said he found it in a Czech book from 1979.

It is a Ryan COIN design with a rotor that retracts into a central disk for high speed forward flight.

Thanks!
vstol.

Attachments

• RyanCOIN.jpg
    RyanCOIN.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 1,075
"Does anyone know anything about the attached graphic? "

Hello Mike, I knew, I'd seen it before, but where ?
I've found it today, but it don't give more informations, the drawing is
basically the same, but it seems, this concept is older, than anticipated.
It was shown in Interavia 10/1967 !

Attachments

• Ryan_COIN-VTOL.JPG
    Ryan_COIN-VTOL.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 3,067
Source: Ryan Reporter Vol27 Issue 1 (Jan/Feb 1965)

The second high speed rotary concept is known as the Disc Rotor system. Disc Rotor system illustrated in artist's concept combines capabilities of helicopter with fixed-wing aircraft. This system utilizes a more conventional articulated three blade rotor arrangement but is equipped with a thin discus-shaped centerbody into which the blades are retracted during highspeed modes.

The thin centerbody housing the rotor blades shields them from the ambient airstream during rotor stoppage. The mechanics of retraction and extension cycles, as proposed in this concept, are accomplished by pivotal motion, thereby minimizing lost motion and increasing accuracy of rotor system C.G. control in a simple and straightforward manner.

In common with most stopped-rotor systems, the Disc Rotor concept utilizes an auxiliary wing for off-loading the rotor. Wing lift is augmented by the lift provided by the centerbody, particularly during stopped-rotor, maneuvering flight.

Aerodynamic drag penalties due to the discus centerbody are small as centerbody thickness ratios of less than 9 per cent and disc size of only 15 per cent of the basic rotor reference area are readily attainable in this system. Other significant advantages offered by the Disc Rotor system are its simplicity, the straightforward functions involved in rotor-stoppage in flight, the compatibility with conventional airframes and its low structural weight penalty.

One of the most apparent advances is the bypass of dynamic problems encountered in stopping long, flexible rotor blades while in flight.

Attachments

• DiscRotor.jpg
    DiscRotor.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 474
Thanks Jens - I knew we had some pics somewhere but didn't have time to look.

Hi,

https://www.flickr.com/photos/sdasmarchives/

Attachments

• 6.png
    6.png
    502.3 KB · Views: 189
Back
Top Bottom