Pratt & Whitney XT34 question

Convair

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
Hi, I am a plastic modeler and I would like to build a scale model of a Boeing JB-17 with the Pratt & Whitney XT34 engine. I have seen photos of the JB-17 with XT34, and I am curious about a "ring" behind the propeller, visible through the engine cowling (see attached photo from this same forum, from NARA). The arrow in the edited photo indicates this "ring". Also, if anyone has pictures showing details of the front of the XT34 engine (as used in the JB-17), and details of the propeller hub, I'll be very grateful.

Attachments

• JB17edited.jpg
    JB17edited.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 257
  • JB-17+Pic+8.jpg
    JB-17+Pic+8.jpg
    370.6 KB · Views: 251
Could it be an air intake?

Attachments

• PandW t34 sideview dwg.jpg
    PandW t34 sideview dwg.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 185
Thank you LowObservable. This well-known photo shows JB-17G s/n 44-85813 (N6694C) with the Wright XT-35 engine (this same aircraft was used to test the Wright R-3350 too). The JB-17 model that I want to build is the 44-85734 (N5111N), which used only the P&W XT-34.

Today, broadening my search on the Internet, inadvertently I found this photo of a P&W T-34 engine (with 7500 hp) being sold on e-bay (US$8,000.00). According to the photo, the "ring" - subject of my question - is actually the edge of a tube-shaped frame placed in front of the engine. I do not know if the XT-34 engine (which had only 5500 hp) used with the JB-17 had exactly the same type of assembly, i.e., that tube-shaped frame.

Tartle, an air intake is a good bet, maybe with air diffusion or air directing properties.

Attachments

• T34_1.JPG
    T34_1.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 168
That's right; I'll rephrase it.... it is the intake, similar in style to the RR Tyne... the photograph makes it very clear... also see below. see also this cutaway.
Also P&W info sheet

Attachments

• PandW t34 cutaway dwg.jpg
    PandW t34 cutaway dwg.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 65
By the way modelling sites seem to have quite a bit about modelling this engine's nacelle... not necessarily on the Boeing nose but essential front end features do not change as they are linked to engine optimisation.