Register here

Author Topic: Japanese W II RC Models  (Read 32046 times)

Offline blackkite

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Japanese W II RC Models
« on: April 25, 2012, 05:51:49 pm »

Hi! Enjoy.

Offline blackkite

Re: Japanese W II RC Models
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 06:09:54 pm »
Next Ki-94-Ⅰ RC model flight movie.

Offline Hikoki1946

• CLEARANCE: Secret
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 03:40:11 am »
If my Japanese is correct, when the Ki-94-I was rejected, Tachikawa "repackaged" the design by beefing up the weapon fit and changing the role from high altitude fighter to a medium altitude heavy fighter with the designation Ki-104.

Offline blackkite

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 10:31:42 pm »
Hi!

Offline blackkite

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 11:54:08 pm »
Next video.

Offline Skyblazer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 04:51:26 am »
Splendid!!  :D

Offline Jemiba

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 08:14:15 am »
Great model ! And it shows (at around 3:19), that tail clearance of this type is quite low and
a bumper a necessity !
It takes a long time, before all mistakes are made ...

Offline blackkite

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 02:55:36 pm »
According to this factory drawing, angle of attack was limited 9° to 10°30 when take off and landing. You can see pressurized cabin area in this drawing,too.
Great RC model indeed! ;) She has 7 cylinders air cooling radial engines!!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 09:39:38 pm by blackkite »

Offline hesham

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 03:12:01 pm »
Excellent my dear Blackkite.

Offline hartmutbehrendt

• CLEARANCE: Restricted
  • Nothing is onefold if you double it!!
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2013, 07:25:06 am »
 :) Hello, the following for some interessest:
Josef has built this plane by using plywood, spruce stringer, balsawood, glass- and carbon fibre, and a lot of styropor. He has prepared a huge number of moulds to fabricate all the cfc parts.
The front engine is a Seidel ST 710, the rear one a Seidel ST 7-70.
Menz propeller at front 22/12, rear Menz 22/12 L, static RPM on ground 5200 RPM.
Wingspan 300 cm, Length 265 cm, dry weight 23.5 kg, No lead required for balancing.
Functions: elevator, rudder, aileron, jointly and separately controlled engines, 4 split flaps as landing aid, proportional pneumatic brakes, retractable landing gear specially made at Wabo, 8 cooling flaps for front engine (servo operated), electrically operated canopy,  2 indipendend glowplug electronic systems, for each engine one, made at Microsens, 17 servos, Futaba S-Bus servo wiring.
Plans increased three-side-view from internet. His drawn out detailed designs on this plans are not clearly visible and understandable, and so not suitable for publication.
Josef will never sell this model.
Regards, Hartmut
Hartmut

Offline Jemiba

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2013, 09:06:49 am »
Welcome here Hartmut and thanks for those explanations. Yes, Josefs model is more,
than just an oob "Schaumwaffel" (foam wafer, fully depron models and the like) and it's
good staged by you, too. Always "Hals- und Beinbruch" for him as his model (Or are there
other greetings in the model scene ?) !
 ;)

Offline thonthon42

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2013, 11:42:25 am »
Josef has built this plane by using plywood, spruce stringer, balsawood, glass- and carbon fibre, and a lot of styropor. He has prepared a huge number of moulds to fabricate all the cfc parts.
Menz propeller at front 22/12, rear Menz 22/12 L, static RPM on ground 5200 RPM.
Wingspan 300 cm, Length 265 cm, dry weight 23.5 kg, No lead required for balancing.
Functions: elevator, rudder, aileron, jointly and separately controlled engines, 4 split flaps as landing aid, proportional pneumatic brakes, retractable landing gear specially made at Wabo, 8 cooling flaps for front engine (servo operated), electrically operated canopy,  2 indipendend glowplug electronic systems, for each engine one, made at Microsens, 17 servos, Futaba S-Bus servo wiring.
Plans increased three-side-view from internet. His drawn out detailed designs on this plans are not clearly visible and understandable, and so not suitable for publication.
Regards, Hartmut

Fantastic ! What else ?..

Tonton
L'aviation ? Pfff, c'est bon pour les sportifs ! Pour l'Armée c'est zéro !

Offline blackkite

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2013, 03:24:23 pm »
Regards, Hartmut
Thanks for detail information. Really outstanding exact shape RC model.
Please ask Josef to build other Japanese beauties. For example, Ki-94-Ⅱ, Senden, Ki-98, etc. :D
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 03:27:35 pm by blackkite »

Offline hartmutbehrendt

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2013, 08:54:05 am »
 :)Hello, there is one other japanese model of Josef 'in the tube', indeed: A huge 'SHINDEN. Engine runups and taxi trials are already done. Here at first some pictures. I will ask Josef if he allowes me to upload the video from the trials. If yes, you will find the video in 'YouTube' aswell. Regards, Hartmut
Hartmut

Offline hartmutbehrendt

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2013, 09:06:25 am »
Welcome here Hartmut and thanks for those explanations. Yes, Josefs model is more,
than just an oob "Schaumwaffel" (foam wafer, fully depron models and the like) and it's
good staged by you, too. Always "Hals- und Beinbruch" for him as his model (Or are there
other greetings in the model scene ?) !
 ;)

In the flying world we say 'Holm- und Rippenbruch', which means 'spar and rib fracture', Hartmut
Hartmut

Offline Jemiba

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2013, 09:34:34 am »
A
In the flying world we say 'Holm- und Rippenbruch', ...

