Russian Helicopters

Triton

Donald McKelvy
Reaction score
Website
deeptowild.blogspot.com
Is it likely that the Kamov and Mil names and designations will disappear in favor of a common designation for Russian Helicopters?

I think, there's a commercial value in a companies name and that probably is
known in Russia, too.

Triton said:
Is it likely that the Kamov and Mil names and designations will disappear in favor of a common designation for Russian Helicopters?

Why would they?? Is there some new element I may have missed in the news while I was away on holiday?

Stargazer2006 said:
Triton said:

Why would they?? Is there some new element I may have missed in the news while I was away on holiday?

The merger of European aerospace companies created EADS. Consolidation of the helicopter operations created Eurocopter and a re-designation of model numbers.

The Russian companies still aren't merged, AFAIK.
The question maybe was triggered by the appointment of Rosoboronexport
as the sole agency for military exports since 2000 ?
Would at least ease making the mail-order catalogue ! ;)

No. I asked especially that question, specifically how to name a new designs (Rachel and such) and they still will be named after design bureau or manufacturing company.

Matej said:
No. I asked especially that question, specifically how to name a new designs (Rachel and such) and they still will be named after design bureau or manufacturing company.

Asked whom, Matej? A representative of Kamov or Mil?

http://en.rian.ru/military_news/20120118/170827350.html

Russian Helicopters has received 5 billion rubles ($160 mln) from the federal budget for the development of three types of unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV).

After charging that smaller domestic developers wasted public funds - and pointedly purchasing Israeli drones for military trials - the Defense Ministry has switched to a big holding with sufficient capacity to develop and produce indigenous UAVs.

According to the Gazeta.ru portal, the company has been contracted by the Russian Defense Ministry to develop light-, medium-, and heavy-weight rotary UAVs for reconnaissance, strike and transportation purposes.

A prototype of a short-range drone, Ka-135, with carrying capacity of up to 100 kg, must be developed by 2015.

A heavy-weight UAV, dubbed Albatros, is expected to be developed by 2017. It can be used as a strike or transport drone.

The most recent contract envisions the development of a medium-weight UAV with operational range of up to 300 km.

If successful, Russian Helicopters may receive additional funding in the future to develop two more types of UAVs to be delivered to the military and police.

By the way, perhaps this topic could be moved from the Bar over to Designation Systems?

The designation "Ka-135" seems to prove, that the trade mark "Kamov" will survive, so probably
the other marks (mainly Mil, I think), too, at least for the foreseeable future. Question answered !
The designations section is mainly meant for listing designations of specific manufacturers, so I think,
this thread can remain here. ;)

For those who didn't notice, several months ago stand-alone web sites of Kamov and MVZ went to daisies
Kamov and Mil will be united under one united RH design center
V-37(Mi-37) is marketed solely by RACHEL name

The point about the Mi-37 actually slipped my attention, but looking at http://www.russianhelicopters.aero/,
I didn't found a clue, that the Ka-50/52 will be re-branded as, say RH-50/52 and the
design bureaus are still mentioned on its own. Of course, this doesn't rule out such a
renaming campaign in the future, and for completely new designs, this may not be harmful,
but as already mentioned, a trade name is a value on its own, so, why give it away ?

Triton said:
The merger of European aerospace companies created EADS. Consolidation of the helicopter operations created Eurocopter and a re-designation of model numbers.

True, but it is still pretty clear what Eurocopter projects are from the Aerospatiale and MBB bureaus. The "100+" numbers are from MBB and continue all the way from the Bölkow era (EC 117, EC 135...) while the "300+" and "500+" numbers are clearly from Aerospatiale and carry on from the old Sud-Aviation, then Aerospatiale system (EC 332, EC 535...).

So, considering the attachment that Russia has for its aerospace history, I believe the Mil- and Ka- prefixes could be preserved in a similar manner to continue to indicate from what design bureau the type comes from.

What will happen to the production plants that produce the helicopters will they remain separate or will they be absorbed too?