Mitsubishi Q2M Taiyo (Navy Experimental 19-Shi Patrol Plane)

Red Lancer

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
Does anyone have a diagram of the Q2M1 "Taiyo" ASW aircraft. I'm particularly interested how the Type3 Model 1 MAD,Type 3 Ku-6 Model 4 Radar and ESM Antenna equipment etc changes the base structure of an original Ki-67.

Thanks

John

Hi! 17-shi Experimental Patrol Bomber "Taiyo,Q2M1". It had wooden structure. Kiro Honjo(本庄季郎,designer of G4M) designed this aircraft.
Wing span:25.0m, Length:18.75m, Height:4.75m, Wing Area:62.5m, Empty Weight:8,850kg, MTOW:13,600kg,
Wing Loading:217.6kg/m2, Engine:Mitsubishi Kasei(1,840hp in take off),
Max speed:491km/h, Range:3,700km
Source:JAPAN PROJECT AIRCRAFT, KOEI, Tokyo, 1997, ISBN4-87719-490-8 C0031

Attachments

• taiyo 1.jpg
    taiyo 1.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 778
  • taiyo 2.jpg
    taiyo 2.jpg
    382.2 KB · Views: 761
  • taiyo 3.jpg
    taiyo 3.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 607
Hi blackkite nice pics of the taiyo! this plane looks much much better than the flimsy looking Kyushu Q1W Tokai.
The Japanese were very advanced in developing type aircraft to counter the submarine thread,the allies didn't develop special aircraft designed to do anti submarine missions,they used waterplanes or torpedo bombers to do the job like the Catalina,Sunderland or Grumman TBF Avenger.
This plane was a worthy forerunner of the LockheedMartin P-3 Orion and the new Japanese Kawasaki designed patrol aircraft.
I'm curious what sort of electronics this aircraft used to do his job,has it special radar to detect US submarines? has it MAD electronics?

T-50 said:
Hi blackkite nice pics of the taiyo! this plane looks much much better than the flimsy looking Kyushu Q1W Tokai.
The Japanese were very advanced in developing type aircraft to counter the submarine thread,the allies didn't develop special aircraft designed to do anti submarine missions,they used waterplanes or torpedo bombers to do the job like the Catalina,Sunderland or Grumman TBF Avenger.
This plane was a worthy forerunner of the LockheedMartin P-3 Orion and the new Japanese Kawasaki designed patrol aircraft.
I'm curious what sort of electronics this aircraft used to do his job,has it special radar to detect US submarines? has it MAD electronics?

MAD, almost certainly. The Q1W1 was designed to use MAD(part of why it had a wooden structure). I'd be very surprised if the Q2M1 wasn't supposed to carry MAD.

BTW, these drawings are the best I've seen of Q2M1. Any chance of there being a three-view drawing of it?

I hear there was a successor planned for the tokai anti submarine aircraft,I believe the designation was Mitsubishi Q2O but I can be wrong.
Anyway I know it was a real existing project i hope some one knows more of this project.

The "Q" designator for Navy patrol planes was used for only the Kyushu Q1W Tokai ("Lorna") and two more unbuilt projects.
  • the Mitsubishi Q2M Taiyo (Navy Experimental 19-Shi Patrol Plane)
  • the Kyushu Q3W Nankai (Navy Patrol Plane)
I'm attaching a three-view arrangement of the Q2M.

Unfortunately I have no picture of the Q3W project.

Attachments

• Q2M1 19-Shi Taiyo bomber.png
    Q2M1 19-Shi Taiyo bomber.png
    47.6 KB · Views: 494
Mitsubishi Q2M, derived from the Mitsubishi Ki-67-I Hiryū "Peggy".

Attachments

• Q2M illustration.jpg
    Q2M illustration.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 422
Hi! 17-shi Experimental Patrol Bomber "Taiyo,Q2M1" A plan. It had wooden structure. Kiro Honjo(本庄季郎,designer of G4M) designed this aircraft.Wing span:25.0m, Length:18.75m, Height:4.75m, Wing Area:62.5m, Empty Weight:8,850kg, MTOW:13,600kg, Wing Loading:217.6kg/m2, Engine:Mitsubishi Kasei(1,840hp in take off), Max speed:491km/h, Range:3,700kmSource:JAPAN PROJECT AIRCRAFT, KOEI, Tokyo, 1997, ISBN4-87719-490-8 C0031

Mitsubishi had 2 plans for Taiyo design, plan A and plan B.

Attachments

• Taiyo B plan.jpg
    Taiyo B plan.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 166
  • Taiyo B plan drawing 1.jpg
    Taiyo B plan drawing 1.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 167
  • Taiyo A plan.jpg
    Taiyo A plan.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 178
  • taiyo 3.jpg
    taiyo 3.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 159
  • taiyo 2.jpg
    taiyo 2.jpg
    382.2 KB · Views: 167
  • taiyo 1.jpg
    taiyo 1.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 151
Thanks for enlighten the Taiyo picture Blackkite.
This design is sometimes confused with the Taizan , even in
Japanese publications...

lark said:
Thanks for enlighten the Taiyo picture Blackkite.
This design is sometimes confused with the Taizan , even in
Japanese publications...
Yes, but now thanks to recent publications we have more clear situation about this ! ::)

Hi guys thanks for the very interesting info and pics! Ididnt know there were so many pics of this very interesting aircraft!
Its probably the first special designed aircraft to do anti submarine activety!another japanese first!

Stargazer2006 said:
The "Q" designator for Navy patrol planes was used for only the Kyushu Q1W Tokai ("Lorna") and two more unbuilt projects.

Yes, thanks blackkite. Now I´ll wait for drawings and informations about the Kyushu Q3W.... ;)

Airman, can you give us a few titles and author names
of the 'recent publications' you mentions...?

Maveric said:
Stargazer2006 said:

Yes, thanks blackkite. Now I´ll wait for drawings and informations about the Kyushu Q3W.... ;)

The name's Stargazer2006, Mav!!... ;D ::)

T-50 said:
Hi guys thanks for the very interesting info and pics! Ididnt know there were so many pics of this very interesting aircraft!
Its probably the first special designed aircraft to do anti submarine activety!another japanese first!

The first purpose built anti-submarine aircraft was the Kyushu Q1W1 Tokai allied code name "Lorna". The Q2M Taiyo would have been a successor to the Q1W1.

From Wikipedia: Kyushu Q3W1 Nankai (South Sea): two place version of training aircraft Kyūshū K11W1 Shiragiku, for anti-submarine patrol - was equipped with sea-surface finding antisubmarine sonar (one prototype).

New topic split from the "Japanese Projects before 1945" thread...

Thanks for doing this Stargazer - it makes stuff much easier to find.

Hi Star! I will post some topics from recent Maru magazine. Little complicate tale. ;D
Please wait.

Hi,

the Q2M 3-view;

The Xplanes of Imperial Japanese Army & Navy 1924-1945

Attachments

• Q2M.png
    Q2M.png
    147.7 KB · Views: 241