Lockheed A-12 Cygnus

Fantastic! I always loved the way this aircraft looked unpainted.

RAP said:
Fantastic! I always loved the way this aircraft looked unpainted.

I agree, I loved the very first OXCART in its aluminium beauty....

Steve Pace said:
I love the smell of Titanium in the morning. Excellent artwork! -SP

Thanks Steve, I really liked your citation from "Apocalypse OXCART"...

I have nothing to add but a picture of me in Lackland AFB hanging on SR-71 a couple of years ago. I hope this is not too much off topic.

Attachments

• sr71.jpg
    sr71.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 432
Cutaway Lockheed A-12, modified by Motocar

11955735775_19a7edf692_o.gif

Success

What are these teardrop pods, which are over the wing / fuselage, have to do?
If real or just fiction, please let us know!
Thanks in advance!

Real, but not flightworthy. Reportedly, they were old P-80 droptanks mounted in cradles above the wings to facilitate engine ground tests when the integral fuel tanks leaked badly. Rather than delay the tests, the tanks were added; the internal fuel tanks were resealed before the first flight and the temporary tanks were removed, never to be seen again.

The missile separation camera pods are a feature of the YF-12A; not the A-12. Many other details on the drawing appear to be ... imaginary.

fightingirish said:
What are these teardrop pods, which are over the wing / fuselage, have to do?
If real or just fiction, please let us know!
Thanks in advance!
Greetings, the explanation
In the images that accompany the schematic cut can be seen in one of the photographs in the process of recruitment of one of the prototypes of the A-12, being temporarily installed tanks "nadkrylevye" on the wings, the image was published in Russian:
http://aviadejavu.ru/Site/Crafts/Craft20374.htm

7-1.jpg

Great job Motocar!!!
I always appreciate your "corte esquematicos" (cutaways).

Ciao
Giuseppe

Archipeppe,

Your artwork is always beautiful and educational. Another great aircraft.

My father had friends who flew the early SR's and related aircraft, before many of the onboard systems were automated. His friends said that simultaneously flying the aircraft, staying ahead of the flight parameters for all of the systems, and navigating made for extremely busy flights, especially in the single seat versions.

I'm looking forward to your next creation.

Cheers from Texas!

SAustin16 said:
Archipeppe,

Your artwork is always beautiful and educational. Another great aircraft.

My father had friends who flew the early SR's and related aircraft, before many of the onboard systems were automated. His friends said that simultaneously flying the aircraft, staying ahead of the flight parameters for all of the systems, and navigating made for extremely busy flights, especially in the single seat versions.

I'm looking forward to your next creation.

Cheers from Texas!

Many thanks Steve for your appreciation.
Apart of my regular SP posts You may will also find a lot of my artworks (some old but some brand new) in the next Steve Pace's book:

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,23143.0.html

Ciao
Giuseppe