Here's what I found out on the subject:B-52B
- K-3A bombing navigation system, APS-23 search radar, optical bombsight Y-3, bombing computer A-1A. There is no dopler radar in this modification.B-52C/D
- MA-6A bombing navigation system (improved version of K-3A) with APS-23 search radar: tracking range 50 nm, 10-inch radar screen, equipment for indirect bomb damage assessment, an attachment for presetting of data on two different offset aiming points near a target. By the middle of 1960s was installed ASQ-48 Weapons System; ASB-15 bombing navigation system with APS-104 search radar.
Was the ASQ-48 Weapons System brand new or just modification of old MA-6A system???B-52E/F
- ASQ-38 Weapons System, ASB-4 bombing navigation system with APS-64 high speed bombing radar, also ASB-4 was known as the MA-2 BRANE system
In the middle of 1960s ASB-4 system was modified for low-altitude penetration under the Jolly Well programme and became the ASB-4A
; ASQ-38 became the ASQ-38(V)
Ongoing problems with avionics systems were addressed in the Jolly Well program, completed in 1964, which improved components of the AN/ASQ-38 bombing navigational computer and the terrain computer. The MADREC (Malfunction Detection and Recording) upgrade fitted to most aircraft by 1965 could detect failures in avionics and weapons computer systems, and was essential in monitoring the Hound Dog missiles.http://www.bombnav.org/INFO/B-52/asq-38/b526.htm
The modification invloved complete re-make of the Terrain Avoidance Computer, affected controls and displays, and new automated depot test equipment. The remake consisted of changing design from a calculation of height over terrain, to calculation of angle-of-sight, given a constant input of known height over terrain. All affected vacuum tube circuit assemblies were gutted and replaced with solid state devices.
This was the last major modification to the Q-38 system on B-52 E through H Models, and the duplicated portions for terrain avoidance on B-52 C and D Models that were still flying the mechanical analog Sperry K-System from the late 1940's.)B-52G
- ASQ-38 Weapons System, ASB-9 bombing navigation system which was the same that ASB-4 but without optical bombsight; IMHO this modification was equipped wit APS-64 Improved High speed bombing radar?
By the middle of 1960s ASB-9 system was modified for low-altitude penetration under the Jolly Well programme and became the ASB-9A
; ASQ-38 became the ASQ-38(V)B-52H
- ASQ-38 Weapons System, ASB-9A bombing navigation system with APS-81 Advanced Capabilities Radar (ACR)?
What was the ASB-16 bombing navigation system for B-52G??? Was it modification with B-52H` ACR radar for B-52G???