CL-1253-3 inboard profile.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 541
  • CL-1253-4.JPG
    CL-1253-4.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 532
  • LockheedCl-1253.png
    LockheedCl-1253.png
    237.5 KB · Views: 165
The Silent Tactical Attack and Reconnaissance System (STARS) is new to me and very, very interesting. Date marked 1970 it looks like a culmination of Operation SHED LIGHT experience (TROPIC MOON, PAVE GAT, BLACK SPOT, etc). FLIR, high res radar, 20 x laser guided 150 lbs bombs, 25mm gun in trainable turret (liquid propellant!). This is a whole new chapter on the VietNam War and the birth of airborne precision weaponry and ISR. Certainly this kind of capability would not be unwanted today!

Abraham Gubler said:
Looks like a lot of S-3 Viking DNA in there.

No doubting that but the last one looks a lot like a mini A-3 to me.

Thanks for sharing!

Abraham Gubler said:
The Silent Tactical Attack and Reconnaissance System (STARS) is new to me and very, very interesting. Date marked 1970 it looks like a culmination of Operation SHED LIGHT experience (TROPIC MOON, PAVE GAT, BLACK SPOT, etc). FLIR, high res radar, 20 x laser guided 150 lbs bombs, 25mm gun in trainable turret (liquid propellant!). This is a whole new chapter on the VietNam War and the birth of airborne precision weaponry and ISR. Certainly this kind of capability would not be unwanted today!

Agree Abraham Gubler + good pick-up re weapons capability and reflection on Operation SHED LIGHT experience (TROPIC MOON, PAVE GAT, BLACK SPOT, etc)!!

I find it interesting that the Navy was looking at a U-2 - like capability the STARS type system! That long wingspan looks very practical!

Regards
Pioneer

Pioneer said:
I find it interesting that the Navy was looking at a U-2 - like capability the STARS type system! That long wingspan looks very practical!

I don’t think the wide span version was for anything like U-2 capability. The large wings are to produce lots of lift at low altitude so the engines can be powered back for low noise. All of the sensors and weapons are customised for use at low (<10,000 feet) altitude and the engines (probably Lycoming ALF502s) unlikely to work well above 50,000 feet.