What missile was this?

Orionblamblam

ACCESS: USAP
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Website
www.aerospaceprojectsreview.com
A Boeing display model from the late 1980s with some sort of airbreathing cruise missile. I'm guessing scramjet powered due to the sizable solid rocket booster.
Anybody know what it is?

Attachments

• Dscf0020.jpg
    Dscf0020.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 854
What is the plane that they're in? Those look like GD/Westinghouse AAMs next to the bigger missiles.

If those are AAM then the other missiles are pretty large. Back in the late 80's wouldn't only the B-1B have weapons bays like that?

My guess is either a smallish Lockheed AXE, or an ASALM concept. Either way, I'm pretty sure I've seen this before. I'm trying to figure out where the hell I've seen it.

Fuselage and wing root fairing is not consistent with any flavor of B-1.

When was the model described as "Boeing"? McD-D had an ASALM design, maybe this is theirs on a McD-D airframe concept before they got eaten by Boeing, leaving stuff like this to filter out and be called "Boeing" since that's the name it comes from now?

SOC said:
When was the model described as "Boeing"?

When I photographed it in the Boeing historical archive way back in 2001. The aircraft it's in is very definitely a Boeing design, but the missiles... who knows. They might be pure fantasy on the part of the Boeing model shop.

The 8 smaller missiles in the rear bay, are they the early version of GD's AIM-152 AAAM entry?

EDIT: The big missiles bear a resemblance to an AXE relative, the Lockheed HGV (Hypersonic Glide Vehicle), but that doesn't appear to have been airbreathing.

Actually, come to think of it, I've seen an artist's impression of something like this not too long ago as a US Navy related project. Can't remember more details at the moment though!

on the eight AAM, i have seed those design some were in this forum, could be the General Dynamics Pomona's design
index.php

index.php

source http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,2548.0.html

on the Mystery weapon system, it got solid rocket booster and Air intake.
Look susceptibly something like a super/hyper sonic cruise or AGM missile.

Last edited by a moderator:
Orionblamblam said:
A Boeing display model from the late 1980s with some sort of airbreathing cruise missile. I'm guessing scramjet powered due to the sizable solid rocket booster.
Anybody know what it is?

Pretty much exactly what you (should) think it is.
The powerplant evolved from earlier work on the low level run in to target concept. From "Lightning Bolts":
"To remain effective, LLRI would have to add terminal propulsion and increase stealth features, causing the cost per vehicle to increase sharply"
This was in reference to countering the SA-10. The vehicle in OBB's image is not a MARV in the classic sense - it's exactly what you would think it was - but this concept had terminal air breathing propulsion that evolved from earlier work on the powered LLRI concept.

The carrier aircraft should be interesting, mostly because it's NOT a B-52.

Michel Van said:
on the eight AAM, i have seed those design some were in this forum, could be the General Dynamics Pomona's design
index.php

index.php

source http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,2548.0.html

on the Mystery weapon system, it got solid rocket booster and Air intake.
Look susceptibly something like a super/hyper sonic cruise or AGM missile.

I always remember seeing photos of this AAM in books when I was younger saying that this was the proposed replacement for the AIM-54 Phoenix long range AAM. It certainly looks like the AAM that I saw all those years ago.