Ah, ok ! It will be the model that is hurt, not the pilot in most cases ! ;)

Offline blackkite

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2013, 06:05:46 pm »
Oh Josef did it!!!!!! :o Be careful in take off.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 06:20:19 pm by blackkite »

Offline hartmutbehrendt

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2013, 10:38:08 am »
 :'(Hi Blackkite, Josef and me we know this video already, thank you. We are thinking about the circumstances for the crash. This video is the reason that Josef has delayed the first flight of his Shinden. He plans to built a smaller Shinden first to try the behavior. I myself I think that the area before the CG, seen from the side view, is greater than the area behind, the crash shows typical indizes for this matter, Hartmut
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 04:04:12 pm by hartmutbehrendt »
Hartmut

Offline Jemiba

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2013, 10:52:56 am »
..the area before the CG, seen from the side view, is greater than the area behind, ..

Wouldn't this just result in a dive ? But the model obvious flipped inverted.

Offline blackkite

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2013, 03:39:35 pm »
:'(Hi Blackkite, Josef and me we know this video already, thank you. We are thinking about the circumstances for the crash. This video is the reason that josef has delayed the first flight of his Shinden. He plans to built a smaller Shinden first to try the behavior. I myself I think that the area before the CG, seen from the side view, is greater than the area behind, the crash showes typical indizes for this matter, Hartmut
Oh clever approach! Good luck to you. :D
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 03:41:28 pm by blackkite »

Offline hartmutbehrendt

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2013, 03:58:17 pm »
Hello Jemiba,
I don't mean nose heavy around the transverse axis: If the Square meter before the CG is higher than after the CG, seen from the side of the model, the vertical stabilization around the vertical axis failes. The plane looses the direction, and while the airstream comes more and more from the side, the wing will swing up or down immediately and turns the whole plane to be inverted. I know this already because I had a model with this situation. The model did roll so quickly I could'nt even react at all.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 04:06:11 pm by hartmutbehrendt »
Hartmut

Offline blackkite

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2013, 09:16:00 pm »
I imagine that,
Excessive pull up after take off ⇒Front wing stall because of high angle of attack ⇒ Lost front wing lift ⇒ Nose down ⇒ Dive ⇒ Crush
Should the model airplane be raised little by little?

« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 02:37:39 am by blackkite »

Offline Jemiba

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2013, 12:54:46 am »
...If the Square meter before the CG is higher than after the CG, seen from the side of the model, the vertical stabilization around the vertical axis failes.

Ok, think I got it now. Even slight disturbances are enough then for losing conrol. Somewhat glad, that I'm flying
"Schaumwaffeln" at best. Couldn't stand losing such a model !  :-\

Offline blackkite

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2013, 03:46:41 am »
Hi! Finally right roll by propeller torque.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 09:44:43 pm by blackkite »

Offline blackkite

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2013, 03:38:53 pm »
 The scene of touchdown of a model airplane was cut by edit in this video.
When watch the model airplane after landing, we realize that the door of a front wheel and a front wheel were damaged.
I imagine that the model airplane carried out hard landing by rapid nose down.
If this model airplane's angle of attack becomes large at a low speed, front wing stall and generate rapid head lowering occur this airplane? Didn't the IJN(Kugisho) know this tendency through the flight of MXY-6?

« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 03:45:34 pm by blackkite »

Offline blackkite

Offline blackkite

« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2013, 04:54:52 am »
Shinden front wing had retractable leading edge slat and double flap/elevator.
Shinden's main wing was made by thick plate with welded stiffner (without small rib).
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 05:04:31 am by blackkite »

Offline Jemiba

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2013, 09:00:07 am »

If this model airplane's angle of attack becomes large at a low speed, front wing stall and generate rapid head lowering occur this airplane?

That's what principally makes a canard layout unstallable. At least the worst consequence, that can hapen to a conventional
aircraft, just plunging down tail first, cannot happen, as it would drop the nose and gather speed again. Of course that doesn't
mean totally vice free flying characteristics.   :-\

Offline Bill Walker

• Per Ardua ad Nauseum
    • Canadian Military aircraft Serial Numbers
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2013, 11:49:25 am »
This depends on your definition of "stall".  The main wing of a canard design is hard (but not impossible) to stall.  The aircraft may have rotational momentum in the pitch axis at the time the foreplane stalls, allowing it to continue briefly pitching nose up, enough to stall the main wing.

Stalling the foreplane can result in a loss of pitch control that can only be overcome by changing the pitch.  This is a bad situation to be in.  You hope that the stall of the foreplane is accompanied by a nose drop, but it may not always be so, or it may not always be fast enough, or it may be too fast.  Also note that if the nose pitches down to unstall the foreplane you are also reducing the lift coefficient of the main wing, at a time when you may not want to do this.  Consider a foreplane stall on short final.  An uncontrolled nose drop plus a loss of lift is probably not a good thing at that point. 

I suspect this is part of the reason for the slats and double flaps on the Shinden canard.  Stalling the foreplane before the mainplane is not desirable.
Bill Walker

Offline blackkite

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2013, 04:10:28 pm »
This depends on your definition of "stall".  The main wing of a canard design is hard (but not impossible) to stall.  The aircraft may have rotational momentum in the pitch axis at the time the foreplane stalls, allowing it to continue briefly pitching nose up, enough to stall the main wing.

Stalling the foreplane can result in a loss of pitch control that can only be overcome by changing the pitch.  This is a bad situation to be in.  You hope that the stall of the foreplane is accompanied by a nose drop, but it may not always be so, or it may not always be fast enough, or it may be too fast.  Also note that if the nose pitches down to unstall the foreplane you are also reducing the lift coefficient of the main wing, at a time when you may not want to do this.  Consider a foreplane stall on short final.  An uncontrolled nose drop plus a loss of lift is probably not a good thing at that point. 

