XN-1 "Cameleon" jet fighter from Hungary (APRIL'S FOOL)

Suvorov

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
Hello and first of all excuse,for my English,please!

But it is interesting to know:whether who knows,whether there was in Hungary in 1944-1945 a project of jet fighter ХN-1 Cameleon or it is mystification?I read about it in one book in Russian.

The object under descriptions was a monoplane with a wing of type " the turned seagull ",two engines Jumo-004 and arms from two guns in calibre of 30-mm and four machine guns in calibre of 12,7-mm,two-four german uncontrollable rockets in calibre of 210-mm could be applied also.

As-as if it has been constructed two copies,one of them in a reconnaissance variant.The fighter has been brought down by "Mustang",in test flight above Austria in April,1945,and reconnaissance has been destroyed on the ground at a strike of the American aviation.

I'm pretty sure it's a fake. Unicraft Models in Ukraine, makes, or made a kit of it. There may be more info there. www.unicraftmodels.com

Suvorov said:
Hello and first of all excuse,for my English,please!

But it is interesting to know:whether who knows,whether there was in Hungary in 1944-1945 a project of jet fighter ХN-1 Cameleon or it is mystification?I read about it in one book in Russian.

The object under descriptions was a monoplane with a wing of type " the turned seagull ",two engines Jumo-004 and arms from two guns in calibre of 30-mm and four machine guns in calibre of 12,7-mm,two-four german uncontrollable rockets in calibre of 210-mm could be applied also.

As-as if it has been constructed two copies,one of them in a reconnaissance variant.The fighter has been brought down by "Mustang",in test flight above Austria in April,1945,and reconnaissance has been destroyed on the ground at a strike of the American aviation.

Cameleon fighter was an April foolsday joke by an Hungarian
magazine in the mid-sevenies.
Model was made of pieces from several other models..

Dear gentlemans!Thanks!

Has casually come on this site.Has found out a lot of the useful and interesting information.25 years am interested in aircraft.From eight-year age.Thanks creators of this site.

In occasion of the Hungarian jet fighter I doubt at all of technical abilities of Hungary,and in time of its creation. When Hungary capitulated?Really they in 1945 had opportunities for similar researches?Though all is possible... But I have even seen on a picture as this "miracle" probably looked:)

But I already for a long time know:eek:ften you think,that the project-fiction,and then casually you find information about its real existence...

Yes!Here still links:
This in the Hungarian language(someone can probably translate on English?): http://zsoltmilitary.tar.hu/kameleon.htm. And the second: http://www.treking-life.com/72/modellist-e.html

I can't translate the Hungarian article from the first link
but mention of 1 April 1945 in the text (just above the 3-view)
is perhaps an indication...

This is from Ukranian magazine Aviation & Time, #6 1995, where Mr. Kotlobovskiy seriously writes about two destroyed prototypes..

Attachments

• xn1.jpg
    xn1.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 492
I remember writing IIRC Georg Punka (sp?) who writes extensively for Sqauadron-Signal about the Hungarian AF. He adid it was a joke. Some friend of his made the model from some P-51, Stuka, and A-10 parts.

That's design's pretty sick! I like it! :eek: Now is there any way that Hungary could have gotten information from Germany in support of this design before she capitulated?

On the Zsolt Military link, this aircraft is called a XNI-02 Kaméleon. But, this discussion may be better suited to the model section.

From the Zsolt Military images, I'd guess that the model was based on the old Lindberg He-100D fuselage. If memory serves, that kit had a slide-in, one-piece horizontal tail (easily turned into the T-tail seen here).

As noted, the wings are obviously Ju-87 (with Stuka horizontal tails added as anhedralled outer sections). Maybe the engines started life as 1/144 A-10 nacelles before the stretching and pen nib additions started?

I love that, in the gun camera 'combat' shot, both XNI-02s had their undercarriages down including those Harrier-type outriggers :D

I'm from Hungary, as Lark wrote, this was an April foolsday joke by an Hungarian
magazine. I translated this article once, and sent it to Igor (Unicraft).

burunduk said:
This is from Ukranian magazine Aviation & Time, #6 1995, where Mr. Kotlobovskiy seriously writes about two destroyed prototypes..

They wrote; a prototype,as in the picture;

http://scalemodels.ru/articles/3963-vengerskijj-istrebitel-XNI-02-Kameleon---byl-ili-ne-byl.html
http://www.airwar.ru/enc/fww2/xni2.html

Attachments

• 1301610873_xni02_3.jpg
    1301610873_xni02_3.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 215
  • 1301610887_xni02_4.jpg
    1301610887_xni02_4.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 210
  • 15654159_7ac58f4b5663dafbf6bb43ad5c7c4101_s.jpg
    15654159_7ac58f4b5663dafbf6bb43ad5c7c4101_s.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 247