ACCESS: Top Secret
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Greetings All -

From the Navy Newstand site:

http://www.navy.mil/view_single.asp?id=84422

Looks to be an AIM-9X Sidewinder...

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Yes, AIM-9X in a concentric canister with some form of gas generator to evacuate the column of water above the missile. In the last test, it was a pair of Zuni rocket motors.

http://www.navsea.navy.mil/Newswire2010/06MAY10-07.aspx
MAY06-07: Navy Successfully Concludes Water Piercing Missile Launcher Testing

WASHINGTON -Team Submarine's Undersea Technology Program Office (NAVSEA 073R) completed testing on the Water Piercing Missile Launcher (WPML), April 28, with a successful launch and fly-out of an AIM-9X surrogate missile at the Naval Surface Warfare Center Crane, Ind.
The WPML effort, while not a program of record, is designed to test and validate the ability of a submerged submarine to engage hostile aircraft and small, fast surface ships with a slightly-modified AIM-9X air-to-air missile that could be integrated into the attack and guided missile submarine fleets. WPML technology could provide the submarine force with a universal underwater launch technology capable of employing currently-deployed weapons and payloads without significant modification to the weapon itself.
Utilizing an already existing concentric canister launcher, NAVSEA 073R tested three different methods of ejecting an AIM-9X-like shape from the equivalent of periscope depth.
"To get the missile from the submerged sled, we needed to create a hole in the water column," said Cmdr. Mike Douglass, Team Submarine's Undersea Technology program manager. "We tested using the rocket's own exhaust, compressed air, and a carbon dioxide heated propellant to form the gas pocket and found that each worked."
With this last test, NAVSEA 073R placed the missile on a submerged platform that also traveled horizontally at a tactically-relevant speed and used the exhaust from two Zuni rockets to form an air pocket that got the missile about half way through the water column. The missile was to pass through the gaps formed by the rocket exhaust and then used its own motor to get it through the water.
"The end result," Douglass concluded, "the AIM-9X surrogate flew through the submerged air pocket, through the remaining water column, remained stable, and reached our planned altitude of 400-feet without a problem."
"As our submarines continue to operate in shallow and congested waters," said Rear Adm. David Johnson, NAVSEA's deputy commander for Undersea Technology and the Navy's Submarine Force's Chief Technology Officer, "they are more likely to encounter potentially hostile air and surface forces. The WPML, coupled with a littoral warfare weapon such as a modified AIM-9X, could provide our forces with a stand and fight capability. We have proven the concept and reduced much of the risk involved with adding this capability to the fleet."

A test missile is launched from a water-piercing missile launcher at the Naval Surface Warfare Center.

Source:
http://www.militarynewsnetwork.com/magazine/nov2010n.htm

Attachments

• waterpiercing2.jpg
    waterpiercing2.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 625
I like the idea of an SSAN Trident converted to carry a few hundred anti-air missiles laying submerged off the coast of Taiwan. A single boat takes out the bulk of the Chinese Air Force ;D

Wouldn't SIAM be an easier alternative, that perhaps even works from a greater depth ? Sending a
buoyant launch canister to the surface probably is less problematic, than to fire those rocket motors
under water. And it may even be stealthier ...

Presumably the noise made by the launch is considered less of a threat than the ASW asset that's overhead? This feels like a 'last ditch' system but I suppose it gives the submarine commander more options.

bobbymike said:
I like the idea of an SSAN Trident converted to carry a few hundred anti-air missiles laying submerged off the coast of Taiwan. A single boat takes out the bulk of the Chinese Air Force ;D

I like to think of the LULZ that would occur with a SSGN full of SM-6s and CEC capability during a Taiwan scenario.

An artist's impression of the Water Piercing Missile Operational Concept.

NOTE: Missile tube would be installed in a submarine.

Source:
http://www.navy.mil/view_single.asp?id=84422

Attachments

• 100415-N-9999X-002.jpg
    100415-N-9999X-002.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 536
Given that all of the sub-launched SAMs are short-range models, and the lack of any kind of search capability, it's hard to see a sub interdicting a lot of airspace. It's suitable for a sub cornered by MPAs and helos to fight their way out, but that's about it.

And that's, why I think, to eject a launch canister, that may allow the missile to search for a target for a longer time,
may be a better solution.The sub could launch one, two or even three of them, that are then acting as helicopter/aircraft mines,
without giving a precise datum to the enemy.

it always fascinating for me, how old Sci-Fi tech of 1960s (Raumpratrouille Orion) or 1980s (Terrahawks) resurface as Real technology...

for those who not understand:
in those Sci-fi Tv series, the Heros craft surface true a vortices from there underwater Base.

How many anti-helicopters would a sub hunter carry ? More to the point, how many dunking sonars ? There may be some logic in being able to force your hunter to 'cut & run'...

Attachments

• orion_start.jpg
    orion_start.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 387
Jemiba said:
Is the depth mentioned anywhere, from which the missile should be launched ?
Judging the sketch it's just about 2 meters...

They say periscope depth, I think.

BTW: I keep meaning to post this link to a paper describing the physics of the situation:

http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2008ballistics/Thursday/Yagla.pdf

I can't attach it from where I am; if someone else would like to, please go ahead.