I suspect this is part of the reason for the slats and double flaps on the Shinden canard.  Stalling the foreplane before the mainplane is not desirable.
Thanks a lot. Your explanation is little hard for me. I need more study about canard aircraft flight chracteristic.
Please show me your opinion about the reason why one Shinden RC model failed to take off and Japanese Shinden RC model failed soft landing. 
The reason for take off failure was the posion of C.G.?
http://adamone.rchomepage.com/cg_canard.htm

« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 04:21:44 pm by blackkite »

Offline Bill Walker

• Per Ardua ad Nauseum
    • Canadian Military aircraft Serial Numbers
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2013, 06:52:23 pm »
Blackkite, there are many reasons why an airplane will not takeoff or why an airplane will have a hard landing.  It may not be anything to do with canards, "normal" airplanes sometimes have these problems too.  Different c.g positions may need different pitching power to take off or land softly, so it may be a bad combination of pitching power (ability to raise or lower the nose) and c.g.

The c.g. calculator you show is a little simplified, but a good start.  It seems to assume that both wings have the same CL curve, and the same zero CL angle of attack.  The Shinden, with the slat and double flaps on the canard, can have very different aerodynamic characteristics on the front and rear wings.  The calculations become a bit more complicated then.
Bill Walker

Offline blackkite

« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2013, 12:22:15 am »
Many thanks again! :D

Offline perttime

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
  • I really did change my personal text
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2013, 01:01:50 pm »
From what I've read on R/C forums, canard models can be very sensitive to CG location. They can fly very well but you have to get the setup right.

Offline blackkite

« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2013, 03:15:08 pm »
From what I've read on R/C forums, canard models can be very sensitive to CG location. They can fly very well but you have to get the setup right.
Thanks! Japanese Shinden simplified RC model operator said so.
墜落 means crush. The operator said in this video that when C.G. shifted forward direction, crush. 
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 09:07:29 pm by blackkite »

Offline blackkite

« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2013, 03:52:26 am »
Hi!

Offline Jemiba

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2013, 08:22:33 am »
"Fugaku still attacking !"   ;D

Offline blackkite

« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2013, 05:41:58 pm »

Offline Jemiba

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2013, 09:38:32 am »
>:(

Sorry for that, was just a joke ! On the positive side, all models participating in that accident
were still with their owners, so they could be repaired. On an RC airshow with foatplanes, I once
witnessed a crash into the water and that model had gone forever, as even a diver couldn't find
the remains of it !

Offline ArgyrisGiannetakis

• http://www.youtube.com/user/ARGYPILATUS
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2013, 12:55:52 am »
I'm so glad to be here and see this Huge SHINDEN BUILD!!Congratulation to Mr Josef!!This shinden is impressive!!!Woww!!
I am so happy to be here and can answer about my SHINDEN NO1 and my new Shinden j7w1 THE RETURN.
I will send you some photos with the reason of crush and then my new all glass build about Shinden!
The reason of crush was the deferential of two canard elavators when i put all the move in take of.But also the little heavier front CG!
In canard the more front CG is like a more rear CG in conventional aircraft.
In my new Shinden i build more simple the canard.
Also i will build it all glass from molds ,so i have the chance to make all the test without stress!! ;D ;D
I'm sure that Mr Josefs Shinden will be fly great because he is GREAT BUILDER!!!Tachikawa KI 94 IS IS AWESOME!!

« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 04:09:43 am by ArgyrisGiannetakis »

« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2013, 01:42:11 am »
Here is the one reason!!I also discovered when i zoom the photo!

« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2013, 01:50:44 am »
 :)

« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2013, 01:52:07 am »

« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2013, 02:05:55 am »
My new Shinden j7w1 build the return!
First of all My Youtube Channel with thousand scale RC video!!!
http://www.youtube.com/user/ARGYPILATUS?feature=guide

« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2013, 02:13:50 am »

« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2013, 02:17:22 am »

« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2013, 04:46:14 am »
 :)some photos

« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2013, 04:49:35 am »

« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2013, 04:52:35 am »

« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2013, 02:09:16 am »

Offline hartmutbehrendt

« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2013, 08:29:51 am »

:)Hi AGYRIS, so you have found the way to this thread. Very nice, professionel looking Shinden RETURN. I wonder how it will fly this time, good luck.
Regards, Hartmut
Hartmut

« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2013, 09:22:46 am »
Yes Dear Hartmut thank you!!Send greetings to Josef and tell him that he is a GREAT MODELLER!!Also pleeeeease send some more photos or test videos and some specifications and dimensions and engine about shinden.It will be help a lot of us!!!Ki 94 is AWESOME!!!!SHINDEN IS MAGNIFICENT LIGHTING ;) ;) :D :D!!!!
Did he have find the exact CG point?How much percent rear from leading edge he is?Mine it was 14%behind front leading edge and it was i THING little front heavier!Maybe on my new Shinden keep it at the same.I had oversize 15% the front canard so this change some things!
Also advise him to do something with the torque!It's critical!I had 1* down thrust and i thing that maybe need 1*upthrust.For sure it needs left thrust!! as we seen from behind the model.If you see the maiden you will see the runway take of  tended to up the left wing tip!!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 01:25:24 pm by ArgyrisGiannetakis »

Offline blackkite

« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2013, 07:17:20 pm »
Unbelievable, incredible and excellent model.!! :o
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 07:19:13 pm by blackkite »

« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2013, 12:21:07 am »
Thank you very much Blackkite!!!For sure Shinden model is a very difficult challenge aircraft to fly,and i have a lot of work for success set up.For this reason i made all the molds, so i have the chance to rebuid any damage!!The gift i gave to this frame was the aluminum sheeting because scale is everthing in this hobby!!! ;D ;D ;D

