Nennig C-3

avion ancien

The accidental peasant!
Reaction score
The Nennig C-3 was built for the 1935 Coupe Deutsch de la Meurthe but was not ready in time and thus was scratched from the race. The photograph below is the only one I've ever seen of what, in my opinion, was an elegant machine and a quintessentially French racing monoplane design of the mid 1930s. I don't know the original source of the photograph but it and the 'three view' drawing below appear in a post on the pprune forum (q.v. http://www.pprune.org/aviation-history-nostalgia/332082-silhouette-challenge-341.html), where also is given the following technical detail:

Nennig C3
Moteur Régnier R161-01, 6 cyl
en ligne inversé, refroidi par air, compresseur, env.
Initialement prévu pour un moteur Salmson, 12 cyl.
en V inversé, refroidi par air, dérivé du 12 Vars.
Un seul construit, presque terminé.

which is said to have been sourced from 'a French forum' (which I have been unable to find). Also mentioned there is:

Nennig C3
One built, almost finished
Registered with the No.4 by his driver Guy Bart
Bonnet not ready in time

and finally it is said there that the Nennig C-3 actually is a Régnier Martinet engined Caudron C.366. Apparently there is a piece on it by Serge Pozzoli in le Fana de l'Aviation of February 1974 (if anyone has copies going back that far). Whether, after failing to be ready in time for the 1935 Coupe Deutsch de la Meurthe, the Nennig C-3 subsequently was completed and flown, I do not know. Thus I am viewing it as an incomplete and unachieved project - unless others know otherwise!

Attachments

• nennig C-3.jpg
    nennig C-3.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 272
  • nennig C-3 three view.jpg
    nennig C-3 three view.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 274
Nice aircraft Avions,

there is many unknown and unbuilt racer aircraft.

Bonjour "Avion ancien"
YES? I see "le Fana"
The article is for "les Nennig C3 and C5
bYE

HERE, THE BEGINNING

Attachments

• ne 5.jpg
    ne 5.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 100
  • ne 4.jpg
    ne 4.jpg
    622.2 KB · Views: 89
  • ne3.jpg
    ne3.jpg
    332.4 KB · Views: 180
  • ne 2.jpg
    ne 2.jpg
    442.7 KB · Views: 192
  • NENNING.jpg
    NENNING.jpg
    818.8 KB · Views: 227
So it looks like the original Salmson engine (the Salmson 12 C W-12?) was a failure, eventually leading to a Moteur Régnier 6 cylinder engine being installed.

the end

Attachments

• ne1.jpg
    ne1.jpg
    456.3 KB · Views: 102
  • ne2.jpg
    ne2.jpg
    347.2 KB · Views: 114
  • ne3.jpg
    ne3.jpg
    793.3 KB · Views: 111
Merci, toura. L'article est merveilleux!

Grey Havoc, my understanding from the article is that the Salmson was unavailable and therefore the Régnier was installed in the C-3.