XN-1 "Cameleon" jet fighter from Hungary (APRIL'S FOOL)

Suvorov

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
Hello and first of all excuse,for my English,please!

But it is interesting to know:whether who knows,whether there was in Hungary in 1944-1945 a project of jet fighter ХN-1 Cameleon or it is mystification?I read about it in one book in Russian.

The object under descriptions was a monoplane with a wing of type " the turned seagull ",two engines Jumo-004 and arms from two guns in calibre of 30-mm and four machine guns in calibre of 12,7-mm,two-four german uncontrollable rockets in calibre of 210-mm could be applied also.

As-as if it has been constructed two copies,one of them in a reconnaissance variant.The fighter has been brought down by "Mustang",in test flight above Austria in April,1945,and reconnaissance has been destroyed on the ground at a strike of the American aviation.

I'm pretty sure it's a fake. Unicraft Models in Ukraine, makes, or made a kit of it. There may be more info there. www.unicraftmodels.com

Suvorov said:
Hello and first of all excuse,for my English,please!

But it is interesting to know:whether who knows,whether there was in Hungary in 1944-1945 a project of jet fighter ХN-1 Cameleon or it is mystification?I read about it in one book in Russian.

The object under descriptions was a monoplane with a wing of type " the turned seagull ",two engines Jumo-004 and arms from two guns in calibre of 30-mm and four machine guns in calibre of 12,7-mm,two-four german uncontrollable rockets in calibre of 210-mm could be applied also.

As-as if it has been constructed two copies,one of them in a reconnaissance variant.The fighter has been brought down by "Mustang",in test flight above Austria in April,1945,and reconnaissance has been destroyed on the ground at a strike of the American aviation.

Cameleon fighter was an April foolsday joke by an Hungarian
magazine in the mid-sevenies.
Model was made of pieces from several other models..

Dear gentlemans!Thanks!

Has casually come on this site.Has found out a lot of the useful and interesting information.25 years am interested in aircraft.From eight-year age.Thanks creators of this site.

In occasion of the Hungarian jet fighter I doubt at all of technical abilities of Hungary,and in time of its creation. When Hungary capitulated?Really they in 1945 had opportunities for similar researches?Though all is possible... But I have even seen on a picture as this "miracle" probably looked:)

But I already for a long time know:eek:ften you think,that the project-fiction,and then casually you find information about its real existence...

Yes!Here still links:
This in the Hungarian language(someone can probably translate on English?): http://zsoltmilitary.tar.hu/kameleon.htm. And the second: http://www.treking-life.com/72/modellist-e.html

I can't translate the Hungarian article from the first link
but mention of 1 April 1945 in the text (just above the 3-view)
is perhaps an indication...

This is from Ukranian magazine Aviation & Time, #6 1995, where Mr. Kotlobovskiy seriously writes about two destroyed prototypes..

Attachments

• xn1.jpg
    xn1.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 499
I remember writing IIRC Georg Punka (sp?) who writes extensively for Sqauadron-Signal about the Hungarian AF. He adid it was a joke. Some friend of his made the model from some P-51, Stuka, and A-10 parts.

That's design's pretty sick! I like it! :eek: Now is there any way that Hungary could have gotten information from Germany in support of this design before she capitulated?

On the Zsolt Military link, this aircraft is called a XNI-02 Kaméleon. But, this discussion may be better suited to the model section.

From the Zsolt Military images, I'd guess that the model was based on the old Lindberg He-100D fuselage. If memory serves, that kit had a slide-in, one-piece horizontal tail (easily turned into the T-tail seen here).

As noted, the wings are obviously Ju-87 (with Stuka horizontal tails added as anhedralled outer sections). Maybe the engines started life as 1/144 A-10 nacelles before the stretching and pen nib additions started?

I love that, in the gun camera 'combat' shot, both XNI-02s had their undercarriages down including those Harrier-type outriggers :D

I'm from Hungary, as Lark wrote, this was an April foolsday joke by an Hungarian
magazine. I translated this article once, and sent it to Igor (Unicraft).

burunduk said:
This is from Ukranian magazine Aviation & Time, #6 1995, where Mr. Kotlobovskiy seriously writes about two destroyed prototypes..

They wrote; a prototype,as in the picture;

http://scalemodels.ru/articles/3963-vengerskijj-istrebitel-XNI-02-Kameleon---byl-ili-ne-byl.html
http://www.airwar.ru/enc/fww2/xni2.html

Attachments

• 1301610873_xni02_3.jpg
    1301610873_xni02_3.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 219
  • 1301610887_xni02_4.jpg
    1301610887_xni02_4.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 215
  • 15654159_7ac58f4b5663dafbf6bb43ad5c7c4101_s.jpg
    15654159_7ac58f4b5663dafbf6bb43ad5c7c4101_s.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 254
Hi,

XNI-02 Attacker / Dive Bomber – Attacker variant powered by two BMW 003 turbojet engines. One prototype was built and was destroyed on April 1st of 1945 when Lieutenant R. Taylor of the 385th Fighter Group shot it down during a test flight.
XNI-02 Reconnaissance – Reconnaissance variant of the XNI-02. One incomplete prototype was in construction presumably at the Wiener Neustädter Flugzeugwerke factory in Austria. The prototype was destroyed by the Soviet troops.
XNI-02 Night Fighter – Intended night fighter variant. Details unknown.
XNI-02 Trainer – Intended trainer variant. Details unknown.
XNI-02 Night Bomber – Intended night bomber variant. An IR (Infrared Radiation) bombsight would have been installed in the nose for use by the radio operator / gunner (bombardier in this context).