Offline blackkite

« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2013, 02:38:45 am »
Thank you very much Blackkite!!!For sure Shinden model is a very difficult challenge aircraft to fly,and i have a lot of work for success set up.For this reason i made all the molds, so i have the chance to rebuid any damage!!The gift i gave to this frame was the aluminum sheeting because scale is everthing in this hobby!!! ;D ;D ;D
Wow robust strategy!! ;)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 02:41:12 am by blackkite »

« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2013, 01:09:32 pm »
ABOUT CG!!!This was a big secret back in 2005 when i build my Shinden!I search everything just to find the right point.I talk with my self and wondering , how Mr Tsuruno balance the real shinden? how they were totaly sure ?how they....
So i start to search the Hanging point ....Where is where is..... :o :o :o ;)
ΗΗΜΜΜΜΜΜ what is this? ;) ;) ;) ;)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 01:20:46 pm by ArgyrisGiannetakis »

Offline blackkite

« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2013, 03:17:56 pm »
Oh hanging point!
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 03:22:31 pm by blackkite »

« Reply #56 on: December 24, 2013, 12:44:47 pm »
Just receive great news from a great CRAFTMAN MERLYN GRAVES and his incredible huge Beech Starship 25%!!!
He made the maiden flight before few days!!!After 18 months from unsuccessful take of ( not enough space to take of) he rebuild it the small damage!!!
Congratulations great achievement for canard lovers!!! ;) ;)
Here is the first video!!!

And here is the new successful flight!!!

Also here is the link with his build!!!
http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=10966&PN=1&TPN=1
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 12:53:08 pm by ArgyrisGiannetakis »

Offline blackkite

« Reply #57 on: December 24, 2013, 03:26:47 pm »
It is uncanny!!! :o
It seems to control so that an angle of attack may not be enlarged as much as possible in me.

The experimental model of Curtis XP-55 was lost in the stall accident.
Although the test was continued by two sets by which additional manufacture was carried out, stability was bad and stall occurred frequently.
Moreover, the takeoff took time and engine cooling was not completed continuously.

At the time of a takeoff, No. 1 of MXY-6 motor glider which the Tsuruno engineer controls stalled, and it damaged it.
According to Japanese famous aeronautical engineer Tsuruo Torikai,
“If the stalling behavior of a front wing is bad and the lift assignment rate of a front wing is large, when a front wing stall, intense head lowering will arise.
Since the main wing is not stall, it does not go into a spin, but the altitude loss to recovery is a problem. Canard shape has stall possiblity in dogfight.
When a front wing stall in response to a gust at the landing approach, there is a possibility of crashing into a runway.
In order to make quiet head lowering take place, the lift assignment rate of a front wing may be made small.”

Kyushu hikoki changed Shinden front wing inclined angle from 0 degree to 3 degree for counter measure of propeller torque.
But qualitatively it had a bad influence to stall?
There was a discussion that how about install automatic air combat flap to Shinden. But Tsuruno rejected this.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 06:29:49 am by blackkite »

Offline blackkite

« Reply #58 on: December 25, 2013, 03:29:49 pm »
Hi ArgyrisGiannetakis! How about weight control of your new metal Shinden? How about wing loading compared with your former model?
Of course 15% larger front wing will modify stall characteristic, but I think it also has the possibility of rapid nose down when front wing stall.
Any way stall is the big problem for canarad type aircraft. Starship was hard to control?
I want to call you AG from now. No problem?
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 03:39:01 pm by blackkite »

Offline blackkite

« Reply #59 on: December 25, 2013, 03:56:19 pm »
Beechcraft Starship.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beechcraft_Starship

The program was delayed several times, at first due to underestimating the developmental complexity and manufacturing learning curve of the production composite construction, and later due to the technical difficulties of correcting a pitch damping problem and developing the stall-warning system.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 03:58:17 pm by blackkite »

« Reply #60 on: December 26, 2013, 11:16:05 am »
Dear Blackkite, Argyris means Silver in english ;D ;D AG is ok no problem. ;D
About Merlyn's starship it looks and Merlyn also said that it was nose heavy and he hold up always in flight.So  take of it was long, but he had also 90* cross wind.Canard are enough proof in cross winds! ;D In forum Merlyn said that he take out a lot of weight from nose!
-About the canard stall, i think canard are stall proof much more from conventional aircraft but canard are sensitive with CG and with reynolds numbers on canard.So it needs very new technology airfoils and light weight composites tech, parts for success flight.
I believe Shinden was very far front age ahead of it's time and this design was very far better from all american or other canard design!!!! and from today's designs!!If we thing what they design back in 1944 without computers and simulators, Mr Tsuruno and his team were heroes!!!Shinden's foreplane wing canard was by far hi tech design with folding flap, slats, trim tab!!!!even today's so much tech on canard airfoil!!
The big problem i thing was the engine not the aircraft.
So sad for this beauty...only 45 minutes flight :'(

« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 12:18:02 am by ArgyrisGiannetakis »

« Reply #61 on: December 26, 2013, 12:07:16 pm »
About my Shinden i resize 15% the canard  just to help the reynolds numbers and the stall characteristics.I don't know if it was right this but all the other who build shinden they also resize the canard also with success flight!!!
When resize the canard automatically you move the cg front so change the balance.So at lower speed the canard hold more weight.
If we go to real size shinden, when the flaps deployed the canard also deploy the slats and the the folding flap and elevator.
The canard with this mechanism automatically resize his size 25% so the CG automatically moved front.For this reason Mr tsuruno holding always up in flight, and mostly with flaps.
I don't know this how will work in my shinden.
About my Shinden this is mockup, and from this i will made the mold.It can't fly.

