Messerschmitt Bf 110/161 Projects & Prototypes

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Hi,

here is a comparison between BF.161-V2 and BF.162-V2.

Attachments

• BF.161-V2 & BF.162-V2.JPG
    BF.161-V2 & BF.162-V2.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 605
The Bf110H was a proposed follow-on to the Bf110G. Given the lengthy gestation and many shortcomings of the Me210/Me410, production of the older aircraft had gone on longer than anticipated. So improvements seemed worthwhile.

I have attached my drawing of the Bf110H-5, a proposed high-altitude, single-seat destroyer. It would have combined the extended, rounded wing tips of the B-series machines with stronger wing spars, DB605D/E engines, and GM-1 nitrous-oxide injection. A large nitrous-oxide tank would have replaced rear crew positions. Armament consisted of the usual two MK108 30x90-mm guns in the nose plus a single, 30x184-mm MK103 cannon, which I have drawn in an under-fuselage gondola. The 37x263-mm BK3.7 gun was also considered for this variant.

The Bf110H-2 was an otherwise similar two-seat high-altitude fighter-bomber. The Bf110H-4 was a three-seat seat high-altitude night fighter with a new type of Ebersbacher flame dampers fitted to the engines.

The Bf110H-6 was also a three-seat night fighter but abandoned the extended wingtips and the GM-1 in favor of MW-50 methanol/water injection for higher performance below the rated altitude of the engine. Extra armor was to be fitted in the pilot's cockpit.

The H-series variants never went into production. The extended wing tips and strengthend structure were abandoned first, so that engineers could concentrate on adapting the airframe for the DB605D/E and the DB605D/E for MW-50. But it was soon realized that the DB605D/E's larger supercharger would require new engine mounts and changes to the nacelle design. Since such changes would have disrupted production of the Bf110G, the H model was abandoned.

Source: <i>Messerschmitt Bf110/Me210/Me410: an Illustrated History</i>, by Heinz Mankau and Peter Patrick (Schiffer, 2003).

Attachments

• Bf110H-5.jpg
    Bf110H-5.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 566
Oh single seat Bf110! :eek: Thanks for sharing us a impressive drawing. I look forward your new work. :D
If she has a small canopy for single seat, it must be exciting shape, too.

blackkite said:
Oh single seat Bf110! :eek: Thanks for sharing us a impressive drawing. I look forward your new work. :D
If she has a small canopy for single seat, it must be exciting shape, too.

I agree that a different canopy would be interesting--perhaps the 109's Galland hood with a fairing. But, in fact, the single-seat variant is the one shown in my drawing. The canopy is the same as for the Bf110G. If you look closely, you will see that I have drawn what I think the GM-1 tank would have looked like in what would otherwise be the rear gunner's position (the shape of the tank--based on one proposed for the Me410--and its position are no more than a guess on my part). I suspect that any advantages that a new canopy might have provided would have been offset by the production problems that the change would have caused.

Robert,

wonderful info on the 110 H! I don't spend any time researching German ac anymore so it is great to see these gems popping up.

I'm sure you are quite correct about not wanting to slow production in order to change the canopy. Even in cases where the changes in performance were quite dramatic toward the positive it could take literally years before the change was instituted. The perfect example of that is the single tail for the B-24 which I describe in some detail in my book "Consolidated Mess". Though the tests performed in 1943 on the single tail were overwhelmingly positive in terms of stability, handling, speed, drag, etc., and communications from Europe commands began to come in to DC and Wright Field almost immediately asking when they could expect new single-tail B-24s, it wasn't until the B-24N that the USAAF would have received this mod. The Navy, of course, got single-tail stretch B-24s in the form of the PB4Y-2. The long logistics trail of finding manufacturers to produce all the component parts for a new tail assembly and building up a backlog of parts to enhance manufacturing of the finished aircraft, plus the potential impact on the delivery of parts for the existing design, make it clear why this change didn't take place earlier.

Once again, nice research and drawings, Robert!

AlanG

Me 110 H?
bf110g-4.gif

http://www.airwar.ru/enc/fww2/bf110g.html

I came across this on the Air Britain information exchange. It seems to have stumped everyone there.
The scan is from the German magazine Jet & Prop and shows an early mark Bf 110 fitted with an Me 210 style nose (but not an actual Me 210 nose which would be deeper) and retaining the Bf 110 canopy. It seems to lack any gun armament but is fitted with bomb racks.

I wonder if this wasn't some kind of dive-bombing trainer with the new nose offering improved visibility when making ground attacks?

Attachments

• Strange+Bf110+v3.pdf
    4.4 MB · Views: 77
Hood said:
The scan is from the German magazine Jet & Prop and shows an early mark Bf 110 fitted with an Me 210 style nose (but not an actual Me 210 nose which would be deeper) and retaining the Bf 110 canopy.

Thanks for sharing - quite unusual!
Reminds me Arado Ad-240 forward part.

P.S. I attached screenshot from your's PDF, hope, this would increase the impression for readers.
If not - please, tell me, I'll remove the picture.

Attachments

• 110-410.JPG
    110-410.JPG
    245.2 KB · Views: 407
From "luft archivs" ME 210 V 1

Attachments

• Me 210 V-1.jpg
    Me 210 V-1.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 364
From the book of Heinz Mankau and Peter Petrick "Messerschmitt Bf 110, Me 210, Me 410", page 336.
This picture shows Bf110V9 prototype

Attachments

• Bf110V9.JPG
    Bf110V9.JPG
    122.7 KB · Views: 138
Hi Silencer

Yes, I ve the two planes in "luft archiev"

but the problem is that the registration is the same
for the two plane !!! - D-AABF ??

toura said:
From "luft archivs" ME 210 V 1

Not the same machine. Notice the radiator is like that of the later series 110 in the wing/trailing edge.

Having done a sweep of Google it seems this airframe (re-designated V9 with the codes GK+AS) was a converted Bf 110 B-1, but nobody seems to know the reason behind the altered nose and the same images keep appearing.

Sadly in my initial search on the forum I missed that we had a previous thread on this topic: https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,3929.msg52014.html#msg52014
Mods please feel free to merge these posts.

Might have been intended as a testbed for testing some of the ME 210 features.

Work on what turned into the 210 started in 1937. At first it was merely studies on how to improve the 110 commence at the behest of Udet, but as the number of improvements quickly soared to 60+ it was decided to assign it a new project number and this became the 210.

According to Griehl the V9 was used for testing a modified cabin structure and then given to a training unit who used it until '44.

From Flugzeug Classic 9/2018.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    279.6 KB · Views: 212