Imperial Russia's Curtiss H flying boats

Stargazer

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Cy-27 said:
The Russian magazine Weapons World (July 2006) has an article "Generated Euphoria" (ПОРОЖДЕННЫЕ ЭЙФОРИЕЙ) on Bartini's later designs (page 50-55) including F-57, A-57 and Project 30. Has colour renderings as well.

I also found some 3-view diagram. Is DLR a genuine Bartini design?

DLR - top side view with open cockpit

As for the would-be "Bartini DLR"... the three-view matches EXACTLY that of the Curtiss Model H America. Draw your own conclusions... Could Roberto Bartini have been at work in Imperial Russia circa 1914?? I don't think so either!!!

Attachments

• Curtiss H three-view.jpg
    Curtiss H three-view.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 376
  • ill-labeled 'Bartini DLR' Schematic.gif
    ill-labeled 'Bartini DLR' Schematic.gif
    66.9 KB · Views: 276
Hello!

DLR "Bartini-designed" flying boat is a mistake and drawing has been depicted Curtiss H-7 flying boat.
Two this boats has been ordered by Tsarist Government in 1915 - and arrived in Russia in 1916.

I attached the whole page from Gennadiy Petrov "Hydroplanes and WIGs in Russia, 1910-99"

So - definitely, not Bartini, not DLR. ;)

Attachments

• Petrov book  - Curtiss.jpg
    Petrov book - Curtiss.jpg
    362.2 KB · Views: 266
I'm afraid I will have to differ with this otherwise very good Russian publication...

The Model H type that is shown in the plan (the one with the enclosed cockpit) is NOT the H-7.

The H-7 was the little-known Super America, a type that has sadly been overlooked by most Curtiss books, and even U. S. Coast Guard history books despite the fact it was the very first aircraft to ever be evaluated by that service in 1916. It was an open cockpit design.

The enclosed cockpit variant is the earlier H-4 America, as designed and built by Curtiss and financed by Rodney Wanamaker, for the botched 1914 attempt at crossing the Atlantic. It was arguably the most advanced aircraft design of its time when it left the drawing board. A full-scale flying replica was built a couple of years ago and it is absolutely stunning.

The document that was falsely labeled as the "Bartini DLR" depicts two very similar profiles, one with the open cockpit and the other one with the enclosed one. Although I have never found a plan of the H-7 (I only have a couple of photos) I don't think it was just an H-4 without a cockpit... There were notable structural differences.

Without access to original company documents for the Russian variant (which I believe are long gone now), we can only speculate. However, having studied these types in much detail a few years ago for a unpublished project, and given the timeline, I would suggest that the Russian boats came after the H-4 and before the H-7. An "H-6" designation was quoted once as an undocumented variant. I'm NOT saying the open cockpit America could be this, but it certainly is a possibility.

The other possibility (more likely) is that Russia actually ordered the H-7 type and Petrov's book illustrated the article with the wrong images (both the photo and plan are H-4).

Some not-very-good scans from Windsock #125 showing:
  • A variant of the H-series for Denmark. This looks remarkably close to the aircraft depicted next to the H-4 in the Russian book.
  • The Curtiss H-7.

Attachments

• Danish H-Boat.jpg
    Danish H-Boat.jpg
    645.9 KB · Views: 176
  • H-7 pics.jpg
    H-7 pics.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 155
I found these postcards on ebay.com. The photos (now postcards) were taken at near Hammondsport on Keuka Lake.

Sorry, it is only slightly related. It was nice to find clear images.

Attachments

• RPPC Curtiss Keuka Lake 3.jpg
    RPPC Curtiss Keuka Lake 3.jpg
    318.9 KB · Views: 15
  • RPPC Curtiss Keuka Lake 2.jpg
    RPPC Curtiss Keuka Lake 2.jpg
    347.4 KB · Views: 15
  • RPPC Curtiss Keuka Lake 1.jpg
    RPPC Curtiss Keuka Lake 1.jpg
    276.2 KB · Views: 14
Winston said:
I found these postcards on ebay.com. The photos (now postcards) were taken at near Hammondsport on Keuka Lake.

Interesting photos of the Curtiss H-1 America. The first photo shows Curtiss mechanic & aviator George E.A. Hallett aboard the aircraft. The SDASM has his collection of papers and photos. Here are his photos:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/sdasmarchives/albums/72157629760583962
He's also featured in photos of the aircraft's christening (as he was to be Porte's co-pilot for the Great War-aborted transatlantic flight) with the US National Archives. Follow this link for the photo below at the National Archives' Flickr photostream. A number of photos of the America, Curtiss, Porte and Hallett are linked there in the comments accompanying the photo:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/library_of_congress/5621411663/
5621411663_325ef99917_z.jpg

Also, there is British Pathe newsreel footage of the event posted at YouTube:
"Launching of 'America'"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjq-qvOCaYk

Winston said:

Don't be sorry, these are splendid photos of the very first Curtiss H, the "America", the construction of which was sponsored by Rodney Wanamaker, a famous businessman who hoped for it to win the Daily Mail's contest for the first transatlantic flight—not so much for the prize money, obviously, but for the huge publicity it would have given his department stores.

This single aircraft is one of the true milestones of American aviation. It was the ancestor to most flying boats to come on both sides of the Atlantic for the next 10 years, no less! And given a few more months (and better engines), it might even have been the first transatlantic aircraft ever!
A superb replica has been built and flown by a team of enthusiasts (see attachments).

The Curtiss America is also very important aircraft in my personal pantheon. It is the aircraft that made me want to research and write articles back in 1992! As a matter of fact, and much to my surprise, Le Fana de l'Aviation (France's leading aviation magazine) was willing to publish it, but they wanted to cut it down to a mere two- or three-pager while I envisaged a two- or three-PARTER!! If only other magazines such as the later Avions had existed back then, I could have knocked on their door and perhaps been published, because they favored that kind of article... I would now be a regular writer, who knows?! Instead I joined a musical group and toured for the next few years, then married and had kids... and one day you wake up and realize that 20 years have passed!!! :-(

Attachments

• america_flying_ralph_guasp2.jpg
    america_flying_ralph_guasp2.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 3468101219_42a77dcf05.jpg
    3468101219_42a77dcf05.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 13
  • America%20color.jpg
    America%20color.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 12
  • america_water_test_sm.jpg
    america_water_test_sm.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 11
Excellent. Got any bigger images?
<edit> found some stuff myself:
Replica images http://www.seawings.co.uk/curtissamaericagal.htm
Replica story http://www.airspacemag.com/history-of-flight/america-the-cruisable-25031019/?no-ist