I send also one photo with two different CG.One with normal size and one with resize the front.

Dear Blackkite do you speak Japanese?I saw you translate a lot of information's from shinden story.Nice to have here a translator !!!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 12:24:39 pm by ArgyrisGiannetakis »

« Reply #62 on: December 27, 2013, 03:59:01 am »
Dear Blakkite WOW!!!This is wonderful, a scientist, Congratulations for your very interesting work!!!Fascinating job!!!Sorry also for my english.Yours is great mine is poorest ;D
I always love japan!I work  in shop of tamiya distributor here in Athens Greece, a modelling shop with remote control and static models hasegawa and many others companies.
I always wish to visit one day japan and also the NASM museum in USA just to see Shinden from near!Unfortunately they haven't restore get and i also know that you must have permission to visit Paul E. camber facility with stored Shinden.So sad. :'(
Maybe we must give appointment the two of us and visit, with your Scientist permission!!!HAHAHAHAHA
I build my first shinden from one 1/48 hasegawa plastic model and some information from internet.Then i remember a Greek friend who lives in japan and work for http://www.arawasi.jp/ a book store.He live with his japanese wife.
Arawasi book store has a lot of historical books for navy,air force, and    soldiery,so he send me one book FAMOUS AIRPLANE OF THE WORLD 1978 EDITION!!and one original plan.!Unfortunately for me is in Japanese so only the photos are useful for me :'( and of course the plan!!!This book has for sure a lot of information :'(
I would like to give one of my new SHINDEN in one japanese museum when i finish my molds!!
SHINDEN BACK TO JAPAN!! :) :)
A few days ago i sent a e-mail to zoukei mura.Their team had visited NASM and took a lot of photos!!I ask them if they can help me with some close photos of foreplane canard , slats,..Maybe i'm lucky and they reply!!

« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 04:05:23 am by ArgyrisGiannetakis »

Offline blackkite

« Reply #63 on: December 28, 2013, 03:50:36 am »
Sorry AG. I deleted my two posts. It's meaninglessly too detailed information. :-X
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 05:49:15 pm by blackkite »

« Reply #64 on: December 29, 2013, 04:37:16 am »
OHH That photo is rare and nice!!!Thank you Blackkite!!Do you have any rare photos from books about Shinden?Is it for you easy to scan and copy?Thanks!!

Offline blackkite

« Reply #65 on: December 29, 2013, 04:43:55 am »
OK  AG. Give me time. :D

« Reply #66 on: January 02, 2014, 01:02:26 pm »
Some progress with some parts.

« Reply #67 on: January 03, 2014, 09:49:58 am »

Offline blackkite

« Reply #68 on: January 03, 2014, 02:50:03 pm »
Oh! FRP or CFRP?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 02:51:50 pm by blackkite »

Offline hartmutbehrendt

« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2014, 09:31:04 am »
Yes Dear Hartmut thank you!!Send greetings to Josef and tell him that he is a GREAT MODELLER!!Also pleeeeease send some more photos or test videos and some specifications and dimensions and engine about shinden.It will be help a lot of us!!!Ki 94 is AWESOME!!!!SHINDEN IS MAGNIFICENT LIGHTING ;) ;) :D :D!!!!
Did he have find the exact CG point?How much percent rear from leading edge he is?Mine it was 14%behind front leading edge and it was i THING little front heavier!Maybe on my new Shinden keep it at the same.I had oversize 15% the front canard so this change some things!
Also advise him to do something with the torque!It's critical!I had 1* down thrust and i thing that maybe need 1*upthrust.For sure it needs left thrust!! as we seen from behind the model.If you see the maiden you will see the runway take of  tended to up the left wing tip!!

Hello Agyris, now I have received the data from Josef, but in german; I will translate it and put it in here soon,
Hartmut
Hartmut

« Reply #70 on: January 07, 2014, 11:21:54 am »
Thank you dear Hartmut!!I hope all the best and good year!!

« Reply #71 on: January 12, 2014, 11:35:40 am »
 :)some progress.

Offline blackkite

« Reply #72 on: January 14, 2014, 03:57:44 pm »
What a realistic part it is! You can restore Shinden perfectly. ;D
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 02:47:09 am by blackkite »

« Reply #73 on: January 20, 2014, 01:18:40 pm »
I finish all the small parts with molding.Now i start the fuselage.

« Reply #74 on: January 21, 2014, 07:28:45 am »

Offline blackkite

« Reply #75 on: February 01, 2014, 04:17:19 am »
Hmmm......Hard to understand what you are doing for my very poor brain. ;D
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 04:20:09 am by blackkite »

« Reply #76 on: February 01, 2014, 07:06:12 am »
Hello dear friend Blackite!All these parts are molds ,negative molds and from all these molds i will build the all glass composite shinden!I send you a photo from my F-80 which also i have all the molds!

Offline blackkite

« Reply #77 on: February 01, 2014, 08:53:53 pm »
Following procedure?
(1) wooden molds (2) alminum precies molds which covered wooden molds (positive molds) (3) negative molds (plastic) (4) FRP parts

« Reply #78 on: February 02, 2014, 01:08:19 am »
Yes that's right! this is the procedure!

Offline blackkite

« Reply #79 on: February 02, 2014, 04:04:28 am »
Thanks AG. So most important procedure is to make precise wooden molds. I imagine that it's very hard to make precise smooth wooden wing.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 04:09:32 am by blackkite »

« Reply #80 on: February 05, 2014, 01:24:56 pm »
Some new progress.

Offline blackkite

« Reply #81 on: February 05, 2014, 10:54:26 pm »
What a delicate, smooth and beautiful curve!!

