Potez 63 STOL proposal

But according to my records the Potez 63 is three seat reconnaissance aircraft. The first prototype was known as 63.01 and flew on 25 April 1936. It had 2 Hispano Suiza 14Hbs engines. After a crash it was rebuilt as 630.01. The prototype of the 63.11 first flew on 31 December 1938 and over 850 were built. Some of these were used by the Luftwaffe, Italian Air Force and the Rumanian air force.

Jos, I don't think hesham disputes what the Potez 63 was, it is a pretty well-known type... His picture shows a proposed derivative, a "VTOL" version (whether it was actually drafted by Potez remains to be seen).

As J.C.Carbonel wrote on the linked site (I'm always hoping for news there ;) ), it was
a proposal mabe by Monsieur Pivko from the Aerodynamic Institue Saint-Cyr, aimed to my
opinion not actually to achieve true VTOL, but a kind of ultra-STOL performance. Don't know,
who the designer there was, nor if it just was a theoretical proposition, with the Potez 63 used just
as an example fora high performance twin-engined aircraft to illustrate the idea.
Quite probably it won't show up in any document drafted by Potez, but maybe there's more in the
archive of that institute ?

The "Institut Aérodynamique de Saint-Cyr" is the "Institut Aérotechnique du CNAM de Saint-Cyr" today ?
With regards to what I've found via Google, it seems still to be active . They probably have an archive ?
Maybe accessible for private persons ? ;)

Looking through the article written by the Yugoslavian engineer, Svetopolk Pivko, I would agree on the hypothesis of an ultra STOL project. Here's a translation of the last part of the article, which may sum up what it was all about.
'In U.S based on the results of our experiences, we established the preliminary project of a twin-engine airplane (weight 1460kg., power2X300 =600 CV .; diameter of the propellers 2,62m.). The calculation of performance shows that this device test could rise on site and rise vertically at full throttle, with a speed of the order of 2 m / s. Its speed of cruise during the horizontal flight would of the order of 300 km.-h. and more. Another tester (weight 2,300 kg., power 2X450 = 900 CV., diameter of the propellers 3.18 m.), could also fly vertically with a speed of 0.9 m / s. We are convinced that the experiments that we have carried out will also open the way to new research, with the aim of obtaining a greater security through the realization quasi-vertical takeoffs and landings and possibly the possibility of very low speed flights.'