Concours de la Securite en Aeroplanes (pre-WWI 'safe' aircraft competitions)

Avimimus

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
This sounds like a fascinating series of competitions (with more than fifty registrants and twenty flying prototypes in some years).

I'm quite curious to no more about it. I've found references (and photos) of a few individual contenders - but trying to figure out what the designers were thinking is quite confusing in some cases.

Does anyone have more comprehensive information on the competitors?

Bonamy aeroplane
62-3.jpg

An overly literal interpretation of "Ferber's theory of the three Vs on aircraft stability: the 1st V was positive dihedral; the 2d V was sweepback on the mainplanes; the third V was positive incidence on the mainplane, negative incidence on the tailplane." One wing for each "V"...

REP Vision Totale Parasol
216-2.jpg

712-4.jpg

Hanriot Concours de Securite
150-3.jpg

Detable et Tabary design (with automatic stabilisers)
108-1.jpg

De Monge modified Deperdussin
712-2.jpg

Sallard biplane (throttle used as backup for elevator failure, with natural stability)
222-3.jpg

Watson No.3 with rocking wing control surface:
712-3.jpg

510-2.jpg

"My machine is almost 'fool-proof,' for, as has been shown, only one single movement must be made to preserve lateral equilibrium and to steer. This consists of a transverse movement of the lever. The elevator is controlled by a fore and aft movement of the same lever. The pilot, by rocking the upper plane, gradually rocks the main plane until the circular flight is being made as quickly as he desires, and the turn then takes place without requiring any other attention on the part of the pilot. In fact, this apparatus possesses the advantages of the bird's flight and requires little power on the part of the pilot. The equilibrium is natural compared to the forced equilibrium of the warping wing machine."

Moreau monoplane
187-3.jpg

1331-1.jpg

"He was inspired by de Perthuis' theory of pendulum stability when he built his first powered machine in 1909. It was a monoplane, with a steel tube fuselage; the wing rested on the open - frame fuselage, and a large triangular tail surface give the plan view the appearance of a pigeon. Within the fuselage frame the pilot and passenger seat, side by side, encased in an aluminum car, was suspended from a fore-and-aft pivot. The aeroplane could fly normally with the car locked; when it was free to swing, the elevators were engaged and moved automatically to counter the swing."

hi,
it's a fascinating sujects !
L'Union pour la Sécurité des Aeroplanes submit end 1912 a specification during salon de Paris 1912.
A vast number of contenders tried to answer during 1913 and 1914.
During 1914 competition at Buc 56 entries and 21 competitors.
Since ten years I search the list of contenders but nothing on internet.
I can add to your list some others: Badaire,Paul Schmitt ,De Beer, De Monge,Constantin d'Astagniéres ,Arnoux Stablavion...
Best Regards.

It is good to have the leads and see someone else is interested.
Was the challenge issued in 1912 and the competition finished in 1914? Or were they annual competitions? How many in total?
Thanks!

Some more of the contenders:
Balassian de Manawas
35-1.jpg

"Thinking to improve the stability of his machine, especially in the case of engine failure, he arranged the wings of his "avion planeur" to be attached to the fuselage with springs so as to vary the position of the center of lift: the wings could move fore and aft automatically or under pilot control - as he claimed it occurred with gliding birds. The fuselage consisted only of 2 spars with a fabric seat slung between them; the large tank mounted on the same spars behind the motor provided little protection against the wind, but completely blocked forward vision."

Badaire monoplane
34-2.jpg

With a canard in addition to the tail (can anyone make out if there are elevators?)

Schmitt Type 7
61-2.jpg

Schmitt_7B-1.jpg

An early alternative to flaps - variable incidence wings.

