Kugisho NK-1b fighter - real project or fake?

Hesham

The origin of that profile is from the Japanese Secret Projects book:

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,6111.0.html

From the book page 68:

"During this time, it may have been
the lJN who decided to conduct its own studies
of high speed aircraft with KOgishO
assigned the task of doing so. "

One of the studies described is the Kugisho NK-1b fighter and the another one is the Kugisho DB-601 fighter:

kug-db601-box.jpg

My dear hesham.
Perhaps NK-1b means Nakajima NK-1b engine (Sakae(栄) 11 gata, HA25 engine) for type 97 carrier torpedo bomber.
It's the first time for me to see such a radical design. Where is the oil cooler, landing gear and armaments?

NK-1b engine
Take off power : 1000hp(2550rpm), Altitude power : 980hp(2500rpm/3000m), Double row 14 cylinders air cooling radial , Bore : 130mm,
stroke : 150mm, Displacement : 27.9L, Compression ratio : 7.2, Diameter : 1150mm, Dry weight : 530kg, Production period : D.C.1939 to 1941

The so-called "NK-1b fighter" (I don't found this designation in Japanese sources) was one of many research studies done by Kugisho engineers under the generic term Shisei-ki Kugisho Seino Suisan (Kugisho Prototypes Estimated Performance, 試製機空技廠性能推算) or Seino Hyojun in short (Performance Standard, 性能標準). These research studies was done permanently for almost every type of aircraft used and planned for use by the IJNAF. These was not the detailed projects ready for prototyp built but rather studies for future demands of aircraft performance. Seino Hyojun was used by Kaigun Koku Honbu and Gunreibu for preparation of an appropriate specifications, which was later send to aircraft manufacturers.

One of these Seino Hyojun, dated 19 March 1941, was about future carrier fighter (Kansen). They called for following parameters: engine 15-Shi Ru-Go (十五試ル号), wingspan 12.5 m, length 10.0 m, wing area 24.8 sq. m, take-off weight 3100 kg, max loaded weight 3250 kg, wing loading 125 kg per sq. m, max speed 639 km/h (345 knots) at 6000 m, flight endurance 1-2 hours at max speed, range 2315 km (1250 Nm), take-off distance 70 m with wind from head 12 m/s, armament (1st variant) 2x20 mm (120 rounds of ammunition) and 2x7.7 mm (800 rounds) or (2nd variant) 2x20 mm (120 rounds) or 1x20 mm motor cannon (120 rounds) and 2x13 mm (300 rounds), necessary equipment - short-range (185 km, 100 Nm) or long-range (926 km, 500 Nm) radio, radio direction finder. 15-Shi Ru-Go (十五試ル号) engine was in fact Nakajima NK9 Homare (誉), then in prototype stage.

Regards,

LAW

Alcides said:
Hesham

The origin of that profile is from the Japanese Secret Projects book:

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,6111.0.html

From the book page 68:

"During this time, it may have been
the lJN who decided to conduct its own studies
of high speed aircraft with KOgishO
assigned the task of doing so. "

One of the studies described is the Kugisho NK-1b fighter and the another one is the Kugisho DB-601 fighter:

kug-db601-box.jpg

I can't find radiator. Skin cooler? :-[

Sorry blackkite, but I can't found any information about cooling in the book :(
But I think this can be the case to avoid drag at maximum.

could be a speculative project or a forgotten project that must be discovered !

With a DB 601 engine I principly cannot see many reason for the cockpit so far aft.
Other designs made efforts (e.g. shaft driven props) for placing the pilot as far forward,
as possible to give a better view, especially for take-off and landing, here it seems to be
the other way round. And as a tail dragger view ahead must have nbeen abbysmal !

With a DB 601 engine I principly cannot see many reason for the cockpit so far aft.
Fuel tank in the centre fuselage over the cg for minimum trim change?
Overall this 'project' reminds me of the Me 209V1...

cheers,
Robin.

Attachments

• me 209 side view.png
    me 209 side view.png
    152.3 KB · Views: 350
  • me-209 3-view.png
    me-209 3-view.png
    66.8 KB · Views: 352
robunos said:
Fuel tank in the centre fuselage over the cg for minimum trim change?
Overall this 'project' reminds me of the Me 209V1...

cheers,
Robin.
Oh! I think it's good point.

Back
Top Bottom