Author Topic: Interesting gun mount at the NMM  (Read 1846 times)

Offline JFC Fuller

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Interesting gun mount at the NMM
« on: May 06, 2013, 03:49:26 am »
Browsing the NMM ships models collection looking for something else today i stumbled across this:

http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/68917.html

It certainly looks post-war and fast firing. The glazed section beside the gun is reminiscent of sextuple bofors mounting, the 3" Mk 6 and of course Green Mace. The overall footprint of this mounting is reminiscent of the 4" guns supplied by Vickers for the Chilean Almirante class. The NMM gives the following description:

A working model of a gun turret made in wood, painted a uniform grey, with metal working parts and plastic fittings. The rear section of the turret, is a half-hexagon in shape and can be removed to show the elevating mechanism. The turret is an elongated hexagon shape in plan view, the underside of which has an integral shallow wooden turntable with a rounded metal pivoting pin at its centre. The gun barrel and housing is made of wood and can be elevated to almost 90 degrees. On the right-hand side of the barrel is an enclosed cockpit, glazed on three sides with a pitched glazed roof canopy. The gun is linked to the elevating mechanism by two chains worked over a drum.

I would add that the gun appears to have a dual feeding mechanism which reminds me of Green Mace though there are no signs of water cooling (that I can see) on what is a detailed model. Does anybody have any thoughts or know more?

Offline Tony Williams

• CLEARANCE: Secret
    • Cannon, machine guns and ammunition
Re: Interesting gun mount at the NMM
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 05:03:27 am »
Interesting. Not seen anything like that before.
Military gun and ammunition website: http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk/

Offline Abraham Gubler

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 02:52:39 pm »
 The single recuperator over the barrel looks like the 3.7 AA gun. Also the two feed systems appear to be dropping rounds onto a Ratefixer style tray on either side of the breech. Perhaps a naval mount for the 3.7?
"There is a tendency in our planning to confuse the unfamiliar with the improbable." Thomas Schelling

Offline smurf

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 06:52:48 am »
The central part of this mounting that pivots vertically (roughly wedge-shaped plus the barrel) looks rather like the drawings of Zenith and Marquardt versions of DACR at 34 or 40mm.  These usually show things like calculated recoil forces, but it is never clear on those I have seen how the gun would be mounted on a ship. This might be the answer.  The whole turret is not unlike the 57mm twin DACR.  Still can't get at my photos though.

Offline Petrus

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 12:34:57 pm »
Still can't get at my photos though.

Hopefully your computer will be running again.

P.

Offline Tony Williams

• Cannon, machine guns and ammunition
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 05:13:24 pm »
The central part of this mounting that pivots vertically (roughly wedge-shaped plus the barrel) looks rather like the drawings of Zenith and Marquardt versions of DACR at 34 or 40mm

I'd be grateful for any information you have about these.

Military gun and ammunition website: http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk/