Arado Ar 430

baja

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
Hi folks!
I found this "RLM Flugzeugtypenblatt" of the Arado Ar 430. But i don't know about this airplaine. It is just a unbuilt project? Do You know something about this Arado?

Thanks!
greets baja

Attachments

• Ar_ar430_a.jpg
    Ar_ar430_a.jpg
    615.7 KB · Views: 952
E 233 project started in 1940, Ar 430 designation by RLM.
Two crew, six to eight passengers.
All metal construction amphibian.
Retractable wheel landing gear and floats
Span 23.79 m
Length 20.92 m
All-up weight 9434 kg
Initially proposed power plant 2 x Bramo 323 R2, 1000 hp each
Maximum speed 313 km/h
Electrical de-icing gear for wing leading edges.
Air conditioning for deployment to Mediterranean

Design of wings and tail started in january 1941. Spray testing of a scale model conducted at DVL's Institut für Seeflugswesen, Hamburg. In 1943 the design was handed over to the French Dewoitine firm for further development. In April that year, another French firm, SIPA, delivered tails and wing flaps.

First prototype was to be fitted with 700 hp Gnome-Rhône 14M engines. In mid 1944, shortly before completion, the project was cancelled because of the Normandy landings.

Source: 'Die Deutschen Luftfahrt - Arado Flugzeuge - Vom Doppeldecker zum Strahlflugzeug' by Jörg Armin Kranzhoff, Bernard & Graefe Verlag, 2001

Am I seeing this drawing right? The floats appear to retract into the rear of the nacelles. Neat arrangement. Wheeled undercarriage too.

From F.Gütschow "Die deutschen Flugboote" a drawing of the same aircraft, which was
planned as a pure flying noat version, too. BTW, the designation is given here as
"Ar 233", and "E 430", the latter one the project number, I think.
The auxiliary floats are recognisable, too.

Attachments

• Ar-233_E-430.jpg
    Ar-233_E-430.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 822
Thanks!

It is a really interesting project ... but like all civil projects at this time with no chance to built.

In Novarra "Die Deutsche Luftrüstung 1933 - 1945" the story of the designation is told different again:
Duringn 1940, it was started as "Arado Entwicklungsbezeichnung Ar 233", what would explain an E 233"
designation. After it was ordered for construction, the designation was changed to "Ar 430" and work
on the first prototype actually begun, but it would have been powered by two Gnôme-Rhône 14M engines,
instead of the BMW Bramo 323, which were originally envisaged. Finishing this prototype was prevented
due to the military situation in 1944.
In "Die deutschen Flugboote" it is mentioned, that a mock-up was built by dewoitine, but that the prototype
wasn't finished.
So maybe work was actually started.

Thats awesome! Nice .... didn't imagine that they build a prototype or mock up.

Thanks!

newsdeskdan said:
The mock-up was probably made by Arado Dewoitine, rather than Dewoitine Arado. In the photo of the mock-up radio operator's station that all the controls are labelled in both German and French.

Ar%20233.jpg

WTF? The front wheel!
Is this a steerable propeller for manoeuvering when floating on water!?

lastdingo said:
newsdeskdan said:
The mock-up was probably made by Arado Dewoitine, rather than Dewoitine Arado. In the photo of the mock-up radio operator's station that all the controls are labelled in both German and French.

Ar%20233.jpg

WTF? The front wheel!
Is this a steerable propeller for manoeuvering when floating on water!?

It's a wooden mockup

Rather than putting an actual wheel on it, they make a wood/metal frame outline of a wheel

Well, not that amazing. It's just a summary of my piece on the Ar 233 in Luftwaffe: Secret Designs of the Third Reich (2018). All the images come from that article.
Ok, this i didn't know.
Thanks!

It's rather odd to see images I scanned from the original document posted up online by someone I've never heard of - but I'm grateful to have been credited throughout. It's also nice that they went to the trouble of getting new profile artwork done!

On post #14, mind the third image. It's a wind tunnel model showing a twin finned version of the Ar233.