AT Black Knight Transformer

When I see something like that I just wonder how people get funding for such a BS!

Anything dealing with unmanned platforms is "magic elixir" to the US government. One can only hope that some of the magic will fade and rationality will prevail.

OK, I am going to cast the dissenting vote. I am not so sure that something like this wouldn't actually be very useful and cost-effective as long as high speed in the air or on the ground is not the goal. A few thoughts....
  • The mechanical simplicity is appealing--the entire flight control system could be just eight digitally-controlled throttles.
  • With an all-electric propulsion system, or perhaps a hybrid electric system using on onboard generator and limited battery capacity for additional power during takeoff and landing and brief electric-only operation on the ground, it could be quite stealthy.
  • A redundant fly-by-wire system with monitoring of the actual thrust produced by each power unit could automatically compensate for a reduction in thrust from one or more engines due to battle damage or mechanical failure.
  • Dividing the engines into separate, self-contained systems with their own fuel tanks (or batteries) makes catastrophic failure of a majority of the power units unlikely.
  • The design lends itself well to a modular, plug-and-play system of field maintenance where large subassemblies, even entire power units, are simply unbolted and replaced.
  • With some narrow-chord shrouds on the props, or perhaps deployable rails or a telescoping mast to keep the lines clear of the props, you might be able to use a ballistic parachute system in lieu of autorotation ability.
  • The narrow 19' span in flight configuration allows operation from very small spaces, little more than a small parking lot or intersection. For comparison, the very light Robinson R44 four-seat piston helicopoter has a rotor diameter of 33'.
Feedback welcome, I've got my fireproof undies on. ;-)

Cheers,

Matthew

As an excercise in engineering [and ONLY that], such things are interesting. I say this because like others, I doubt the military utility of the system.

Sadly, as multi rotors get larger (and crucially, heavier), varying rotor speed to change thrust levels becomes a less viable option. You lose both the accuracy and speed of response that's required for stable, controlled flight. To that end, each of those 'lift units' will need to be variable pitch with the obvious mass and complexity penalties.

Long live the jumping jeep! ;)

Just a couple of comments:

-Not much inertia stored in those short blades...I'm not sure you could autorotate.
-Is forward propulsion assured by tilting the vehicle nose down? That'd be simple but not very efficient.

Other than that, i agree, it's a fun engineering project and yes, i could envision this as a jumping jeep, not really a flying vehicle :) .

Well basically it's meant as a remote operated self-propelled CASVAC stretcher, that can move both by ground and by air.

VTOLicious said:
When I see something like that I just wonder how people get funding for such a BS!
ditto..what he said.

https://www.advancedtacticsinc.com/black-knight-transformer-first-flights/

Attachments

• fig3-sm.jpg
    fig3-sm.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 338
  • fig4-sm.jpg
    fig4-sm.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 322
  • fig5-sm.jpg
    fig5-sm.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 304
Looks more like the side-project of some students than a legit military type to me!

What struck me immediately was that the very same machine could have been built 50 years ago with almost the same results and performance. No big deal here! This thing looks like a joke...

Stargazer said:
Looks more like the side-project of some students than a legit military type to me!

What struck me immediately was that the very same machine could have been built 50 years ago with almost the same results and performance. No big deal here! This thing looks like a joke...

Agreed

Well it is unmanned... Stability in transition and all that (note outriggers in photo). Now all they have to do is make it crash worthy.

When I first saw this (before I read any description) I thought they where trying to fly shipping containers.

Creative said:
When I first saw this (before I read any description) I thought they where trying to fly shipping containers.

;D

Not a bad idea though - have something that could attach to a standard ISO Shipping container - instant, though in no way attractive, logistics.