Convair NX-2 Camal

archipeppe

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
One of the most interesting subjects ever, the Convair NX-2 "Camal" was introduced in late '50s like a "atomic bomber", otherwise like atomic powered bomber as answer to hypotetical Soviet nuclear bomber (never materialized anyway).

The project had several twists during its history ranging from pure nuclear powered (through 4 GE XNJ-140) to mixed propulsion.
At first glance the aircraft appears more like a research and testbed vehicle rather than the prototype or even a demonstrator of future bomber. Its denomination "NX-2" is clearly off from the official USAF bomber number and tells more about experimentation (Nuclear eXperimental 2??, if so it should be intended like a successor of the X-6 or NX-1.....).

No bombs or payload bays showed by the drawings available and the four airmen crew hosted in a heavily shielded cockpit (like the NB-36H). Curiosily its configuration (canard + swept wing with huge winglets) seems to last a legacy into the various Burt Rutan light aircraft project of a decade later (Very Eze and other types).

Attachments

• Convair NX-2_01.jpg
    Convair NX-2_01.jpg
    471.5 KB · Views: 779
  • Convair NX-2_02.jpg
    Convair NX-2_02.jpg
    399.3 KB · Views: 686
  • Convair NX-2_03.jpg
    Convair NX-2_03.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 631
I love these drawings of the Convair NX-2, Archipeppe. A fabulous aircraft, beautifully rendered. Big thanks.

foiling said:
I love these drawings of the Convair NX-2, Archipeppe. A fabulous aircraft, beautifully rendered. Big thanks.

Thanks Foiling I can always count on your appreciation. :)

One of my favorite unbuilts, beautifully rendered as usual. Congrats!

again cool art work, archipeppe

question on Convair NX-2 Camal
had it used Boron fuel for chemical take off and landing ?
(also had Boron fuel serve as radiation shield between crew and reactor.)

Many thank dear Sirs!!

Regarding Boron question, I don't know it.
The only one could answer to such question would be Scott Lowther (our Orionblamblam).

That is very nice, I had not ever seen something like that