Well I have found this site, https://aeroplanebonamy.blogspot.com/2009/, which has a few more pictures of the Bonamy aeroplane at the start of this subject matter. This site was started by Ernest Lucien Bonamy's grandchildren, as apparently their father had never really known his father, as he had disappeared in 1940, never to be seen again by any of the family. It also alludes to the fact that Bonamy may have received inspiration in his design from nature, in the form of the dragonfly.
airplane2.jpg airplane3.jpg Libellule-airplane.jpg

As far as the REP Vision Totale Parasol is concerned, this ended up in series production (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/REP_Parasol). Although not taken up by the French military, some twelve examples were operated by the RNAS. It was available in single and two seat variants. Here's one of the RNAS examples.
REP_Parasol_in_RNAS.jpg

In regards to the variable incidence wing, some sources I have looked at, state that the Type 7 was one of the few Schmitt designs that did not feature this type of mechanism. I enclose a picture of the Type 11, which did use the variable incidence wing. The single example of the Type 11 was a variant of the Type 10, fitted with floats. Following evaluation by the French authorities, it was passed on to the US Navy, who following trials of their own used the airframe for instructional purposes at Pensacola. Pic courtesy of SDSAM. If you look at the centre section, you can clearly see the two wheels which are part of the variable incidence mechanism.
Type 11 pic 1.jpg

My next attempt was to find out a bit more about the Badaire Monoplane. Although it was built in 1913, this was actually entered into the Concours de la Securite en Aeroplanes competition in 1914. Also entering that year was the Balassian de Manawas aircraft listed above, which was built in 1914. Source for both is L.Opdyke's book French Aeroplanes Before the Great War, published by Schiffer

In regards to the Moreau, as mentioned the entry for the 1914 was the latest in a line stretching back to 1909. The first picture shows the 1913 example as it was undergoing stability tests during that same year, according to Flight, so at least here is one non 1914 competitor. The large picture shows the Moreau Aerostable at the Paris Salon on the Emaillite stand. Emaillite was a cellulose dope, and presumably this was advertising their product. Apparently a placard by the aircraft read Appareil Invisible. (Stealth in the 1910s!). This picture, taken from Flight, shows how the see through surface enables you to see the man behind the wing as easily as the one in front. My other picture taken from the same issue of Flight, shows a different angle on the Aerstable as it underwent the stability tests in 1913.
72-1.jpg 712-5.jpg

Again, thanks to L.Opdyke's book French Aeroplanes Before the Great War, published by Schiffer, I find that the Sallard was also part of the 1914 Concours de la Securite en Aeroplanes competition. I attach four more pictures of the Sallard aircraft.
432.jpg 432-1.jpg 432-2.jpg 432-3.jpg

Now in regards to the Watson No.3 then I came across this site, https://warbirdswalkaround.wixsite.com/rockingwings/watson-s-no-3#! which has a stack of information about the aircraft. This site also give a run down of the whole competition for 1914. Attached is a pic of four of the contenders taken from Flight, including the Watson No.3, and another pic showing the No.3 in the air. Finally a pic of the original 1909 patent for the rocking wing control surface.
Watson No.3 in the air.jpg Watson patent.jpg

Four of the contenders.jpg

Now in regards to the Watson No.3 then I came across this site, https://warbirdswalkaround.wixsite.com/rockingwings/watson-s-no-3#! which has a stack of information about the aircraft. This site also give a run down of the whole competition for 1914. Attached is a pic of four of the contenders taken from Flight, including the Watson No.3, and another pic showing the No.3 in the air. Finally a pic of the original 1909 patent for the rocking wing control surface.

Why thank you. I've been researching Preston Watson for awhile now, but need to spend more time updating the site. On the following link you will find my brief take on the competition:

In regards to the variable incidence wing, some sources I have looked at, state that the Type 7 was one of the few Schmitt designs that did not feature this type of mechanism. I enclose a picture of the Type 11, which did use the variable incidence wing. The single example of the Type 11 was a variant of the Type 10, fitted with floats. Following evaluation by the French authorities, it was passed on to the US Navy, who following trials of their own used the airframe for instructional purposes at Pensacola. Pic courtesy of SDSAM. If you look at the centre section, you can clearly see the two wheels which are part of the variable incidence mechanism.
View attachment 631279

Attachments

• PaulSchmtt.jpg
    PaulSchmtt.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 8
  • Paul Schmitt aircraft at NAS Pensacola 17 November 1917.jpg
    Paul Schmitt aircraft at NAS Pensacola 17 November 1917.jpg
    470.8 KB · Views: 8