How on earth can buying a super expensive superbowl ad space be justified with what tiny bit of brand recognition one can expect to very few key people that even care about NG products? That million dollars would've been much more effective just being put into a hand of a lobbyist on the Capitol Hill.

Building aircraft the likes have which the world has never seen, that's Northrop Grumman.....

Evolving the flying wing, that's Northrop Grumman..... This is not a dig on Northrup, but 99% of the Superbowl viewers are going to think all four designs look the same....

If that is their LRS-B model it appears to be shaped somewhat differently than the B-2 though still seemingly a flying wing.

If they are putting it in ad then perhaps they still have some hope of winning, after all why flog something if it has lost already & is never going to see the light of day. I'm assuming we'll only ever see the winner.

totoro said:
How on earth can buying a super expensive superbowl ad space be justified with what tiny bit of brand recognition one can expect to very few key people that even care about NG products? That million dollars would've been much more effective just being put into a hand of a lobbyist on the Capitol Hill.

The ad isn't for people on capital hill, but potential shareholder in their stock. That includes millions of ordinary people like you and I.

Maybe the vehicle under the tarp is one of those planes that was flying over Texas? ;)

sferrin said:
Agreed. Sounds more like wishful thinking. And let's not forget UCLASS is still in the works. That in itself could be a fairly large program for the winner. (Once the USN starts using them you can be sure other services/countries will be eyeing them.)

Yep. Aboulafia's analysis is far too pessimistic and not well thought out. But what do you expect from an AvWeek pay-to-play op-ed?

skyblue said:
totoro said:

The ad isn't for people on capital hill, but potential shareholder in their stock. That includes millions of ordinary people like you and I.

Are they showing the ad in all markets?

Well at least one aviation blogger has noticed that NG ad & brings us a hill of speculation to go with it.

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/this-chilling-ad-reveals-the-lines-of-a-secret-stealth-1682674537

Next Gen bomber is supposed to be several systems. If there is a manned component AND an unmanned component, then in fact Boeing, Lockheed, and Northrop could have all "won" the contract....

sublight is back said:
Next Gen bomber is supposed to be several systems. If there is a manned component AND an unmanned component, then in fact Boeing, Lockheed, and Northrop could have all "won" the contract....

Well they have never really replaced the F-111. I assume that part of that idea about multiple platforms was talking about the existing craft such as the B-52, B-1B & B-2 being integrated into.

sublight is back said:

Many times they mention "wait LSR-B is a 'family of systems'" including weapons.

My bet is that what is under the drape is based on a 2008 configuration created by two SP forum members, which NG handed to their ad creatives and said "make it look like that".

Because then even if by some chance the shape looked like something it shouldn't, NG is clean.

Flyaway said:
sublight is back said:

Well they have never really replaced the F-111. I assume that part of that idea about multiple platforms was talking about the existing craft such as the B-52, B-1B & B-2 being integrated into.

Well the F-15E, the kinda F-111 replacement, will need a replacement in the early LRS-B timeframe as well.

LowObservable said:
My bet is that what is under the drape is based on a 2008 configuration created by two SP forum members, which NG handed to their ad creatives and said "make it look like that".

Because then even if by some chance the shape looked like something it shouldn't, NG is clean.

Why on earth would it bother doing something like that, it's not like you can tell anything that much from the advert, or anything much more than anyone half familiar with the company might guesstimate.

marauder2048 said:
Well the F-15E, the kinda F-111 replacement, will need a replacement in the early LRS-B timeframe as well.

Well just idle speculation that NG & LM/B have been building different platforms for different purposes within the program.

Most likely the PR department at Northrop hand the CGI artist a picture of one of their x-47 based bomber model that they often carried around at conventions a few years ago. I doubt the PR guys had anymore clearance on this project than the rest of the world.

Either way they paid $4.5 million for the ad.

http://defensetech.org/2015/01/30/northrop-runs-super-bowl-ad-for-next-generation-bomber-program/

This was on NG Twitter since November.

Attachments

• IMG_20150131_061404.jpg
    IMG_20150131_061404.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 616
  • IMG_20150131_061455-1.jpg
    IMG_20150131_061455-1.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 843
It looks like one of the flying subs they used to have in Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea.

Guess we will find out the accuracy of their teasers, but looks like cranked wing here too... ;)

Attachments

• d_img6.jpg
    d_img6.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 417
Just why NG spent big bucks on a Super Bowl ad and what they learnt from Apple when it comes to advertising. Though I wouldn't agree with all the contents of this article it does make some good points, especially the part where it notes the geographical targeting of the ad as to where it was shown.

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/why-northrop-grumman-ran-a-super-bowl-ad-for-a-stealth-1683062602

I wonder when Lockheed Martin are going to start running their PR campaign for their version if this is going to turn into a political fight.

On anther topic you can find the budget allocation for the program ramping up in the Air Force Fiscal 2016 Budget Overview.

http://www.airforcemag.com/DRArchive/Documents/2015/February%202015/Air%20Force%20Fiscal%202016%20Budget%20Overview.pdf

Further details on the budget increasing for the program.

http://www.defensenews.com/story/defense/policy-budget/budget/2015/02/02/bomber-leads-way-on-usaf-rdte-request/22749943/

Flyaway said:
I wonder when Lockheed Martin are going to start running their PR campaign for their version if this is going to turn into a political fight.

LM doesn't have a design for this program, though they are contributing. Boeing is the leader on the Boeing/LM Team.

http://www.acronymfinder.com/Outer-Mold-Line-(OML).html

Sundog said:
LM doesn't have a design for this program, though they are contributing. Boeing is the leader on the Boeing/LM Team.
Last means nothing in terms of design choice. You can compare, BTW, Boeing/LM '2018 Bomber' renders to LMSW P-175 Polecat, for example.

Interesting $77M is interesting.

There's a line on page 32, under the Military Construction budget:

Worldwide Classified Classified Location Long Range Strike Bomber 77,130

sublight is back said:
And by worldwide, we mean Nevada.

No. It's in CONUS, but it is not Nevada, and it's not buildings.

TomS said:
There's a line on page 32, under the Military Construction budget:

Worldwide Classified Classified Location Long Range Strike Bomber 77,130

Thanks!

flateric said:
Sundog said:
Last means nothing in terms of design choice. You can compare, BTW, Boeing/LM '2018 Bomber' renders to LMSW P-175 Polecat, for example.

Not to move to far off 'reality' but do the experts here at SPF have any new speculation on the 'macro' qualities of LRS-B as we move closer to contract award? Are we basically just looking at a new flying wing with better stealth and electronics and maybe better/faster strike weapons in the 'family of systems? Defensive DEW for example?

Most likely, in my eyes, the first several aircraft will be manned for flight test evaluations and the production aircraft will be unmanned. Time will tell. -SP

Screenshot_2015_02_03_11_11_09.png