20160609_184134.jpg
    704.1 KB · Views: 104
  • 20160609_184842.jpg
    20160609_184842.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 128
  • 20160609_184931.jpg
    20160609_184931.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 178
Yes, thanks for sharing those. Lots of details I hadn't noticed before.

Good pics, thanks!

PICTURES: Scorpion carries out weapons testing over White Sands

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/pictures-scorpion-carries-out-weapons-testing-over-430565/

http://www.scorpionjet.com/first-production-conforming-scorpion-jet-completes-successful-first-flight/

Yay! I was wondering when we would see the production conforming Scorpion. Can't see any updated info to see the differences yet though.

Yes, I knew what was being changed but I was hoping for a nice 3 view on the website showing the differences :D

You can see the changes in these pictures from the website anyway -

Attachments

• 54A5116_01.jpg
    54A5116_01.jpg
    925.9 KB · Views: 702
  • TAL-HERO-Media_CapitolLanding-9-13-14-2.jpg
    TAL-HERO-Media_CapitolLanding-9-13-14-2.jpg
    489.8 KB · Views: 734
Looks like there are a few other changes that are not mentioned in the story.
-Formation lights added at the nose and aft fuselage sides
-New Exhaust fairing
-Chaff/Flair dispenser installed
-Shaping of engine nacelle splitlines has changed
-Access hatches in the forward section of the fuselage has increased significantly from approximately 20% of the area covered by an access hatch to 65-70%
-Access hatches added to engine intake area
-Structure for the verticals is redesigned with the forward spar location having moved forward
-Looks like heated leading edge for the main wing
-Servo tab on rudders has different actuation method
-Wingtips and Vertical tips are slightly different

Overall, my guess would be that there are very few parts that are common between the two aircraft despite maintaining a relatively similar OML.

Here some new graphics showing the Scorpion Jet in RSAF camouflage.
Please notice the updates. B)
Source: https://twitter.com/SAUDI_AFN/status/874051903994417153

Attachments

• 20171111_Scorpion_DCFA_2017_01.jpg
    20171111_Scorpion_DCFA_2017_01.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 468
  • 20171111_Scorpion_DCFA_2017_02.jpg
    20171111_Scorpion_DCFA_2017_02.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 492
I can understand putting them there to give the sensors a better FOV and avoid the gear doors, but you have to think that's going to cause some center of gravity issues on release that far back.

err....yeah, my first thought was WTF? this has to be some BD guy getting a little bit too excited with the graphic artist.
That has to be a tailstrike hazard, besides very upsetting to weight and balance.

I personally think they would have more luck with this design if they made an uninhabited version.

I think they already pitched that as a possibility, didn't they?

What are the Sidewinder missiles for...an unlucky helicopter, Cessna, or drone that the Scorpion might encounter?

Because a Mig-29/35 or S-27/35 would eat his thing alive. Is the Scorpion going to be used on unarmed urban dwellers or lightly armed African rebels with no air cover?

What is its core mission because it seems very narrow. Good enough for some missions (against weak enemy with no air protection) and woefully inadequate against a moderately armed enemy with some type of Air force i.e. Mig-21, etc.

Is Bell expecting the Air Force to be so straddled with the F-35 and other expensive programs that it might become the workhorse for some type of urban unrest air support mission?

Probably the same reason the Nimrod, A-10's, Reapers, etc have carried AIM-9's even though they are geared for permissive environments.

There is something to be said for cheap airframes and flight hours available to fixed wing pilots, and everyone wants more ISR. I don't think the US is the target customer. Quite a few people probably interested in high-quality ISR and light strike capability at low cost without the "unmanned" factor.

_Del_ said:
Quite a few people probably interested in high-quality ISR and light strike capability at low cost without the "unmanned" factor.

Maybe ...but I don't see any realistic customers lining up.

AFRL’s AgilePod shows ISR versatility during Scorpion fit test

WRIGHT-PATTERSON AIR FORCE BASE, OH, UNITED STATES
Photo by David Dixon
Air Force Research Laboratory

WRIGHT-PATTERSON AIR FORCE BASE, Ohio – The Air Force Research Laboratory’s AgilePod is shown mounted on
the wing of the Textron Aviation Defense’s Scorpion Light Attack/ISR jet. The AgilePod is an Air Force-trademarked,
multi-intelligence reconfigurable pod that enables flight-line operators to customize sensor packages based on
specific mission needs. A fit check held late December, 2017, provided an opportunity to demonstrate the ability of
the pod to rapidly integrate onto a new platform with short notice, highlighting the benefits of Sensor Open Systems
Architecture. (Air Force photo by David Dixon/released)

https://www.dvidshub.net/image/4061719/afrls-agilepod-shows-isr-versatility-during-scorpion-fit-test

Attachments

• scorpion-with-agile-pod.jpg
    scorpion-with-agile-pod.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 289
What are the news for the Scorpion? Will Biden administration relaunch the McCain supported initiative for a COIN airframe?

err....yeah, my first thought was WTF? this has to be some BD guy getting a little bit too excited with the graphic artist.
That has to be a tailstrike hazard, besides very upsetting to weight and balance.

Doesn't the Mig-27 do this?

Putting disposable weight that far aft? i must admit i'm not familiar with the specifics of the MiG-27 ordnance carriage, but if they happened to be all the way back to the horizontal stabilizer, i'd be similarly intrigued. Do you have a picture by any chance?

Those are small munitions that far back, but I'm wondering if those pylons are just for a short range mission. I can't help thinking trim drag is going to be somewhat higher than normal, even if the tail is producing more lift while doing so.

Those are small munitions that far back, but I'm wondering if those pylons are just for a short range mission. I can't help thinking trim drag is going to be somewhat higher than normal, even if the tail is producing more lift while doing so.

That really feels like an attempt to meet a prospective customer requirement for a specific number of hardpoints that they couldn't quite fit under the wings.

The MiG-23BN/27 can carry bombs up to 500kg back there. But the MiG is a larger airplane and the aft pylons are not quite as far aft as on that Scorpion CGI.
That is most likely just fanart. I guess there isn't even any structure to support hardpoints since they are "mounted" right under the engine access panel.

I suspect that those rear hard points are meant for light ISR, targeting, or flare/chaff pods, not missiles/bombs/rockets, and it's just an artist's mistake.

Over the years be it Farnborough, RIAT (Royal International Air Tattoo at RAF Fairford) or Le Bourget I’ve had the pleasure, of Seeing the Textronland Scorpionjet. First time was Farnborough 2014.

Anyhow here are my photos from Paris Air Show 2015.

C81DBF3B-805B-4411-B63C-722BD44EFEEB.jpeg 3F2A336D-054E-4801-A0CF-18AD7BFCEDF4.jpeg 93C91455-478F-4737-A8CF-F27874DB9299.jpeg CC2EB742-4BEC-4DDE-A0C5-29032C0C127C.jpeg BDF11E57-AFE7-48E9-A635-D6DE54D3D993.jpeg

as a guest of Textron. Anyhow month later after Le Bourget ...I also was in the Textron chalet at RIAT when I noticed a group of Royal Navy Fleet Air Am aircrew enjoying the hospitality of Textron and Inzpire defense consultancy (made up of all ex military air crew providing training services to armed forces and produce the Flight and battle management Tablet called Gecko for pilots.

That summer, the Scorpionjet did a tour of the U.K. ...flew up to RAF Cranwell (also home of RAF College - Initial Officer Training and NCO aircrew. Also,home of both NCO, officer and aircrew selection and couple of flying training squadrons). It then went to Royal Naval Air Station Culdrose in Cornwall to exercise the Fleet Air Arm ‚Bagger‘ Sea King Mk7 ASaC (Airborne Surveillance & Control) hence the entertaining of FAA pilots and observers at Fairford.

Anyhow as everyone know our HAwk T.1 is 4 decades old and the rest ...used in the adversary / aggressor role with the RAF 100 Sqn at RAF Leemimg in Yorkshire and the 736 Naval Air Squadron at Culdrose (newer Hawk T2 is used as fast jet training at RAF Valley In Bangor in Wales) . Hence the Uk visit was two fold to Cranwell for raf personnel to look at the platform as a next gen adversary, while,the Culdrose visit was to see how Scorpionjet with its newly added FLIR E/O could work inmaritime surveillance ISTAR role complementing out AeW Sea King fleet. And the aggressor thing probably looked at by the FAA.

Also at the time the Ministry of Defence opened up the ASDOT competition to provide adversary and EW training basically replacing the RAF and Navy Hawks, the contracted out FR Aviation (Flight RefuelLing) Dassault Falcon 20 for Electronic Warfare and anti shipping simulation . There were all sorts of ventures set up between the big names , likes of Canadian Top Aces (formerly Discovery Air Defense) teamed up some companies here, then Draken International teamed up someone else. Somewhere along the lines Elbit Systems teamed up with Someone and Leoanrdo. Inzpire teamed up with Textron to promote the Scorpionjet.

By 2019 the MoD cancelled the competition and there was a lot of upset folk to say the least ..including enthusiasts and spotters! As they were hoping to see something exotic to operate from these shores such as. Top Aces A-4N Skyhawk or Inhpire/Textron Airland Scorpionjet.

Then in 2016, a wet Tuesday at Farnborough Airshow ..went to see the V-280 mock up at The Textron chalet and killed bit of time to see the Scorpionjet again up close and even got patches (my photos again)

885790F7-E606-49EF-8CEC-0B9B8E0684ED.jpeg D3A5F67B-9D46-4F96-A73F-A797182E4110.jpeg 950BF728-A038-416C-B0A2-BED577C04CD8.jpeg BEC49A84-414D-4470-B0F1-96045D75C4E4.jpeg

Come Paris Air Show 2017 heres my photo of it on static.

6B941ABE-A14C-45F9-BF2D-F1695B80BC66.jpeg

Cheers

Last edited:
Agreed, RavenOne, great stuff and thanks for sharing. Quick question...is there a typo with the dates on your narrative? The year jumps to 2019 in the second to last paragraph but then back to 2016 in the last one.

Agreed, RavenOne, great stuff and thanks for sharing. Quick question...is there a typo with the dates on your narrative? The year jumps to 2019 in the second to last paragraph but then back to 2016 in the last one.

Thanks clutton, I jumped to 2016 for my photo descriptions :) as in first Set of photos I put Up were from Paris 2015 then put up photos from Farnborough 2016 after talking about ASSOT.

cheers

Back
Top Bottom