Register here

Author Topic: DARPA Experimental Spaceplane (XS-1)  (Read 28077 times)

Offline DSE

• CLEARANCE: Secret
DARPA Experimental Spaceplane (XS-1)
« on: November 13, 2013, 12:21:02 pm »

Offline ikke666

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
Re: DARPA Experimental Spaceplane (XS-1)
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 10:15:39 am »
cooool  B)

Offline XP67_Moonbat

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 08:26:20 pm »
From Page 24 of the Program Overview
In God we trust, all others we monitor. :-p

Offline bobbymike

"The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection." - Thomas Paine

"On what principle is it that with nothing but improvement behind us, we are to expect nothing but deterioration before us?" - Lord Macaulay

Offline Grey Havoc

• _ \\ //
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 12:52:13 pm »
Via the Space.com article:
To the Stars

Offline FighterJock

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 09:27:10 am »
A very cool find  B)  I wonder if it would see the light of day as flyable hardware and not just a paper exercise.

Offline sferrin

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 09:40:11 am »
A very cool find  B)  I wonder if it would see the light of day as flyable hardware and not just a paper exercise.

I'd put the odds somewhere between "hell no" and "BWAH HAH HAH HA".   :'(
"DARPA Hard"  It ain't what it use to be.

Offline sferrin

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 12:06:33 pm »

DAMN, an optimist! How about this new RFI from the USAF Space and Missile Command in LA to Terminal Phase Experiments?
"The ultimate goal of the flight program is to address technical challenges and improve understanding of terminal phase performance of hypersonic flight vehicles."

This leaves me wondering what happened to the information they got from Pershing II RVs?   ???
"DARPA Hard"  It ain't what it use to be.

Offline PMN1

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 04:40:32 am »
On the subject of loosing data, there is an interesting cooment in BSP: Hupersonics, Ramjets and Missiles.

In his unpublished memoir on ramjet development at Bristol Aero Engines and BSEL, John Lane describes a series of papers he wrote with Robin Jamieson on air-breathing high-speed propulsion systems. Lane makes a very interesting statement: “The papers caused quite a stir when they came out and were ahead of the field. The work was trotted around the US by the author for Rolls Royce in the 1980’s. The author found that the US had not recorded their own work and had forgotten most of it.’

Offline blackstar

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 05:03:57 am »

They may develop some hardware. Whether it ultimately flies or not is another question. This is pretty ambitious. Many DARPA projects are ambitious, but many DARPA projects die early on. Although DARPA has this popular image as a miracle factory, the reality is that much of what they try fails. You expect that in cutting edge R&D, but I have talked to a few very knowledgeable people who actually think that DARPA pursues too many high risk projects and really should dial it back. I think that's an argument that resurfaces in the R&D community and DARPA at least once a decade.

Offline blackstar

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2014, 05:13:21 am »
This leaves me wondering what happened to the information they got from Pershing II RVs?

There's lots of data. But there's lots of different kinds of data to gather too. There is all kinds of hypersonic research, from how to control a hypersonic vehicle in flight (which you can do by firing an HV on a rocket and then letting it glide at hypersonic speeds, like they did with the HVX-2) to the major challenge, which is an air-breathing hypersonic engine.

I haven't looked closely at DARPA's XS-1 program, but off the top of my head my guess is that gathering hypersonic data is just a box that they checked to get that community on board. It is common with research proposals (for instance, when people are asking for money) to claim that your project will not only reveal the secrets of the universe, but will also cure cancer and work well as a floor polish. So my guess is that they looked at the regime that this thing will operate in and said "Hey, let's try and get the support of the hypersonics people too, because it will fly hypersonically."

The U.S. made substantial progress on hypersonics in the past decade or so, but there are still some big gaps in the data. There is no concerted U.S. hypersonics research program right now (it has sort of fallen through the cracks), but at least China is still going strong!

Offline Orionblamblam

• Secret Projects Guru
  • Top Contributor
    • Aerospace Projects Review
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2014, 06:49:56 pm »
US Military's XS-1 Space Plane Project Seeks $27 Million in 2015 Funding
The U.S. Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency expects to spend some $800 million on space programs from 2015 through 2018, an increase of $130 million over what was projected at this time last year, Defense Department [size=100%]budget[/size] documents show.
 Nearly all of the targeted increase for DARPA's Space Programs and Technology Office is backloaded into the outyears, the documents show. For 2015, the office is seeking nearly $180 million, only $7.5 million more than this year’s funding level.
Aerospace Projects Review

And so the endless circle of life comes to an end, meaningless and grim. Why did they live, and why did they die? No reason. Two hundred million years of evolution snuffed out, for in the end Nature is horrific and teaches us nothing

Offline airrocket

• Dreams To Reality
    • Retro Flight
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2014, 08:14:46 pm »
So what company won its been several weeks past the submit date????
Vis Viva

Offline Orionblamblam

• Secret Projects Guru
  • Top Contributor
    • Aerospace Projects Review
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2014, 09:25:19 pm »
IIRC, *four* companies were to win Phase A contracts. I don't think winners have been announced yet.
Aerospace Projects Review

And so the endless circle of life comes to an end, meaningless and grim. Why did they live, and why did they die? No reason. Two hundred million years of evolution snuffed out, for in the end Nature is horrific and teaches us nothing

Offline DSE

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2014, 04:05:09 am »
So what company won its been several weeks past the submit date? ???

Parabolic Arc: DARPA Moves Forward With Phoenix, ALASA and XS-1 Projects

No players yet, but shows requested FY15 $$.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 04:14:58 am by DSE »