North American Aviation XB-21 Dragon

Johnbr

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Here is another new one for m
Now the XB-21 was designed to a somewhat vague U.S. Army Air Force requirement that sought an increase in payload and range over the existing Martin B-10. This cutaway addressed that payload capacity, but, instead of showing its bomb capacity, the drawing shows it loaded with supply boxes and twelve airmen. Its normal crew complement was eight, and you have to wonder why even eight were needed on a medium bomber. Only one of these rotund bombers was built as it was slower than the airplane it was designed to replace. However, NAA learned from it and the following private venture NA-40 how to build the much more successful B-25.

Attachments

• naaxb21dragontharratt.jpg
    naaxb21dragontharratt.jpg
    419.8 KB · Views: 1,094
Photos of the XB-21. They include both the NA-21 and the modified NA-39:

Attachments

• NA-21 (ML 78).gif
    NA-21 (ML 78).gif
    1.1 MB · Views: 162
  • NA-39.jpg
    NA-39.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 114
  • North American XB-21 006.jpg
    North American XB-21 006.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 104
  • North American XB-21 005.jpg
    North American XB-21 005.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 103
  • North American XB-21 004.jpg
    North American XB-21 004.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 841
  • North American XB-21 003.jpg
    North American XB-21 003.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 878
  • North American XB-21 002.jpg
    North American XB-21 002.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 891
  • North American XB-21 001.jpg
    North American XB-21 001.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 909
One example of the XB‑21 bomber was procured in March 1937 with serial 38‑485. It had flown for the first time on 21 December 1936 as a company owned aircraft. Eventually the aircraft was redesignated as ZXB-21. A proposed order for five YB‑21s never materialised.

Anybody now who the test pilot was that first flew it? -SP

From 'North American Aircraft 1934-1998 Volume 1' by Norm Avery, Narkiewicz//Thompson, 1998:
The NA-21 was completed in December 1936 and first flown at Mines Field on the 22nd by D.W. "Tommy" Tomlinson, a test pilot with high-altitude experience on loan from Transcontinental and Western Air.

The picture in the first post. Is that a transport variant? There seems to be a lot of "baggage", lots of people and I'd swear that the guys in the nose 'bomb aimer/nav' position are sat around a table eating a meal?

Regarding the first picture, I immediately thought of two things: it was roomy enough to be considered dual role (bomber-transport) capable, or alternatively it had significant self-deployment capability (transporting some of its spares, support equipment and ground crew).

Arjen said:
From 'North American Aircraft 1934-1998 Volume 1' by Norm Avery, Narkiewicz//Thompson, 1998:
The NA-21 was completed in December 1936 and first flown at Mines Field on the 22nd by D.W. "Tommy" Tomlinson, a test pilot with high-altitude experience on loan from Transcontinental and Western Air.
Thanks, Arjen! -SP

Another name was given to me quite some time ago - Alexander T. "Alex" Burton - as XB-21 test pilot (it could be that he was co-pilot). I believe Avery's book but I'm still searching for the definitive answer. -SP

From Norm Avery's book:

Attachments

• XB-21 personnel 2.JPG
    XB-21 personnel 2.JPG
    127 KB · Views: 132
That's proof enough for me - thanks! BTW: It's Daniel Webb "Tommy" Tomlinson IV. -SP

So anyone know what the 6th, 7th, and 8th man were supposed to do?

XB-21 painting showing interior arrangement.

I'm still puzzled by the name "Dragon" used in the topic's title. It has circulated in connection with the XB-21 only in the past 15 years or so. Before that I can't remember ever reading about it anywhere (Dragon being the name of its competitor, the Douglas B-23). Unless of course the USAAC had allocated that name to the program and each manufacturer claimed it for their own project, in which case I want PROOF! It's like "Panther" or "Dragon" (again) in connection with the Martin XB-51. To me, unless someone comes up with either a company or USAAC document with the name in it, it just DOESN'T EXIST!!!

Attachments

• XB-21 cutaway art.jpg
    XB-21 cutaway art.jpg
    706.7 KB · Views: 107
Listed as the XB-21 Dragon in the old Lloyd Jones U.S. Bombers, 1980 printing.

In Avery's NA Aircraft 1934-1998, Vol.1 he mentions that the name Dragon, intended
for production B-21s was later reassigned to the B-23.

joncarrfarrelly said:
Listed as the XB-21 Dragon in the old Lloyd Jones U.S. Bombers, 1980 printing.

In Avery's NA Aircraft 1934-1998, Vol.1 he mentions that the name Dragon, intended
for production B-21s was later reassigned to the B-23.

I stand corrected. I do have the Jones book but completely overlooked the fact that it refered to the XB-21 as the Dragon.

I do not have the Avery book, but from what you're saying the name was contemplated for production, not necessarily the prototype.