« Reply #82 on: February 19, 2014, 12:37:53 am »

Offline blackkite

« Reply #83 on: February 19, 2014, 05:50:35 pm »
Many thanks for sharing us a precious movie. What a hard procedure!
You are also excellent movie maker. :D
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 05:53:05 pm by blackkite »

« Reply #84 on: February 24, 2014, 05:18:31 am »
Thank you blackite!I 'm ready to molding the fuselage.

Offline blackkite

« Reply #85 on: February 24, 2014, 02:07:06 pm »
Hmmm....I can see engine cooling air intake and ejector type oil cooler air intake.

« Reply #86 on: February 25, 2014, 06:52:51 am »

Offline blackkite

« Reply #87 on: February 25, 2014, 06:41:19 pm »
Oh canopy! Do you need heating when moulding?

« Reply #88 on: February 26, 2014, 02:24:26 am »
Only the lexan heating!

Offline blackkite

« Reply #89 on: February 26, 2014, 04:49:31 pm »
Wow what a amazing P-80 flying model! :o Jet engine?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 04:58:44 pm by blackkite »

« Reply #90 on: February 27, 2014, 05:56:43 am »
Yes this is my previous project from 2000, i had made 5 f-80 3 glow ducted fan one with PST 600r and one EDF.Here some videos

« Reply #91 on: February 27, 2014, 12:36:05 pm »
Sunday i mold the half one of fuselage!

Offline blackkite

« Reply #92 on: February 27, 2014, 03:30:39 pm »
Incredible totally. You are an engineer and also an artist.  :o
The people from Greece are great, too.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 03:33:28 pm by blackkite »

Offline blackkite

« Reply #93 on: February 28, 2014, 03:12:10 am »
Hi AG! I feel that the engine sound looks like piston engine not gas turbine engine. Is it right?
Your engine for P-80 is piston engine drive ducted fan engine?

« Reply #94 on: March 03, 2014, 07:57:28 am »
Thank you very much Blackite!Yes one is with piston engine DF and the other two are with electric and jet engine.

« Reply #95 on: March 03, 2014, 07:59:52 am »
After 9 continuous hours of molding the one side of the mold is ready! ;) :P :P

Offline blackkite

« Reply #96 on: March 03, 2014, 03:59:37 pm »
Excellent work!! Then you can make a one side of FRP fuselage and add airintake for supercharger.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 04:02:10 pm by blackkite »

« Reply #97 on: March 05, 2014, 12:44:22 am »
Yes the supercharger intake will be add to fuselage !

« Reply #98 on: March 21, 2014, 06:11:14 am »
SOME NEW FOTOS AND VIDEO.

« Reply #99 on: March 21, 2014, 06:11:52 am »
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 01:12:47 am by ArgyrisGiannetakis »

Offline blackkite

« Reply #100 on: March 23, 2014, 04:24:39 pm »
Thanks! Not only detailed, but also fly. Surprising model. :o
And your kid? :D

« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 05:06:34 pm by blackkite »

« Reply #101 on: March 26, 2014, 03:50:12 pm »
He is my dear nephew.I'm not married  ;DI'm search for a beautyfull Japanese girl ;DMake for me a date and I will be there ;D
Until then here is more photos...

Offline blackkite

« Reply #102 on: March 26, 2014, 04:18:33 pm »
Since you are not married, you are very fortunate.
Although my wife is a Japanese, she is fearfully fearful. ;D

« Reply #103 on: April 09, 2014, 03:00:27 pm »
Some new progress

Offline blackkite

« Reply #104 on: April 09, 2014, 11:39:35 pm »
Oh wing!!

« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 12:44:12 am by blackkite »

« Reply #105 on: April 15, 2014, 12:32:33 pm »
SOME NEW PHOTOS....

Offline blackkite

« Reply #106 on: April 15, 2014, 10:19:04 pm »
Hi!

« Reply #107 on: April 30, 2014, 03:04:42 am »
The molds are ready for parts!

« Reply #108 on: April 30, 2014, 03:05:43 am »
And the video also!

Offline Jemiba

• Global Moderator
« Reply #109 on: April 30, 2014, 03:25:16 am »
Really great to folllow the progress of your work. Excellent craftmanship !
Are you planning a whole series of Shinden ? Should be no problem with the moulds you've made.

« Reply #110 on: April 30, 2014, 03:36:04 am »
Thank you very much!Yes with the molds can make a lot of!

Offline blackkite

« Reply #111 on: April 30, 2014, 11:43:08 pm »
Hi! :D

Offline Jemiba

• Global Moderator
« Reply #112 on: May 01, 2014, 01:36:24 am »
Compared to those other models it looks somewhat funny, but such a "Schaumwaffel" ("foam wafer", nickname for
models made from depron) may be the best and cheapest way to test the behaviour of unusual aerodynamic
layouts. Easy and cheap to be built and near to be indestructable !

« Reply #113 on: May 02, 2014, 01:38:20 pm »
I have  great news from Hartmut and Josef's SHINDEN!Hartmut send me the new video with josef's shinden Styrofoam test!ALL went well and shinden fly great!!I would like to thank josef and hartmut and from this forum!Because of my shinden josef build Styrofoam to test it and then to transfer all the knowledge to his big SHINDEN!
Of corse is help also for me!This test give me courage!So  thank him very much!
Here is the test video!I wish them good luck and safe landing for the big shinden!

Offline blackkite

« Reply #114 on: May 02, 2014, 09:49:59 pm »
Wow thanks and congratulations. Canard is hard!!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 09:51:48 pm by blackkite »

« Reply #115 on: May 05, 2014, 12:44:47 pm »
some news

« Reply #116 on: May 26, 2014, 08:49:31 am »
The first fuselage is ready!

