Register here

Author Topic: South African Radar & EW Projects  (Read 12823 times)

Offline PaulMM (Overscan)

• Secret Projects Forum Founder
  • Administrator
  • CLEARANCE: Top Secret
  • Paul Martell-Mead
    • Secret Projects
Re: South African Radar & EW Projects
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2014, 12:32:59 am »
Not true, it is appropriate for this section.
"They can't see our arses for dust."

- Sir Sydney Camm

Offline Graugrun

• CLEARANCE: Secret
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2014, 10:43:52 am »
Thanks for that clarification - and in that case, herewith RTS 6400 brochure...

Offline kaiserbill

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2014, 12:07:39 pm »
The ZA-35 Spaag based on the Rooikat has a system of optronics/laser rangefinder developed by Eloptro, but what radar is used on that vehicle?

Offline kaiserbill

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2014, 11:55:46 am »
I thought these fascinating writeups might provide some interesting backround info on South African radar, including the very first indigineous radar tested all the way back in December 1939 as the war clouds were swirling...
These were productionised as the JB radar.

http://samilitaryhistory.org/vol112ml.html
http://samilitaryhistory.org/vol033fh.html

Offline Graugrun

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2014, 01:08:10 am »
Just something new - apparently it has attracted a fair amount of interest as a easy and very cost effective way of completing various missile/EW/radar testing. The same engineer who headed this is also heading the Impundulu anti radiation missile posted in the S.A. missile thread - http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,21179.0.html

Funny, it seems it's initial testing was done on an old Hawker Hunter (painted as a Swiss machine).

He also seems to have a perchant for unusual Zulu/Xhosa project names...

Offline Graugrun

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2014, 08:50:04 am »
Much more interesting is this RSA 250 L-Star 2D staring array radar, one of it's developments includes using it as part of a cheap but effective C-RAM (Counter Rocket, Artillery and Mortar) system. Using a Reutech Rogue 20mm stabilised gun platform - see brochure and pics below - link: http://www.defenceweb.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=36185&Itemid=105&catid=50

Offline Graugrun

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2014, 05:09:52 am »
I'm not sure if this is meant to replace the RTS 6400/ETS 2400, is a new model in the range, or an evolution of one of them, as I did not get the chance to speak to anyone on the Reutech stand.

Anyway, herewith the brochure on the RTS 3200.

Offline Graugrun

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2014, 08:41:43 am »
Another interesting development.

Offline Graugrun

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2014, 11:48:24 am »
- And another one...

Offline Graugrun

« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2014, 12:04:06 pm »
I thought we had already bought 14 sets of the Thales Squire tactical radar sets (man portable), I don't know if this was Reutech's offering or if this is a new development of theirs - if so it is clearly for the overseas market.

Offline Graugrun

« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2014, 10:29:58 pm »
Some poor quality but rather rare pics of one of our developmental SAR (Synthetic Aperture Radar) radars being tested in a TurboDak. Date and more info I don't have, except that I am reasonably sure that this was in the late 90's.

Anyone able to add some more info?

Offline kaiserbill

« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2014, 09:50:36 am »
Fascinating, Graugrun. I'd not heard of this before.

What are those two tubes in the middle picture? They look like sonobuoy launchers...

Offline Graugrun

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2014, 06:26:36 am »
The ZA-35 Spaag based on the Rooikat has a system of optronics/laser rangefinder developed by Eloptro, but what radar is used on that vehicle?

It was the L-band EDR 110 - in fact this formed the basis for most of the other and larger radar development that ESD-South developed (Later becoming Reutech Radar Systems) - obviously communality  played a big role as well -  but some of the reasons are evident in the explanation of the L-band choice  for EDR 110 in the article below, as the same reasons for using the EDR 110 as the base to work on.

The article also covers the EOT tracker, Radar/Optronic tracker and the commander's site - although not all applicable to this this, they are included for completeness (I think this article will answer a lot of ZA-35 SPAAG questions for you ;) ).

No brochure on the EDR 110 that I know of, I think it was never meant to be sold separate the the ZA-35 SPAAG anyway. What has been stated is that the EDR 120/140 mobile radar is in fact the towed derivative of the EDR 110, just with slightly increased range (17km's instead of 12km's). I suspect that the picture in the brochure below actually shows the 140 version, but that's just my guess.

Article courtesy of Military Technology 12-1991 - and written by H.R. Heitmann. 

Offline Graugrun

« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2014, 07:59:03 am »
The prototype Reutech Radar Systems RSR 320 - Battlefield Air Defence system. It is a further development of the ESR 220L, which I think is in SANDF service. It's a dual X and L band radar, optimised for missile guidence and was in fact used as the mid-course guidance radar during the 2013 land based Umkhonto live missile firing exercise (2 X shots at 15 km range, one fired to 20 km's). Apparently observers from 9 other countries attended the demo (Finland and Algeria would properly have been two of them - I wonder who the others were?).

The RSR 320 is intended to be the associated radar system for the land based Umkhonto, part of the GBADS project (phase 3 I think). They have been developing this refined system for a few years now - and hoping for an order.

I will scan and post the ESR 22L's brochure just for reference to the differences between it and the RSR 320.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 11:18:08 pm by Graugrun »

Offline Graugrun

« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2014, 10:23:29 am »
Another Radar that was never fully developed - the ESR-380 3D long range radar. This poor photocopy is all I have - I remember seeing a model of it on the Reutech Radar system stand, pity I never too a photograph of it. I guess this also just fell victim to the massive defence cuts at the time. Article courtesy of Jane's IDR January 1993 (DEXSA show report).