Boeing 949

Re: Boeing Super Raven

Might be a little loud in the seats under the tail back there. Cool design though.

"An absurdly fun exercise in absurdity"

You got that right! Man can you imagine trying to board that thing? It would take hours, especially the way people board in this country.

This would-be "Boeing 949 Super Raven" may not be a real Boeing project, but it's very well thought out, designed and animated.

CliffyB said:
Man can you imagine trying to board that thing? It would take hours, especially the way people board in this country.
And yet I'm sure that if an airline ever got bold enough to order such an aircraft, there would be passengers amassing at the airport terminals just to get their first-hand experience of flying that thingie! When the A380 appeared, many said that passengers might shy away from a huge double-decker transport, but it works and works well from a commercial viewpoint.

What makes such a project unrealistic in this age is the total inability of any airport to accomodate such a behemoth. Special hangars, special runways, special airports even, would have to be created. And knowing the conservative trend of the airline market I don't think we're anywhere near the "Super Raven" age... Nor that of the huge (and real) Boeing project of the BWB airliner... :-\

Stargazer2006 said:
...very well thought out...
Featuring Quad Supermagneto Thrusters. With Upsidaisium TM lining, no doubt.

Stargazer2006 said:
What makes such a project unrealistic in this age is the total inability of any airport to accomodate such a behemoth.

But we are speaking of the year 2089 ! You should know, that, due to enviromental constraints, there will be just one
international airport on every continent any more, except Antarctica.
And I can imagine, that just this aircraft, will be the first to land on the then finished airport BER Berlin/Brandenburg.
The timescale looks right for both ..... B)

Arjen said:
Stargazer2006 said:
...very well thought out...
Featuring Quad Supermagneto Thrusters. With Upsidaisium TM lining, no doubt.

I was speaking more in terms of general layout and window arrangement.

The problem with large airliner projects such as the BWB is that the only place you can have windows is the wing's leading edge, and this is not a desirable feature from a commercial viewpoint because it would scare many travellers.

The Super Raven, on the contrary, is huge but is not too wide. It features three decks and has windows spread out all around the sides and front, which provides side view as in any normal airliner but also a more daring outlook in the forward sections.

True, it looks more like the commercial variant of some Star Trek ship, but apart from the crazy propulsion that was thought up for it of course, it doesn't look too unreasonable to me in terms of design... at least something remotely possible in some remote future...

Sorry, couldn't resist after reading about Super Magneto Plasma Thrusters ;)
Stargazer2006 said:
I was speaking more in terms of general layout and window arrangement.
The problem with large airliner projects such as the BWB is that the only place you can have windows is the wing's leading edge, and this is not a desirable feature from a commercial viewpoint because it would scare many travellers.
I'm not sure this design is going to help on that point.
1310 passengers on three decks, many of them deep inside the BWB. Many of these would not be able to see a window, unless much of the internal structure is transparent.
Aerodynamics... I'm no expert :-\
Does it look good, then? YMMV.

For such a design it probably would be reasonable to give up passenger windows at all. Only a small
percentage could get a seat near a window, so why not substitute them by an outside view shown on
the display at your seat ? It's just a matter of marketing !

Yes, but - North American airlines charge extra for a seat beside a window. They would have to find another excuse. ;)

Or an even higher price for a window seat ! :mad:

Thanks for the clue, topics merged.