« Reply #117 on: May 26, 2014, 08:52:58 am »
And the video! ;)

Offline blackkite

« Reply #118 on: May 27, 2014, 03:03:37 pm »
Excellent!

Please watch another Shinden model flight movie.

Offline blackkite

« Reply #119 on: June 17, 2014, 05:39:16 pm »
Hi!

« Reply #120 on: June 18, 2014, 06:49:35 am »
Very nice dear blackkite!!!Thank you!!

« Reply #121 on: June 18, 2014, 06:53:16 am »
Some progress!

« Reply #122 on: June 18, 2014, 07:11:46 am »
Here is the new video from josef and hartmut with 3 nd 4 flight of foam shinden!!!!!!

Offline blackkite

« Reply #123 on: June 18, 2014, 09:51:48 pm »
Wow thanks. Amazing flight!! Looks like real aircraft flight demonstration. :o
We can see rapid nose down at front wing stall when mid air low speed high angle of attack flight.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 09:21:38 pm by blackkite »

« Reply #124 on: July 19, 2014, 07:20:49 am »
Some new progress! ;) ;)

« Reply #125 on: July 19, 2014, 07:24:23 am »
 ;)

« Reply #126 on: July 19, 2014, 07:27:38 am »

Offline blackkite

« Reply #127 on: July 19, 2014, 04:50:42 pm »
Systematic!!  :)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 05:41:56 pm by blackkite »

« Reply #128 on: July 25, 2014, 02:29:53 pm »

« Reply #129 on: July 25, 2014, 02:31:05 pm »

Offline blackkite

« Reply #130 on: July 26, 2014, 02:44:08 pm »
Strength members!!

« Reply #131 on: August 20, 2014, 12:51:54 pm »
Some new progress!!!

« Reply #132 on: August 20, 2014, 12:53:24 pm »

Offline blackkite

« Reply #133 on: August 20, 2014, 02:51:49 pm »
Electric airplane!! It is wonderful accuracy. :o
I can't stop imaging jet powered model.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 03:06:16 pm by blackkite »

Offline blackkite

« Reply #134 on: October 11, 2014, 03:14:43 pm »
Hi AG! How about your amazing Shinden?

« Reply #135 on: October 14, 2014, 03:26:58 pm »
Hello !Sorry for delay.I'm near to start tests!

« Reply #136 on: October 14, 2014, 03:31:53 pm »
 ;)

Offline Jemiba

• Global Moderator
« Reply #137 on: October 14, 2014, 09:40:13 pm »
Thanks for the update, really looks great and I'm waiting for the first photos/videos
of the maiden flight !   ;)

Electric airplane!! It is wonderful accuracy. :o
I can't stop imaging jet powered model.

Don't know about Greece, but even with piston engined models, it's a bit difficult today
to find a place to fly them, not to mention with jet powered ones !
Although somewhat missing the "real sound", electric power multiplies the number of
available RC airfields in more densely populated areas.  ;)

Offline blackkite

« Reply #138 on: October 14, 2014, 11:43:27 pm »
Wonderful news! What a beautiful model it is! Moving parts are excellent.Good luck to you. :)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 01:08:15 am by blackkite »

Offline hartmutbehrendt

« Reply #139 on: October 18, 2014, 11:44:16 am »
 :-[Hello, here is Hartmut again with some news about Josefs Shinden, not really good ones. See the following URL:

After successful test flights with the styrodur Shinden (half size) Joseph modified his large  Shinden with the same settings.

The test flight failed because the side thrust of the engine did not occur to the correct side, the model side sliped to the right). Furthermore, Josef did not correct the side slip by using the rudders.
In addition, Josef has added some elevator function with the ailerons to support the Canard. He is using an aileron system ‘Frise’ where  their leading edges at upward deflection rises downwards from the wings underside, sticking out to support the rudder effect in turning flight. The admixing as elevators both lower edges of course slow the airflow under the wings, which lift is anyway already weakened by the landing gear openings and legs. The speed also was not increasing by that as Joseph gave a little more elevator because of the forest. Thus, the wrong side thrust was increasing more and more so that the side slide angle grow bigger  andbigger, until then the strong side airstream turned the model. Thus, the speed was quite gone now and the Shinden crashed.
Joseph had at this time the feeling that the engine was not running at peak performance, he didn’t measure the revolutions of the engine again before the flight.
By a big chance the model crashed pretty much on the nose, this cushioned most of the impact. The fuselage nose was pretty smashed, the nose landing gear and right hand main landing gear were badly bent; the right hand vertical stabilizer was broken.
Meanwhile Josef has repaired his large Shinden, he is just waiting for the repaired landing gears.
Josef corrected the side thrust of the engine on his Styro-Shinden to zero and the engine down thrust to minus 2.5 degrees (Spinner upwards). The model now flies much better than ever before.
Regards, Hartmut
Hartmut

Offline blackkite

« Reply #140 on: October 18, 2014, 07:42:49 pm »
It was really good to restore the body.
A next flight will surely be successful.
Do your best, Joseph.  :D

Offline Jemiba

• Global Moderator
« Reply #141 on: October 19, 2014, 02:04:35 am »
Better luck for the next time, such accidents are really a pity, but not always
avoidable, as the "real world of aviation" shows, too.   :-\
I'm just wondering, if it wouldn't be recommendable for example just to fit a
kind of provisional landing gear, more primitive, not retractable but more sturdy
and maybe fitted with predetermined breaking points to safeguard the wing and
fuselage structure ? Saw something like that on a big scale helicopter model and
it looked somewhat strange, but as the owner told me, made test flying easier
and safer for the structural parts.

Offline blackkite

« Reply #142 on: October 19, 2014, 06:24:02 am »
Hi! Normal shape aircraft is easy to fly even sea plane.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 06:37:17 am by blackkite »

« Reply #143 on: October 20, 2014, 12:35:23 pm »
Yes dear blackkite ,Hartmut send me also the same e-mail!I'm sorry for his bad maiden but I fortunately the damage was small and will  try again with better flight !!I have so much trust to Josef!He is GREAT BUILDER AND PILOT!

Offline blackkite

« Reply #144 on: October 21, 2014, 05:01:51 am »
I have so much trust to Josef!He is GREAT BUILDER AND PILOT!
Yes same as you. I respect all RC modellers and RC model pilots very much. :D
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 05:03:30 am by blackkite »

« Reply #145 on: October 31, 2014, 02:12:39 pm »
START TEST!

Offline blackkite

« Reply #146 on: October 31, 2014, 03:01:36 pm »
Congratulations on completion of your super model!
This model is precise and intrepid.
Moreover, this model is large and beautiful.
It is worthy more than enough also as an exhibition model.
It is an ultimate model truly.
It is not believed in Greece far away from Japan that such a model was born.
Please carry out an examination prior enough, also have confidence and greet the first flight.
I am praying for a success of the first flight.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 03:05:10 pm by blackkite »

Offline Jemiba

• Global Moderator
« Reply #147 on: November 01, 2014, 03:52:57 am »
Good luck and all the best for the maiden flight !  ;)

« Reply #148 on: November 04, 2014, 11:38:36 am »
Thank you very much!
I made also some new test runs!I have to finish only the last cg balance.

Offline Grey Havoc

• _ \\ //
« Reply #149 on: November 04, 2014, 11:51:51 am »
START TEST!

Is that a trainee feline test pilot I see there?  ;D
To the Stars

Offline blackkite

« Reply #150 on: November 05, 2014, 06:30:52 pm »
Hi AG! Very exciting movie. I feel that I myself became a pilot of Shinden completely.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 06:41:05 pm by blackkite »

Offline hartmutbehrendt

« Reply #151 on: November 07, 2014, 03:16:29 am »
 :) :) :)Hello Argyris, on this place again, all the best for your first flight!!!! Regards, Hartmut and Josef
Hartmut

« Reply #152 on: November 22, 2014, 01:08:44 pm »
Dear Blackkite hello.I have some news , I made some new test runs!The shinden looks like he can fly!xaxa !I'm near to maiden flight.I hope you like it!

Offline Jemiba

• Global Moderator
« Reply #153 on: November 22, 2014, 01:26:22 pm »
Looks like the nose wheel leg collapsed during the last hop ? All the best, that
this won't happen again and especially not during the hopefully succesful maiden flight !

Offline blackkite

« Reply #154 on: November 23, 2014, 06:47:18 am »
Wow AG!! Thanks for good video and news. :D

« Reply #155 on: February 02, 2015, 04:13:44 am »

Offline blackkite

« Reply #156 on: February 02, 2015, 10:55:51 pm »
Wow AG. Go Go Go Go!!! Be careful for C.G. position.

Please enjoy Japanese Shinden model flight.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 12:46:52 am by blackkite »

Offline blackkite

« Reply #157 on: May 20, 2015, 02:35:11 pm »
Hi AG! How are you?
I find this video today. We look forward your next flight.
Go Go Go!!! :D
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 02:49:38 pm by blackkite »

Offline hartmutbehrendt

« Reply #158 on: October 11, 2015, 06:31:11 am »
 :) :) :) HORRIDO...Josefs SHINDEN fliiieesss!!!!

See the following URL:

Have fun watching the video.

Regards, Hartmut
Hartmut

Offline blackkite

« Reply #159 on: October 11, 2015, 02:51:24 pm »
Ohhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!Bravo Josef.

Offline hartmutbehrendt

« Reply #160 on: October 29, 2015, 04:06:18 am »
 :)Hello, after some modifications the third flight of Josefs SHINDEN was excellent, see here:

Cheers, Hartmut
Hartmut

Offline blackkite

« Reply #161 on: October 29, 2015, 11:49:23 pm »
Thanks a lot.What a perfect and a beautiful flight.
Be careful for "Gone With the Shinden". ;D
Please click.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 12:28:50 am by blackkite »

Offline Tzoli

« Reply #162 on: October 30, 2015, 07:41:10 am »
About these Radio Controlled models. Modellers should made accurate representation of the crafts? Not the shape of the model but the actual power to weight ratio? All videos I've seen the models are flown like their engine are way over powered to the weight of the actual craft and they fly or turn a bit weirdly.
Aren't there are modellers who actually take this into account as well?
In the case of the Shinden it's power to weight ratio was 317,8 W/Kg or 0,426hp/kg. (with loaded weight of rounded 5ton)
I don't know how heavy these models were but for an example of a 1:50th scale (weight wise) the engine power should be 31,78KW or 42,6hp (100kg plane).

Offline merriman

• David Douglass Merriman lll
« Reply #163 on: October 30, 2015, 07:35:19 pm »
Sure, we'll do that .... the moment the fluid we 'fly' through has it's atoms sized to the same scale as the model.

Mr. Reynolds, call you office.

David
We're the extra fuel they may need, Stanton...

Offline blackkite

« Reply #164 on: October 30, 2015, 08:58:09 pm »
The world of radio control aircraft is a severe one.  :o
I think this model can fly the severe condition wonderfully.
Aerodynamic characteristics seems to be excellent.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 10:05:44 pm by blackkite »